So, I've recently really gotten into learning guitar after just messing around for about 6 months. I've learned a number of scales, arpeggios, chords* and as much theory as I can

*(Specifically; A-G Major, Major7, Minor, Minor7, Dominant 7 open and barre chords. Blues, Minor, Major, Pentatonic Minor and Major scales in several positions. Major, Major7, Minor, Minor7, Dominant7 Arpeggios)

I practice all these constantly, attempt improvisation and the like. I can get some nice sounding rock stuff out of blues and minor pentatonic, and occasionally out of the others, but I just can't seem to conjure up 'shred' or metal sounding improvisation.

Are there specific things that are often used in the shred style? I'd love to just be able to improvise some.

Thanks
Well, you've just started playing.. the problem is most likely your technique isn't good enough to play as fast as you'd like to, or you just aren't experienced enough to come up with the riffs you're looking for.

the best thing you can do, is learn songs that have the sound you're going after.. and study what they're playing.
My playing's quite decent to the amount of practice I've put in over the last few months, so I can do semi-fast atleast. My main question is, when you're limited to confidently using only 2 positions of a scale. is it much more difficult to achieve sounds similar to the improvisational shred that you typically hear? Will that come when I've unlocked more of the fretboard?
You're probably not going to like/listen to this advice but here it is anyway

Don't worry about playing fast AT ALL. You'll end up playing sloppy, unconnected repeated lick/runs and will sound like all the metal head guys who are playing solos way over their heads terribly.

Speed comes in time. You can either practice everything slowly and correctly and become the burning clean guitarist or just play fast and become a sloppy player unable to record in the studio/play nice gigs.

Just listen to the now overused practice quote, Practice makes permanent, not perfect
Quote by rockinrider55

Don't worry about playing fast AT ALL. You'll end up playing sloppy, unconnected repeated lick/runs and will sound like all the metal head guys who are playing solos way over their heads terribly.

Speed comes in time. You can either practice everything slowly and correctly and become the burning clean guitarist or just play fast and become a sloppy player unable to record in the studio/play nice gigs.

Just listen to the now overused practice quote, Practice makes permanent, not perfect

I agree with this, you've gotta take it one step at a time.. you can always tell when someones put too much time into playing fast solos, eventually you're going to have to go back and learn all of the things you missed out on which are really more important than speed
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by rockinrider55

+1000000

just wish more people actually took this advice seriously
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
"walk before you can run"
"the destination is unimportant, only the journey matters"
"you cannot learn to climb a mountain until you first learn how to take a single step"
"don't forget to smell the roses along the way"
"man cannot build without strong foundations"

yadda yadda yadda
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Problem solved.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
You're all completely right, and I suggest anyone else who reads this thread with the same thing in mind to pay attention to it.

Thanks guys, I've heard it said before but it's never been put so well.