Hi.

I know it is hard and obviously this is something you'd need a pick for but do you think it is good for the strings?

I was doing it once on my friends bass and he hadn't restrung it properly (not even a full wrap around any tuning posts) and the string broke.

Anyway, I gave him a rubbish pack of strings to compensate but what I would like to know is:

Should you expect strings to start breaking when you do this?

I think the break in question looked like it was at the bridge; almost as if the string had been 'stretched' because a long part of it looked very thin.

It was in standard tuning too.

I'm begining to think this isn't a safe idea but I would like someone more knowledgable to help me out on this.
I collect clothes and IKEA furniture. Who are you?
i personally play 16ths all the time and my strings never break, it probably had something to do with how he restrung it wrong he probably had it tuned standard but like a whole octave up explaining how it looked stretched.
You shouldn't have gave him anything. He never strung it properly and as a result the string broke. It would be fine if he strung it right. If the tremolo picking on the song Brianstorm by the Arctic Monkeys is 16ths then its no problem at all because I play that song a lot and my strings haven't broke.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Actually, you don't need a pick for it at all... common misconception is that picking makes it easier to play fast but I find you can play much faster and accurately with fingers. And yeah, I've had the same strings on my bass since like, February and they haven't even come close to breaking. And I play 16ths frequently.
Bass strings are really hard to break. I've broken exactly 1 bass string and 1 guitar string in my entire life. I've been playing bass for 4 years, and the string only broke because it was defective. I've been playing guitar since I stole my dads old acoustic 2 weeks ago.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by Steve08
Actually, you don't need a pick for it at all... common misconception is that picking makes it easier to play fast but I find you can play much faster and accurately with fingers. And yeah, I've had the same strings on my bass since like, February and they haven't even come close to breaking. And I play 16ths frequently.

I've heard that many times. My finger needs some time to develop first though

Two and a half hours in a day isn't bad but I'm unsure if I can keep that up but when I have a gig a week away can normally keep it up for most days.

Thanks to everyone else for telling me how it is with the trem picking. I'm still scared but my baby is so new and I haven't even plugged her in to anything yet - not even a tuner!
I've never broken a bass string ever, but I have broken bridges, tuners, nuts, input jacks, etc on guitars
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
no, if guitarists can pick that fast on their flimsy strings then your thickies will be fine.

speaking of which, I really can't finger tremolo on bass either, though I'm not all that good with a pick either (however, I tremolo pick on guitar like a fricken beast, speed pick riffs are just about all I can play fluidly besides full arm chording).

I prefer to do small bursts with three fingers, it doesn't sound all that bad
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Casketcreep
Why's that?

Because I've only practicing finger picking for 4 hours (over two days).
i have had a string break in the same way. it was my E string of all of them.. it was a warm day , although i doubt that makes a difference. i used to have to use a pick for 16ths. just practice and it will become easy with fingers.
EDIT: it took me about 18 months to get up to the speed i am now at with fingers. if you can, move to using 3 fingers as soon as you can. makes it much easier imo
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by moody git
i have had a string break in the same way. it was my E string of all of them.. it was a warm day , although i doubt that makes a difference. i used to have to use a pick for 16ths. just practice and it will become easy with fingers.
EDIT: it took me about 18 months to get up to the speed i am now at with fingers. if you can, move to using 3 fingers as soon as you can. makes it much easier imo

Thanks for the advice git.

I already have very strong independence of fingers from being a guitarist and I have been doing 3 and 4 finger excercises I thought it might be a bad thing doing it so early but cheers for the heads up.

Should be fine doing 2,3 and 4 finger techniques. I practice about 2 hours a day. Hopefully less than 18 months!

I've got a gig in October where I need to play the 16th really fast lol
Quote by Ryan D' Ale
Thanks for the advice git.

I already have very strong independence of fingers from being a guitarist and I have been doing 3 and 4 finger excercises I thought it might be a bad thing doing it so early but cheers for the heads up.

Should be fine doing 2,3 and 4 finger techniques. I practice about 2 hours a day. Hopefully less than 18 months!

I've got a gig in October where I need to play the 16th really fast lol

having said that, i broke my ring finger on my right hand yesterday..
everyday, before i start playing i open up tuxguitar and put in about 20 bars of 16th notes, increasing in speed. starting at 120bpm eventually reaching 220bpm as a sort of warm up each day. i go as fast as i can with 2 fingers, then as fast as i can with 3 and then with a pick.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
i play 16th notes all the time with my fingers on bass, and i have not ONCE broken a string
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
Using a pick is fine, but I know from experience if you double thump it instead people look at your like you're God. It's almost like thumping is hard. =/
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Ryan D' Ale
Hi.

I know it is hard and obviously this is something you'd need a pick for but do you think it is good for the strings?

No.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
I don't get why you'd think that it would be bad for your strings or only be possible with a pick. How long have you played bass?
Quote by edgeyyz
I don't get why you'd think that it would be bad for your strings or only be possible with a pick. How long have you played bass?

Look upwards in the thread.

I've only had a bass for 3 nights and I honestly thought it seemed impossible (practicing two hours a day, finger only).

However, tonight I actually managed to get Phantom of the Opera (the fastest part) going at full speed for a very brief time frame.
Quote by Ryan D' Ale
Look upwards in the thread.

I've only had a bass for 3 nights and I honestly thought it seemed impossible (practicing two hours a day, finger only).

However, tonight I actually managed to get Phantom of the Opera (the fastest part) going at full speed for a very brief time frame.

phantom of the opera is all triplets, so once you get the three finger gallop down, it will seem like a piece of cake
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by capslockisnton
phantom of the opera is all triplets, so once you get the three finger gallop down, it will seem like a piece of cake
piece of cake...? only if you have the time to practice.

BTW phantom is not one of the "best" Harris examples of speedplaying IMO.

as far as a few people on youtube covering it to show technique there are a few, but I'll just bet you never saw anyone play it like this before....( if you have seen someone else do it this way, please tell me )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4AYip27uaw

I also have played with a pick and fingers forever, and never broke a string except for 2 times in probably 10 years from cheap defective strings, but never broke one from slamming them with a pick or fingers. My motto was always to use the amp, and not kill the strings trying to make up the volume difference.