OK I'm based in Scotland, and I'm considering studying music at University, preferrably Glasgow.

I can't fully make sense of the Course descriptions, so can someone with experience break down the grades/skill I'll need to get in? A Bachelor's degree appears to need a Grade 8 audition, while a Master's needs a B pass at Higher music?

If anyone can help and give me advice on what the courses are like, which Universities are good etc, then it'd be greatly appreciated.

Universities preferred in Scotland as I'm able to study free there.

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm also planning to go to the Uni Open days, so I'll try and glean some information there if no-one can help.
Last edited by Heavens_To_Hell at Aug 27, 2009,
The Applied Music course at Strathclydes apparently quite good. My music teachers have been recommending it to me.
sounds like you need grade 8 in the instrument you play to get into that uni. As for the master's part this is the bit after uni (optional) to further you're education and sounds like you need a B or higher to be able to do the masters.
I've just done a music technology degree btw.
This is gonna sound very western, but what kind of music do they study there? bag pipes?
Quote by Stingray5
This is gonna sound very western, but what kind of music do they study there? bag pipes?

Yes. They also eat lots of haggis, and go Nessie hunting each fortnight.
^^Any music. You can choose to study Scottish music specifically though...

And to stiff-upper-lip: I need to be grade 8 to get in, but then higher music to continue?
Quote by Fraz01
Yes. They also eat lots of haggis, and go Nessie hunting each fortnight.

whatsa fortnight?
Quote by Stingray5
whatsa fortnight?

2 Weeks.

Is that not an international phrase? Or are you just being sarcastic/thick?
lol at the four consecutive identical posts.

and i can play bagpipes
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
idk **** about scotland. or wherever.
i plan on going to musicians institute in cali.
still gotta get more info on it though.
Could someone maybe tell me the kind of knowledge I'd need to have?

Glasgow says that during the audition I'll be given a "simple aural test." Any idea what this could involve?

I'm considering being tested to achieve my grade 8 beforehand anyway, just to check I can play at the correct level.
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
Could someone maybe tell me the kind of knowledge I'd need to have?

Glasgow says that during the audition I'll be given a "simple aural test." Any idea what this could involve?

I'm considering being tested to achieve my grade 8 beforehand anyway, just to check I can play at the correct level.

You should definitely get your grade 8.

Universities that are considerably easier to get a place at than Glasgow require grade 8 in 1st and grade 5 in 2nd instruments, so you should really check their requirements.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Fraz01
Damn Scots, getting free education, mumble grumble.

Subsidized by the tax payer of England.

Not forgetting we have a one-eyed Scot fatty running our country!!!! mumble grumble

Music at uni FTW though dude..... do it.
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
^^Any music. You can choose to study Scottish music specifically though...

And to stiff-upper-lip: I need to be grade 8 to get in, but then higher music to continue?

Grade 8 is the highest level you can be, Theres diploma's and all sorts after the grades.
I'm currently looking at the applied music course in Strathclyde. Grade 7 playing, and seems like a really interesting course.

Anyone else on the course?
im getting ready to do this in canada and we have similar requirements (grade 8rcm) a masters is after a bacholors which meanns you want to go back to school and do more music. which means that you bot a B when you got your B.A.

EDIT: wow. huge run on sentence i'm too lazy to fix. and spelling errors i'm too lazy to fix.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Sep 1, 2009,