So I have been playing guitar for about a year or more, and when I started I focused solely on alternate picking. Two or three months ago I an article about economy picking and it said it was far superior to alternate so I implemented it into my playing, but lately I've been reading its better to have both trained so well so that you can choose when to use economy and when to use alternate picking. Problem is now I can't do alternate picking well, because whenever I switch strings I automatically do an up or down stroke depending if im going up or down a string. I've been playing slow and I can control with alternate picking, but wheneve I pick up speed It goes right back to economy. SHould I teach myself again how to play fast with alternate picking and then practice both? or just stick with economY¿
IMHO you should use alternate picking to learn to play in time, then move on to economy when you know you can play it straight.
use whatever works. dont put too much stock in what other people tell you is best. do whatever works better for you
Quote by oncetaken
use whatever works. dont put too much stock in what other people tell you is best. do whatever works better for you

+1

Do whatever you feel comfortable doing. if you really feel the need to transition to another one you could always learn it.
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
I love these discussions about alternate picking "vs." economy picking. Consider this, the next time you become interested in a new technique...

What tonal variations and musical implementations does "X" technique foster?

...do you follow me?

It's not a matter of what makes you faster...it's about what technique to use when you are looking for a specific tone during an improv, jam session, recording session, etc. My teacher A.J. Minette helped bring all of what I just talked about to the forefront of my consciousness.

It's NOT about speed/shredding/impressing people. IT'S ABOUT THE TONE WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT ALTERNATE PICKING VS. ECONOMY PICKING.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Quote by plainsight
It's NOT about speed/shredding/impressing people. IT'S ABOUT THE TONE WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT ALTERNATE PICKING VS. ECONOMY PICKING.

Yes, because alternate picking gives a choppier buzzsaw sound, and economy is more fluid.

Thus it's easy to keep in time learning to a choppy sound than to a smooth one, which you can then progress onto; and use alternate picking for it's tone when you need to.
Quote by blue_strat
Yes, because alternate picking gives a choppier buzzsaw sound, and economy is more fluid.

Thus it's easy to keep in time learning to a choppy sound than to a smooth one, which you can then progress onto; and use alternate picking for it's tone when you need to.

Is that so? I distinctly remember using pure economy picking to a metronome before I completely broke down my technique and realized I had never practiced pure alternate picking.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Me too, but since then it has seemed to me that most guitarists were the opposite.
What a guitarist at your level should concentrate on is to get equally good from either his up or downstrokes as you learn the method you like,simple as that.
Quote by plainsight
I love these discussions about alternate picking "vs." economy picking. Consider this, the next time you become interested in a new technique...

What tonal variations and musical implementations does "X" technique foster?

...do you follow me?

It's not a matter of what makes you faster...it's about what technique to use when you are looking for a specific tone during an improv, jam session, recording session, etc. My teacher A.J. Minette helped bring all of what I just talked about to the forefront of my consciousness.

You're so lucky, you're teacher is freakin' awesome.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Yeah I've done the same thing you guys have, practice with a metronome using economy picking. That whole tone thing makes a lot of sense and I had noticed the differences but never really had it on my mind, time to practice both things so I can switch between the tones and add another weapon to my arsenal of destruction ;P

Oh and my up and down strokes are pretty much the same, I've practiced both with equal importance since I began playing
Last edited by revoh at Aug 27, 2009,
i've been alternate picking exclusively since i started playing guitar 3 years ago. lately though i've been wanting to play even faster than i play now so i started economy picking. i've gotten better at it, but it's hard cause of the way i pick. i'll pick like U D U D and then have to start picking up again cause of the direction. its a bitch for me.