Long time lurker, first post

I have been playing for 2 months, on my own, I try and practice 1 to 1:30 hour a day. I do warm ups for 10-15 minutes, scales for 15-20 minutes, play some simple songs that I can remember (no tab) and then I do a lesson from UG that I printed out for about 20-30 minutes and then try and play something that I KNOW that I can not play (master of puppets, one, number of the beast etc......) and this has been my practice schedule for the the time being.

Yesterday I began a new lesson from UG

---------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------
----------4----------5----------6----------
-------3----------4----------5-------------
----2----------3----------4----------------
-1----------2----------3-------------------

and so on till the 12th fret and then move up off the low E to the A string, rinse and and repeat.

What I noticed is that my ring finger seems to locked to my middle finger. Now I do realize that this is common thing, but I thought that it was mostly the up and down motion (where you move you middle finger up and the ring will follow), but what I'm seeing is that I can't spread them out like and can my pinky and/or my first finger. Is this common? What can I do do help this movement increase.

As an example the first fingering above, finger 1 (pointer) low E string, finger 2 (middle) A string no problem but to get finger 3 (ring) to hit the D string 3rd fret, wow that seem EXTREMLEY difficult, pinky hitting the G string 4th fret no problem. Any advice, I know practice practice practice.

Thanks in advance
Nick F
I don't really understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying your fingers are stuck together to closely and you can't spread them out? If you you can look for some hand exercises to get your hands more loose. If, that's what you are talking about.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Oscar Wilde
practise yes.

I had the same problem starting out.
What I did was when I wasn't playing guitar and just waiting at a restaurant or something. I would just use my nonfretting hand to seperate the two finger extensively for a couple times. maken them "losen up".

If you do these couple times a day for a couple weeks your muscles in your fingers will be much more flexible
yes spreading out my ring finger from my middle finger is difficult, It's like my mind is telling my finger to move and I can feel my hand tense up trying to move the finger to stretch to the fret but it just will not move.
you haven't been playing for very long and your hands just simply aren't used to being stretched like that. Those kind of things take time. Just stretch out your fingers alot, do a lot of finger excercises on the guitar to build up finger independance, and just keep practicing. It will eventually go away with time, and you probably wont even notice when it happens.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Check out John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD. He has a really good finger stretching exercise. It really helped me a lot.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Those two fingers share a tendon (is it a tendon?), so physically speaking that would make sense.

You just have to work through it, it comes.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by Antis0cial
practise yes.

I had the same problem starting out.
What I did was when I wasn't playing guitar and just waiting at a restaurant or something. I would just use my nonfretting hand to seperate the two finger extensively for a couple times. maken them "losen up".

If you do these couple times a day for a couple weeks your muscles in your fingers will be much more flexible

+1

Its because you haven't yet developed the right muscles to move that way. Also try this:

http://www.chainsawguitartuition.net/articles/HandExercises.html

Its a common thing to happen, so dont worry too much.
Last edited by chainsawguitar at Sep 2, 2009,
Thanks everybody for the replies. As I thought the only answer is practice, practice, practice.

Can anyone recommend some exercises that I can do while not playing the guitar to help this along more quickly, other than just stretching the fingers apart?
the excersice that piano players do is also good for this.

just press each finger in it's turn on your thumb. So first index touches thumb then middle etc...

this ofcourse on your fretting hand.
If you don't understand it google piano excersices, I'm sure it will come up

[font="Courier New"]e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|----------6----8----6----8-----6----8--------------------------------------|
D|-------5----7----5----7----5-----7-----------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
[/FONT]

Try that. I know I've posted it before, but hey. It can't hurt right?

Unless you do it wrong...
5 = index
6 = middle
7 = ring
8 = pinky
Use alternate picking.

Aaaand, then you can use this next one (which is better)

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|------------6-8------6-8-----6-8-------------------------------------------|
D|-------5-7------5-7-----5-7------------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hope this helps

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
For what it's worth, Freepower's done a rather good finger independence lesson... erm, here . I can safely say it worked pretty well for me (okay, I'm still useless, but the fingers on my fretting hand are useless on their own, not as a hopeless, flailing group). It's not the most comfortable exercise in the world, but it's definately a good one.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.