Hey, currently i own a Vintage VS6 and am generally quite happy with hit. Great value for money and delivers great bang for your buck. However, i'm getting to a point in my playing life where i'm beginning to get serious and as part of a band i feel like i need an upgrade. I've thought about upgrading my VS6 but the build quality of it doesn't feel worth it. Like, in any dropped tuning, the tone of the guitar varies from fret to fret. Like on the 9th it sounds full and good but on the 2nd it's trebley and crap. So, i really love the SG shape and was wondering what is the best overall SG i could buy for around £500 (preferably less). Musical influences are Paramore (Big one), Metallica, Old Kings of Leon stuff (bluesy) and an occasional bit of Lamb Of God. None of these bands use high amounts of gain so i don't need active pickups (plus, i hate them anyway) and what i want is just a good 'ol Rock and Roll tone. My personal tone can be described like this

-Warm tone, even under distortion
-Thick, with bright highs that can cut through the lows
-Soft clean sounds

Any ideas? I'm also open to Les Pauls but i'd rather a SG
epiphone sg custom maybe or sg custom gx
Last edited by britishsligean at Aug 27, 2009,
i think £500 is about $1000 US dollars so... maybe a used SG standard? or, if you're ok with it's stripped down looks, the new SG Raw Power. i think they're really cool. they have a maple body, so lots of punch and treble, but with the tone knob you should be able to get a nice deep bassy sound like most SGs too. i like them a lot.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Aug 27, 2009,
I'm good to go used. Just a random quick question, what are PRS's like. Just looking at them and they look pretty sweet, i need to look at the specs a bit more quickly
Can't get Agiles in the UK & an SG Standard costs £1000+ in the UK, I'd personally have a look at some ESP Vipers, now, I know they have relativly high gain pickups, but those can be replaced later if you want. You could also look into some Eppis, & yes, the Iommi SG is VERY nice, I've played afew of them & they all had pretty good quality & they played & sounded nice.
I like my G-400, it feels solid as hell and stays in tune forever and then some.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Used Gibson Standard
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Quote by willT08
I'm good to go used. Just a random quick question, what are PRS's like. Just looking at them and they look pretty sweet, i need to look at the specs a bit more quickly

PRS's are nice, but the only ones you'd be able to afford on that budget are the SE line. they're korean made, but all the ones i've played have been great. with the money you'd have left over you could replace the pickups and get some great sounds. also, they come with either a stoptail OR a vintage trem. so it's cool you have that option with them
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Is the G400 any good? the Tony Iommi one looks so sexy

I have an epi Tony Iommi.Handles blues and it seems to hold up well with metal either.I dunno about getting that paramore sound though.But 500 quid you could probably get something a bit better (provided you go second hand).
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by gregs1020
Yamaha SG1000

That thing is fu*kin ugly!
Shame for Sg-guitars..
Have a look around for the sg copy made by fernandes burny. I bought one yesterday and I think it's amazing value for money - plays really well and sounds great. As a disclaimer though I haven't played any other sgs and can only compare it with my strat and my rickenbacker and a few others that I tried out when buying the strat (it's miles better than the PRS SE I tried).

I paid £399 and bought it from Kingfisher in Fleet.
Quote by Dennis_SG
That thing is fu*kin ugly!
Shame for Sg-guitars..

obvious opinion is obvious

Quote by britishsligean
those things are like £1000

Yea they ain't cheap, but they slay most SG style guitars with the possible exception of a few El Diablos.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.