What are peoples thoughts on this

I'm currently playing metallica stuff in DGCFAD (master of puppets, seek and destroy enter sandman, whereever i may roam

It sounds pretty good imo, not the same as the orignal but still good, just sounds heavier

What are peoples thoughts on playing songs in alternate tunings, like when people do cover songs, do you prefer them using the same tuning to the song? or a different one, as long as it sounds good?

I think i prefer people using different tunings or changing notes / making it sound slightly different to the original
I like playing half a step down.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
BMTH style,

Drop A#
Quote by steven seagull
Howver, Spider have pretty lights to keep kids with ADD occupied.

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
I usually play in D standard.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
What do people think about bands playing live or people doing cover videos

Should you play in the orignal tuning, or use the tuning you wish to use? (DGCFAD, Metallica) in this case
Its just in a different key, but cause its lower metalheads will adore it
Quote by daytripper75
This man speaks the truth.
Lowering standard tuning is not an alternative tuning. It's just standard a bit lower.

If someone is covering a song, they can feel free to totally change it, maybe only using one verse or riff from the original piece, so like everything else, the tuning really doesn't matter much to the overall piece.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
playing in open G is great for Muddy Waters Stuff, and Open D is great for Elmore James stuff. Open E is for the Allman brothers, but that's bad for the neck, so I just capo II in Open D.
Uh... you're not playing in an alternate tuning. Just playing it in a different key.

The best example I can think of playing a song in multiple tunings is Led Zeppelin's rain song... it uses DGCGCD, but a ton of people play it in standard (with varying degrees of success)
Quote by BoL7z
Is it true metallica play in Eb live?

Possibly, a lot of bands play live songs in a lower tuning so they won't kill the singers' voice
Also a lot of classic rock. A lot of bands tend to have their guitars tuned 1/4 step down, I'm sure they must have tuned either by ear or by matching the strings with piano keys. It's essentially not much different, a lot of people actually won't recognize the difference in this case.

I never understood how that Rain Song thing in E worked. Rather freaky if you ask me.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by ZeroCS
Also a lot of classic rock. A lot of bands tend to have their guitars tuned 1/4 step down, I'm sure they must have tuned either by ear or by matching the strings with piano keys. It's essentially not much different, a lot of people actually won't recognize the difference in this case.

I never understood how that Rain Song thing in E worked. Rather freaky if you ask me.
Well... it's played with different fingerings, I used to play it in E because my guitar teacher learned the song way back when and he learned it in E and taught it to me in E (this was just before online internet tabs got really big) and it was very difficult and certain parts (especially those little licks here and there) were just a huge pain in the ass, particularly since I was like... 8 years old and my hands were tiny, but when I switched to playing right handed several years ago I kind of had to relearn how to play guitar (I started out left handed), and I learned it the way Page actually played it and it's actually very easy with lots of open chords and bars (and fun to play because it's easy to make it sound good)
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Well... it's played with different fingerings, I used to play it in E because my guitar teacher learned the song way back when and he learned it in E and taught it to me in E (this was just before online internet tabs got really big) and it was very difficult and certain parts (especially those little licks here and there) were just a huge pain in the ass, particularly since I was like... 8 years old and my hands were tiny, but when I switched to playing right handed several years ago I kind of had to relearn how to play guitar (I started out left handed), and I learned it the way Page actually played it and it's actually very easy with lots of open chords and bars (and fun to play because it's easy to make it sound good)

I know it's different fingerings, I just wonder what makes it stand out so much that it can be played in two seperate tunings. Then again, not alot of people tune to DGCGCD so that might be the reason. Kind of inspired to learn the song, I don't listen to much Zeppelin...sadly.

That switch from lefty to righty guitars must have been a bitch.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

Definitely learn it when you have the time, it's not particularly difficult, it feels very natural to play, and it's just a beautiful piece of music. I think everyone should at least try to listen to Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Page is a true artist and a magician on the guitar, a lot of players really just don't appreciate the subtleties of his playing and his merits as a composer and writer are too often overshadowed by the fact that he semi-stole some blues standards and folk standards.
Quote by al112987
Definitely learn it when you have the time, it's not particularly difficult, it feels very natural to play, and it's just a beautiful piece of music. I think everyone should at least try to listen to Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Page is a true artist and a magician on the guitar, a lot of players really just don't appreciate the subtleties of his playing and his merits as a composer and writer are too often overshadowed by the fact that he semi-stole some blues standards and folk standards.

Everyone steals stuff from each other with guitar. Kind of instinct at some point.

Can't say I ever judged for that, if anything at all, but I have heard him play before. Not really enough to label him anything but I certainly will give him and Zep a chance. I've only heard a few of their songs, most of them I wouldn't know other than Stairway To Heaven, but who doesn't know that song nowadays...
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7