Poll: What's more important, talent or skill?
Poll Options
View poll results: What's more important, talent or skill?
Talent
49 40%
Skill
71 59%
Voters: 121.
Page 1 of 2
When it comes to a musical instrument or anything, which ones more important.

My dad has played various instruments over his life and I think I have got my talent to play the guitar from him. But of course practice is important too.

Since there's some people who play guitar a year and are better than people who have been playing 5 years I'm not sure which ones more important, but obviously you have to practice very hard no matter who you are.
Everything about music is a skill.

Everything is learnt from one source or another.
If you are referring to 'natural talent' it really isnt that important. Ive taught kids who are really naturally talented but dont apply themselves and kids who are useless but try like bears and its always the ones who try harder who end up better.

....but if you are not naturally talented and are lazy then you end up like the majority of guitar players who 'just play a few tunes'
Last edited by Metallicker. at Aug 27, 2009,
talent can only get you so far, skill can get you further
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I honestly do not think some people are born w/ musical talent. I believe if someone is either:

1. Beat
2. Oppressed from music thus increasing interest in music
3. Been surrounded by music
4. Been given interest through people you're close to

Same goes for any other talent or skill.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Those two concepts are so subjective it's not even funny. This thread is bound to descend into arguments on semantics.

To be honest I think the most important thing about music is expression. As long as you are enjoying making the music and are expressing what you truly feel, everything's good. Isn't that what art is supposed to be in the first place?
well in football steve g admits he inherited his talent and frank lampard said he was more skill based so I guess it doesn't matter its just skill you need more dedication
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Dedication.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

I honestly think some peoples' brains are just wired better for writing music. In terms of technique, I'd say it is more practice, but there i a bit of natural talent. In terms of songwriting, I think it is about 50/50.

I mean, you can develop a knowledge of theory and a better feel for how notes fit together, but you can't develop creativity, it's natural.
Last edited by bnull24 at Aug 27, 2009,
Talent makes it easier to pick up and start playing, skill you achieve by dedication.
Quote by bnull24
I honestly think some peoples' brains are just wired better for writing music. In terms of technique, I'd say it is more practice, but there i a bit of natural talent. In terms of songwriting, I think it is about 50/50.

I mean, you can develop a knowledge of theory and a better feel for how notes fit together, but you can't develop creativity, it's natural.

Creativity can be jump started w/ things like guitar for example jump starts creativity in people and same goes for piano.

Some people learn musically too. I think people who are good w/ math and are organized are good at composing music or something too, I forgot where I read something like that, idk.

Talent. Skill can be learned, and relatively easily with alot of talent. You don't learn talent.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Well you see, talent is the difference between a skilled player and a Hendrix. However, you could be an awesome guitarist even if you're not a guitar god without any kind of talent.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

wait, whats the difference?

edit: nevermind, i think i understand now
I wouldn't say either is 'superior', but I'd personally be much more impressed by someone who could come up with a great riff of their own than I would be by someone who could perfectly play a brilliant solo written by someone else.
Quote by urik
Well you see, talent is the difference between a skilled player and a Hendrix. However, you could be an awesome guitarist even if you're not a guitar god without any kind of talent.

Who says he had talent when he started out?

Hendrix developed his style by learning from others.
I voted skill but it was a hard choice.

I'm taking calculus so bear with me.
If talent is f(x)=2x and skill is f(x)=x, and dedication is a constant, a person with talent will get much better faster but a person with skill will eventually get there too...

kinda,.
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace
you can be the best technical player in the world, but that doesn't make you good.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Talent is the ability to write a song, that's your mind.
Skill is the ability to play a song, that's in your fingers.

Talent is more important by far. I don't care how skilled you are, but if you can't write a good song, it's useless.
Last edited by Waff at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by lordofthefood1
you can be the best technical player in the world, but that doesn't make you good.

Not all skill is technical.

If you hear someone's vibrato on the radio, you can work out how to emulate it.
Quote by Waff
Talent is the ability to write a song, that's your mind.
Skill is the ability to play a song, that's in your fingers.

What, so no one can learn to write a song, and no ability is in the mind?
Last edited by blue_strat at Aug 27, 2009,
talent is what gives you desire to practice i think, and practice gives you skills. So in the long run talent is better because you could do anything with it.
Talent will only get you so far, hard work and determination will work towards skill and will most likley be able to go above and beyond someone with just talent. To be fair though, if you have enough skill, I still consider it to be a talented.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
if your gonna be damn good at something you need both talent and skill but skill is better than talent alone its like french fries and ketchup you need both but if you had to choose one youd pick the ketchup.
haha jk youd go for the fries.
Quote by tancanada
He's from Arkansas. Of course he wants to eat it.

Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

Quote by ikitson
im drunk idc

( . Y . )
Quote by Early Cuyler
wait..

theres a difference?

In my eyes you are born with talent and you have to work at something to aquaria a skill at it
Talent's basically a bit of a headstart; it'll help you progress faster at the start, but no matter how talented you are, you'll need to develop skill to avoid hitting a plateau
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
they go hand in hand. you could be the most skilled guy and have no talent and play like malmsteen which to me is a horrid thing. Or you could be very talented with no skill and just be marginal.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Talent for singing, 50/50 for everything else. Ah, how I wish I had a decent vocal range...
Quote by i_don't_know
Talent for singing, 50/50 for everything else. Ah, how I wish I had a decent vocal range...

I know exactly how you feel
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Mozart didn't develop just develop skill so rapidly that he could compose symphonies as a child. He had natural talent.
Quote by blue_strat
Who says he had talent when he started out?

Hendrix developed his style by learning from others.

Yeah but he had something that made him stand out from the crowd. He had IT. You can be an amazing guitarist without talent. But talent is what is going to make you be the one. Talent and skill obviously. A talented lazy won't get anywhere.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
I'd personally be much more impressed by someone who could come up with a great riff of their own than I would be by someone who could perfectly play a brilliant solo written by someone else.

This
I've seen an interview with Vai and he stated he had absolutely no natural talent and that his creativity came from screwing around until he developed his own style. He then applied everything he knew about theory and found out how he got what he liked and applied what he learned to writing new stuff. IMO, it's all about dedication.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Page 1 of 2