Hey guys, reason for me posting is that i'm having trouble finding the right sound for my current band. I've previously been in metal bands and have catered to getting a heavy sound and getting the most out of my harmonics as i use a lot of them in my playing.

I'm now in a lighter sounding, more pop-rock band (Paramore, Youmeatsix kind of sound etc) and am struggling to fit in sound wise. With the higher gauge strings and extra gain i come across as too ... sharp sounding? Not sure how to describe it.

So i'm looking into getting a lighter sound, but still able to giving my harmonics a bit more punch. I've experimented with the gain, treble, contour and bass levels on my amp (Marshall MG50DFX) and the pick up switch levels etc on my Epiphone Les Paul Custom but i either get a too mushy sound or a sound which fits ... but i lose a lot of power in the higher chords and harmonics which are a big part of my playing style.

Another issue i'm having with my current set up is finding a smooth transition between a clean and distorted sound, i want to keep the distortion sound for the more rocky side of my playing, but would like to be able to play arpeggios or single notes in chords without them being too gained-up to sound muffled.

Any help/questions will be appreciated
Thanks in advance, Jamie.
(Marshall MG50DFX)

90% of your problem is right there. that sharp sound you're talking about is the ice picky nature of bad quality modelling amps like the MG and Spider. lots of people say that the overdrive on these amps is just very muddy and unusable, while the cleans are barely usable.

if you cant afford/dont even want a new amp then some EQuing work might help, but it will help very little with this amp I assume. First bring your mids down a bit if they are past 6, that helps with some of the mud sometimes. then adjust the bass so its between 5 and 6 and keep the treble around 7. that might clear up a lot of the mess you're describing. from there adjust gain to your liking, which will most likely have to be set a bit lower than your current setting from what you're describing
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Thanks guys Any suggestions for amps? I've always gone Marshall without much thought, guess that was my downfall from the beginning.

What amps should i look at trying out?
you're going to need a new amp, there are no two ways about it. the MG series are a semi-good practice amp, but hardly even a sub standard performance amp. if you are interested in taking the advice this forum has to offer, we need to know a couple of things:
Budget?
Styles (all of them, in more detail)?
willing to go used?
Nearest major city?
just practice or full gigs?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Budget...whatever i would get for my Mg50dfx, so £100+? plus £100 i'll say.

Styles; As mentioned, pop-rock...in this band i play mainly power chords and harmonics so a bit of gain would help there, but i'd like to start incorporating bar chords and play individual notes within these chords without completely cutting the sound to a twangy clean sound if that makes sense?

Used; yeah doesn't bother me too much

London and for practice mainly, but because whever i gig i tend to use the house equipment as it's easier. But this is because i haven't found my perfect sound, once i find that then i'll be using my own amp for gigs.

Thanks guys
Quote by JamieFinch
Budget...whatever i would get for my Mg50dfx, so £100+? plus £100 i'll say.

Styles; As mentioned, pop-rock...in this band i play mainly power chords and harmonics so a bit of gain would help there, but i'd like to start incorporating bar chords and play individual notes within these chords without completely cutting the sound to a twangy clean sound if that makes sense?

Used; yeah doesn't bother me too much

London and for practice mainly, but because whever i gig i tend to use the house equipment as it's easier. But this is because i haven't found my perfect sound, once i find that then i'll be using my own amp for gigs.

Thanks guys

london, england or london, ontario?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.