Okay so I currently only have enough spare cash to get either a guitar (and get some EMGs to beautify it with) or an amp. Which do I do? I'm not totally happy with the guitar or the amp I have at the minute, but both would be bearable until I got enough money to replace the one that I didn't get now.

Fellow UGers. Which should I get first? Guitar or amp?

In case you care, the amp I will be getting is a Peavey Valveking, and although i'm not sure about the guitar, I'm going to get one that has a nice neck and doesn't cost over £350 when added to the cost of the EMGs.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Amp is like 90% of your tone. I'd say amp.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Amp. Nice choice on the amp btw
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Amp....

I like your quote....

I is a college graduate

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
hmm most ppl say amp but im never sure. amp is your tone thats a fact but if you care about playability more then buy a guitar
Quote by soul.power
Amp is like 90% of your tone. I'd say amp.

i was thinking that, although my current guitar keeps going out of tune (no idea why, i'm not paying to get it checked out) and i'm not happy with it. which is why i'm asking here. i also thought EMGs would make quite a bit of difference to the tone.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
You'd get more fun out a new guitar IMO - I am one of many people advised to get an amp before guitar... I can say I benefited in that I am getting a MUCH more expensive guitar than I would have earlier... and a much more informed choice now I am mature enough to know what it is I want, and to know that the big brand names like Gibson are frankly not worth bothering with in most cases when your looking for quality and value for money.
i was going to get a cheap guitar that i like the feel of, ignoring how it sounds when plugged in, because i figured i'm only going to change the pick-ups, so it didnt matter. am i right to think that?
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Quote by Mr.Feather
i was thinking that, although my current guitar keeps going out of tune (no idea why, i'm not paying to get it checked out) and i'm not happy with it. which is why i'm asking here. i also thought EMGs would make quite a bit of difference to the tone.

Bring you guitar to a luthier, probably it's setup badly
No. Everything on a guitar affects the sound, from the wood quality to the hardware to the build quality. A beginner may not notice the difference between a cheap guitar and a good guitar with the same pickups, but the difference is there.
Quote by Mr.Feather
i was going to get a cheap guitar that i like the feel of, ignoring how it sounds when plugged in, because i figured i'm only going to change the pick-ups, so it didnt matter. am i right to think that?

i think if you're going to get a guitar get a nice one. if you're planning on getting a cheap-o guitar anyway then get an amp.

if you wanted to put some money into a nice guitar (which i think is more important than an amp because a good guitar can improve you as a player, an amp just changes your sound) but if you're going to get a squire and put new pickups in it or something go amp.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
You're better off buying a better guitar than buying a cheap one and then changing pickups.

I think too many people are !!OMG EMG'S!!!$&$^&!!! when they should be down on the priority list. They should DEFINATELY be behind a good amp.
i wasn't going to get a cheap guitar. just a cheaper guitar.

which would sound better: a good guitar with a crappy amp, or a crappy guitar with a peavey valveking?
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
I would say a Crappy guitar with the Valveking. It's a nice amp, I'm getting one soon too. But if your only going to be spending 350 euros or whetever, it's still gonna be a crappy guitar AND a crappy amp. Get the amp first
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
ha I like your sig...

And amp first.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
For me if the guitar doesn't feel right then you won't enjoy playing it. I would get a decent guitar first and the amp second. That is unless you have a guitar you are happy with already.
Here's a ranking...see who agrees with this...

Ranking best sound, like golf scores, the lower the better.

Remember, this is ranking how it sounds, not how well it's payed.

1. Good Player + Good Guitar + Good AMP
2. Good Player + Crappy Guitar + Good AMP
3. Good Player + Good Guitar + Crappy AMP
4. Good Player + Crappy Guitar + Crappy AMP
5. Crappy Player + Good Guitar + Good AMP
6. Crappy Player + Crappy Guitar + Good AMP
7. Crappy Player + Good Guitar + Crappy AMP
8. Crappy Player + Crappy Guitar + Crappy AMP

Personally I look at it like this:
If you currently don't play well and want to get better, get a good guitar before amp.

If you're already pretty good at playing and want to sound better, then get a new AMP first.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 27, 2009,
i'm not sure how good i am to say i've been playing a year. i'm slightly better than my friend who's been playing 5 years (although that probably says more about him than it does me).

i think i've decided that i'll get a guitar, because i'm not happy with mine at the minute, and i guess i can put up with my spider until i get the valveking... it'll be worth the wait.

i'm not going to get a cheaper guitar and stick emgs in it as i originally planned though. i'm gonna get a jackson (most likely) and then save for the amp. then later on i will consider the emgs.

thanks for all your help guys! ;D
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Is your current amp solid state?
If so, getting a guitar and putting EMGs in will only sound worse