Hi.

I'm playing on a budget and as of yet I do not have a bass amp. Why spend £100 on a 20 watt home practice amp when I can put that £100 into getting something to gig with.?

So, I have a few guitar amps and I don't mind getting them broken...or broker.

Also, I have access to a Line 6 Toneport UX2.

Another thing I liked the sound of was being DI'd and going through a Subwoofer.

People say that playing bass through a guitar amp will break the amp or damage he speaker (which is fine) but will it have any adverse effect on the bass (which is active)?

The Line6 Toneport is a computer interface for recording but it made me think. Surely if playing bass through a guitar amp damages the speaker then surely playing a bass through low quality pc speakers will destroy them? The Toneport has a PAD input (which I believe is for active pickups) but I'm still concerned. Would the sound emulation software included with it 'dumb down' the sound for rubbish speakers to handle?

I question the idea of buying an amp when the best sound I've ever heard was when I was DI'd. This was with a very cheap bass though. Do you think playing bass through a subwoofer might be more cost-effective than a decent amp and a cab?

Edit:- I promise not to make a new thread for a whole 24 hours.

Thank you.
I collect clothes and IKEA furniture. Who are you?
It won't affect the bass...but the lower frequencies can harm guitar amp speakers, etc....but if you're not worried about it go for it. I played bass through a ****ty keyboard amp in high school
It would definitely would be more cost effective, but you need to get a good amp as soon as you have the money.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
A good DI box will cost you £50 but not all venues will have a decent PA or monitors, you can get something gigable S/H for £100 with a DI out.

I've seen these gigged many times

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-TNT-100-Bass-Combo_W0QQitemZ160358137593QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item255616fef9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Basses:
Custom on order
Fender Jazz bass
80's Fender JV P/J
MusicMan SUB Stingray
SX P bass
Yamaha RBX170
Custom Fretless
No brand Stingray

Amps:
Ampeg SVT 5 PRO
Ashdown Superfly
Ashdown Perfect Ten Minirig
Ashdown ABM 4 X10 and 1 X 15
I used a keyboard amp as a practice amp since day one.

I dont think itd do any damage,afterall thats why the 5 string was created right? too become the lowest pitch instrument again because they were being drowned out by keyboards and organs,someone might want to clarify that?

Point being,should be fine
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2T Dinky
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Antares 12 String Acoustic
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
Keyboard amps are actually designed for lower frequencies. I play through a H30 Pignose that can be used for guitar, bass and keyboards. But its designed to do so, unlike most guitar amps.

If you don't blow the speaker, you will have to live with losing most of your wonderful sounding low end. Also, it will affect your playing in very subtle ways that you would have to go back and potentially correct later on.
Actually, keyboard amp handle the bass frequencies quite well. I played bass through a guitar amp in high school, it was slowly killing the amp but that took a few years.
the first amp i got (and still use) was a peavey 8 inch 10w guitar amp which i got about a year and a few months ago. it still works, but the tone on both the clean and distortion (which i use for guitar too) channels have gotten progressively worse -which is most likely speaker damage.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by eyebanez333
It won't affect the bass...but the lower frequencies can harm guitar amp speakers, etc....but if you're not worried about it go for it. I played bass through a ****ty keyboard amp in high school

Thanks Eye.

I've hplayed guitar through a keyboard amp before. I thought it looked so awesome having my own small stack. I guess I may get plucking then

Anarkee I think you've made a great point there. I really cannot afford to have my playing hindered in any way. Part of the reason I like playing bass is because I think I'm much better at it than guitar and if I approach it with the same 'whatever - this doesn't matter kind of attitude then I'm not going to get far'.

Of course 8 years ago I was very immature.

Toad - You're spot on. I read into that before making a decision on purchasing. I got a 4 string because it's traditional, I'm old fashioned and appreciate the simplicity.

Wayne - I've used a 150W with my band before and it wasn't suitable. 100W would be a waste of cash. We play much, much louder than other bands (apart from Manowar); and all of us suffer from Tinitis apart from me, who suffers from deafness.

We all use ear plugs now.

Nice examples PWR and Tortured

I've got a 10 watt 'BB Blaster' and a 15 watt Marshall MG to waste.

I think Biga is right. I will see what fortune my tax return brings and see if it can get me a nice bass amp.
Quote by Ryan D' Ale

Wayne - I've used a 150W with my band before and it wasn't suitable. 100W would be a waste of cash. We play much, much louder than other bands (apart from Manowar); and all of us suffer from Tinitis apart from me, who suffers from deafness.

Haha I hear that, my amp is 1350W and sometimes I think "I wonder if I could get something louder" :P
Basses:
Custom on order
Fender Jazz bass
80's Fender JV P/J
MusicMan SUB Stingray
SX P bass
Yamaha RBX170
Custom Fretless
No brand Stingray

Amps:
Ampeg SVT 5 PRO
Ashdown Superfly
Ashdown Perfect Ten Minirig
Ashdown ABM 4 X10 and 1 X 15
You're not going to get enough volume out of a 10 or 15 watt to practice with...you might as well trade them in for a small combo. If you can sell them, and throw in some extra cash, you could get a little Peavey or Acoustic combo.

Playing through a Sub would be cost effective, but it would sound like arse. Running through a 15" full range PA cab, however, should be perfectly fine. It likely won't be as efficient as a bass cab but it'll work.

edit: I misread that...you're talking about going DI, not using a PA cab with a head. Going DI is perfectly fine and relatively common, but if the sound guy is only running you through the subs then he has no idea what he's doing. Bass should be run full range.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 27, 2009,
When I practiced with my at school without my amp, i just plugged it into the PA. worked fine, just not so much freedom with eq.
Quote by Mutant Corn

edit: I misread that...you're talking about going DI, not using a PA cab with a head. Going DI is perfectly fine and relatively common, but if the sound guy is only running you through the subs then he has no idea what he's doing. Bass should be run full range.

Ahhh. It was the best sound I'd ever heard though (from my playing haha). I'll have to have a word with my sound man/manager next time I see him and see if he's using full range.

If not I will tell him off.
Most likely he is...many PA systems aren't even set up to run something solely through the sub.
Nope, no sig here.
The subwoofer would handle low end stuff fine, but I don't know about clarity. Keyboard amp should be fine if you get a quality one, as they're designed to work for low end stuff too.
Don't do it! Playing bass through a guitar amp is going to give it the welly.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Well I've heard many times that playing a bass through a guitar amp won't blow it up as long as it's at a low volume. What exactly is a low volume? I don't dare risk it.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone Les Paul Special II 2006 Limited Edition Skull
Vintage Metal Axxe Wraith
Epiphone Embassy Standard IV Walnut
Quote by X-Ryan-X
Well I've heard many times that playing a bass through a guitar amp won't blow it up as long as it's at a low volume. What exactly is a low volume? I don't dare risk it.

Then don't do it. Practice amps made for bass are quite cheap nowadays, I don't see why someone cant get together $100 and buy a used practice amp.
I have no problem breaking a guitar amp lol

I don't come into much cash so I'm going to have to miss the practice map.
But if you aren't a money bag, why would you risk breaking the amp? After you break it, you are just going to have to buy one, so why break one in the first place?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
But if you aren't a money bag, why would you risk breaking the amp? After you break it, you are just going to have to buy one, so why break one in the first place?

Because I don't need it/them.

I mainly need the amp for equalisation modelling and fixing any undesired sounds from my playing. So for that purpose it is fine - even if it breaks.