I got me a wicked tube rig finally and got the new band going on. We practice in a tiny sound insulated room. 2 half stacks, a full bass stack and drum kit in a room about the size of a large bathroom. Even with earplugs, my ears ring all day after a spirited rehearsal . I try turn down and get the others to follow but still the br00tah-ness eats thru the plugs and leads to ringing. Anybody else have this problem? How do you deal with it? Am I just getting old and soft? Its actually pretty bad because my g/f says she hates tube amps now because of it. Type in all caps so I can hear you. Huh?
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Get custom earplugs moulded to fit your ear.

Start the session by jamming by yourself with the drummer, and set your half-stack to work around his level, then get the rest of the band to follow suit.
Quote by blue_strat
Start the session by jamming by yourself with the drummer, and set your half-stack to work around his level, then get the rest of the band to follow suit.

Good advice. I have my drummer play, then have my bass player match up, then I turn up to that level.

I use these earplugs, way better than dinky foam ones:
http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-211-High-Fidelity-Plugs/dp/B0002CZYS4

Get on it, ringing ears means you're losing tiny bits of your hearing.
Wear ear plugs and those bulky headphone-style ear muffs, like what you wear for hearing tests.

Also, are you squishing the ear plugs down, inserting them, and letting them form to your ear? If not, you probably aren't getting as much protection as you could be.
I didn't know if anyone else wore plugs or not. I don't feel so bad now. But yes, after I get my tone set I install them in my head correctly. I wear these at work around a 2500 ton stamping press that booms a 1/4 mile away and they silence that thing. But not power hungry rockers.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Last edited by miketheslut at Aug 27, 2009,
Better earplugs for sure.

Or a bigger practice space, hell open a window or two to relieve the sound pressure.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^half inch foam rubber wall covering. It wasn't so bad until we added a 2nd guitar.
Well, again, better earplugs will do wonders. Those high fidelity Hearos are VERY different than the foam ones. Instead of making it sound muddy, you can hear your real tone, only several decibels quieter.

I don't know how much sound absorption that foam rubber gives, though, to be fair. Might not be enough any more.
Get at the very minimum a pair of the Hearios or an equivalent, although you will certainly never go wrong for paying for custom molded ones. For the little that you'd pay for a set of molded earplugs, it's very worth it, considering that ringing ears means permanent hearing damage and wouldn't you rather pay a bit of money now than lose your hearing for life?
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Foam earplugs are fine if you wear them correctly. Lots of people do not.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
It is hard to hear yourself. I took my plugs out and I was destroying everyone else. Thats when I turned down.
get a drummer that is capable of not overplaying.
its rare to find. in fact the difference between a drummer that can play quiet enough (i.e. has actual dynamic control) and a drummer that just sounds like bombs falling is the difference between a great drummer and a waste of flesh and bones drummer.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I agree with chea_man.

My drummer knows how to control his dynamics, and can play at any volume he wanted. If my bassist wasn't a prick and liked to turn his mark bass amp as loud as possible I would never have to put my all-tube 60W 4x10 combo amp past 3.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
I am happy with a drummer that just shows up
http://www.extremeheadphones.com/ or actually tell the band to quiet down.

If ringing persists, see doctor, get diagnosed with tinnitus, become Al Di Meola.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by miketheslut
I am happy with a drummer that just shows up

thats actually a very good point.
make him use those drum dampeners lol, that will quiet him up
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by V.U.K
If ringing persists, see doctor, get diagnosed with tinnitus, become Al Di Meola.

Or Paul Gilbert.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by Brian 1.0
Or Paul Gilbert.

or eric clapton.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Brian 1.0
Or Paul Gilbert.

He has Tinnitus?

Always thought he wore them to prevent further hearing damage.

Actually, pretty much every musician that's made it big has Tinnitus.

Hetfield, Ulrich, Jeff Beck, Pete Town, etc.

Also, so does Bill Clinton,
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Last edited by V.U.K at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by chea_man
get a drummer that is capable of not overplaying.
its rare to find. in fact the difference between a drummer that can play quiet enough (i.e. has actual dynamic control) and a drummer that just sounds like bombs falling is the difference between a great drummer and a waste of flesh and bones drummer.

Well, I know my drummer can play softer stuff.
But on our harder, heavier, or faster songs, I want him to hit that **** as hard as he can, hahaha.