Hi.

Well today my first bass has arrived and I've played it for about 2 and a half hours. I haven't even put a pick to it yet because I'm very concerned that I might be being too reliable on the idea of using one (I've been playing somebody elses bass for nearly two years using a pick).

I want to know if you can reccomend me an online resource for teaching me finger picking technique/s. Whether it's a lot of text, picture based or a video it is all good.

Currently I'm just doing what 'feels' right and I think there's a chance I might be harming myself or be playing in a very inefficient manner. My method is using all four fingers usually in alignment to what finger I'm using to finger the current note. Fret with index finger - pick with index finger, fret with little finger - pick with little finger.

Looking forward to your replies
I collect clothes and IKEA furniture. Who are you?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Start off with picking with your index and middle fingers (Or 1&2) going back and forth. No matter which fingers you are using on your fretting hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TDTSSOOV20

Thank you for that I've gone through the video just now. I'll be sure to go through it a few more times again and include it in part of my "technique" practice.

Thanks Xtala. I actually looked at that website a few months ago prior to getting my bass. I think I actually looked on the plucking page too. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention. I've just gone through that also. The 1/2 practice is also mentioned there too.

That site is getting a bookmark.
I collect clothes and IKEA furniture. Who are you?