I've played fingerstyle (acoustic only for now) since mid-February. I practice 2-4 hours a day. Less than a week ago, I decided it couldn't hurt to learn how to use a pick as well, so I taught myself how to. Is it normal for playing with a pick to feel strangely easy and come rather quickly compared to fingerstyle? In under a week, I've already gotten strumming, alternate picking, economy picking, and tremolo picking down to the point where it's pretty consistent and I'm building up speed at a pretty decent rate, especially with tremolo picking.

tl;dr does using a pick usually seem very easy to learn compared to fingerstyle? I realize everyone is different, but I'm asking for an answer based on the "overall average"
Playing fingerstyle seems to help my picking, so it isn't too surprising. It seems like fingerstyle is harder, so it helps with picking. Hard things make easier things easier lol
I only learned finger picking to play Stairway to Heaven lmao.

But anyways, yes, like someone above me said.

"Hard things make easier things easier."
Quote by i_don't_know
I've played fingerstyle (acoustic only for now) since mid-February. I practice 2-4 hours a day. Less than a week ago, I decided it couldn't hurt to learn how to use a pick as well, so I taught myself how to. Is it normal for playing with a pick to feel strangely easy and come rather quickly compared to fingerstyle? In under a week, I've already gotten strumming, alternate picking, economy picking, and tremolo picking down to the point where it's pretty consistent and I'm building up speed at a pretty decent rate, especially with tremolo picking.

tl;dr does using a pick usually seem very easy to learn compared to fingerstyle? I realize everyone is different, but I'm asking for an answer based on the "overall average"

This means nothing. Your own evaluations are skewed, post a video of your picking skills and we can evaluate it to see if you truly have come along quickly.
Yeh I did the same. I started out on an acoustic, fingerstyle, and when I came to use a pick it seemed so easy in comparison.

I guess you're using less co-ordination, or co-ordinating less muscles...or something...
Quote by timeconsumer09
This means nothing. Your own evaluations are skewed, post a video of your picking skills and we can evaluate it to see if you truly have come along quickly.

Sure wish I had a camera or a decent microphone that doesn't crap out at random points - my profile is empty for a reason, haha.

If you buy me a camcorder, I'll record something.
Well I'd imagine learning how to use a pick is easier than learning how to fingerstyle. Because there's only one thing you need to worry about. But when you fingerstyle, you have to keep track of all your fingers.
This is random but slightly on topic. I cant finger pick for the life of me haha. I never tried, I've always been quite comfortable using a pick.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ