So i took my guitar in for a setup and asked for various things including 'polishing frets' and a 'deep condition of the fretboard'. What i meant was for the guy to polish the fretwire with steel wool and to treat the fretboard as the wood was very dry as there was a dent in it from a fingernail.

Do you think he will understand from what i wrote? He wasnt in so i couldnt speak to him.
it should be fine
FS LTD EC-50 with GFS PowerRails Bridge pickup
Judging from the context of your post, and that you knew such good detail about what you wanted...You're ready to step up and start doing the guitar maintenance for yourself.

That's not a diss, it's a compliment...

Save a little cash. Plus it's fun and very rewarding...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
find out when he is in and ring him to confirm...

but even though i do all my guitars myself every string change(2 weeks), every 6 months(everyone needs to get a setup done twice a year seasonal climate variations ) i use my stores tech(who is very good) and the things you mention are part of a standard setup that he does (if it needs anything like this done my tech willl do it).

...sorry the post is a bit choppy but i`m drunk...
guitar maintenance is pretty easy once you figure it out, people are usually just too worried about messing things up to do it themselves

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Yeah, maintaining your own guitar is a good thing to do. I always thought of a musical instrument as being something that you should know how to take care of. Its like a carpenter and her tools, or painter and her brushes.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
did you tell them how you like your action and string gauge preference?

that's pretty important.

keep in mind that buzz that doesnt transmit thru the amp isnt generally considered a problem.
so it's a good idea to play the guitar prior to taking it back home with you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jonmo1
Judging from the context of your post, and that you knew such good detail about what you wanted...You're ready to step up and start doing the guitar maintenance for yourself.

thanks. I tried to but i had problems with the bridge i couldnt fix and i have 3 other guitars with electronic problems so i thought ill get one into him and see how it goes. he will probably just put from lemon oil on the neck but i dont mind as long as its playable.
Quote by jonmo1

If you're gonna do that, make SURE to buy the guitar player repair guide by Dan Erlewine. Great resource.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.