Page 1 of 2
Hi, I have been playing for about a year now and I have noticed my crappy starter guitar is really starting to limit my playing (solos sound like ****, high notes have no sustain, bending kills the note). So I have decided to get a new guitar now, and I have been looking at the ESP LTD EX-401DX. It has everything I would like, however it also has a floyd rose (special?) tremolo. I have heard that only the originals are worth getting, and im pretty sure this is one. However, I have also heard that even with the originals that there is a ton of problems regarding said tremolo. This includes ridiculous amounts of time/skill tuning or replacing strings, and constant tuning. So my question is: is this guitar:

(http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-EX-401DX-Floyd-Rose-Electric-Guitar-520113-i1435798.gc)

worth getting? I do not mind spending TIME having to change tunings, because I usually stay in one for awhile. However, I am worried about screwing it up. So with that, should I stick with the floyd rose edition, which I would love to have, or go for the cheaper, but less-featured:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-EX-401-Electric-Guitar-520112-i1435796.gc

Thankyou
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
it's an OFR if it says Floyd Rose on it, the pic is too small so i can't tell. You can always get a tremol-no if you don't like it anyways. ESP's are great quality guitars, so go for it.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
It takes a little practice to properly set up a floyd rose and takes a while to change string until you got it down pat but its pretty fun to play with and with a floyd you barely EVER have to tune it...my last guitar i bought had a floyd and i didnt ave to tune it in FOREVER...

i havent had my new guitar long enough to have to tune but its still in perfect pitch
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
if you change tunings even once a week, dont get the tremolo
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by williamdllr
It takes a little practice to properly set up a floyd rose and takes a while to change string until you got it down pat but its pretty fun to play with and with a floyd you barely EVER have to tune it...my last guitar i bought had a floyd and i didnt ave to tune it in FOREVER...

i havent had my new guitar long enough to have to tune but its still in perfect pitch

thanks that helps a lot. But what do you mean by "properly set up a floyd rose"? As in, is there a certain set-up process I have to do before I can use it?

also ps. have you ever thought of getting a different amp?
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by chrisg7
if you change tunings even once a week, dont get the tremolo

I would say I usually change once a month, depending on what genre/band I feel like playing. However I do commonly switch between standard and drop d since its so simple...im sure that wouldn't be ideal with a floyd rose
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
jus the process of changing strings and what not...

and YES I HAVE...i hate my little POS so damn much its not even funny...i barely ever use it,i usually play unplugged...im saving up now for a good amp lol

I prefer the ****ing fret buzz as a distortion setting rather than the distortion setting on the line 6
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

agreed with chrisg7. the one guy in my one band has a tremolo and it never stays in tune and it takes forever for him to tune it so it either sounds really out of tune because he won't take the time to tune it or hell use my les paul when we jam.
Quote by williamdllr
jus the process of changing strings and what not...

and YES I HAVE...i hate my little POS so damn much its not even funny...i barely ever use it,i usually play unplugged...im saving up now for a good amp lol

I prefer the ****ing fret buzz as a distortion setting rather than the distortion setting on the line 6

Lol I should sig that

But hey, if you need any recommendations, I would easily say the Peavey Vypyr. The best amp I have used, and it made my crappy guitar sound pretty decent
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
The ad says Floyd Rose Special. Orignal Floyd Roses seem to always be marketed as "Original Floyd Rose" or "OFR" bridges. My guess is that the Floyd Rose Special is just another name for/version Licensed Floyd Rose. I used to own a low-mid range LTD super-strat style guitar. I loved that guitar. It was wonderful to play, and it was excellently built (for any guitar, not just for the price). The downside was the bridge. It would never stay in tune, even after I payed a tech to set it up. I now know it was not my fault. After trading it in on an Ibanez with an Edge III trem. I would go with a similarly priced fixed bridge LTD. They make great guitars, but their low-end LFRs suck!
lol if you want to then go ahead lol...but im looking at a peavey xxl right now for a GREAT price
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by blasphemy101
The ad says Floyd Rose Special. Orignal Floyd Roses seem to always be marketed as "Original Floyd Rose" or "OFR" bridges. My guess is that the Floyd Rose Special is just another name for/version Licensed Floyd Rose. I used to own a low-mid range LTD super-strat style guitar. I loved that guitar. It was wonderful to play, and it was excellently built (for any guitar, not just for the price). The downside was the bridge. It would never stay in tune, even after I payed a tech to set it up. I now know it was not my fault. After trading it in on an Ibanez with an Edge III trem. I would go with a similarly priced fixed bridge LTD. They make great guitars, but their low-end LFRs suck!

yeah thats what I was slightly worried about. I guess ill research it a bit more to see if its original.
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by Invert-blu
...I do commonly switch between standard and drop d since its so simple...im sure that wouldn't be ideal with a floyd rose

Just read this... I wouldn't be so sure. I was never able to accomplish this with my LTD, and I make a point not to try it with my Ibanez. Floyd Rose-style bridges work through balancing the tension between your strings and the springs attached to the bridge. When you change the tuning, you alter the tension on the strings and throw off this balance. On some FR-style bridges, you can hear strings go out of tune even when you're bending another. I can imagine that lowering the thickest string on the guitar a whole step would also throw off this balance.
Quote by blasphemy101
Just read this... I wouldn't be so sure. I was never able to accomplish this with my LTD, and I make a point not to try it with my Ibanez. Floyd Rose-style bridges work through balancing the tension between your strings and the springs attached to the bridge. When you change the tuning, you alter the tension on the strings and throw off this balance. On some FR-style bridges, you can hear strings go out of tune even when you're bending another. I can imagine that lowering the thickest string on the guitar a whole step would also throw off this balance.

yeah thats one of the main reasons im still considering a fixed bridge. HOWEVER, I could swear I saw a video somewhere of a guy switching between two tunings immediately just by pulling a mechanism of some sort on the tremolo....
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Just looked them up. Some people seem to like the Special quite a bit. It's apparently built to the same specs as the OFR but uses zinc saddles and a zinc sustain block (maybe other zinc parts)?
Quote by blasphemy101
Just looked them up. Some people seem to like the Special quite a bit. It's apparently built to the same specs as the OFR but uses zinc saddles and a zinc sustain block (maybe other zinc parts)?

hmmm zinc...pretty sure thats less durable than steel but yeah im looking it up right now
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
I have a Schecter with an OFR, and it will hold its tuning for months. Once you get a system for changing strings its not so bad. It is a task to change tunings though, even to drop D from standard, since you have to adjust the height and level of the trem, and for that reason I would say get a fixed bridge if you're going to change tunings at all.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Quote by Invert-blu
...switching between two tunings immediately just by pulling a mechanism of some sort on the tremolo....

Look up products like the D-Tuna, Tremol-no and Tremblocker. They have about the same effect on the bridge with regard to detuning. They block the trem so the springs can't pull the bridge down. This means with the mechanism working, you can't pull up on the arm to raise the pitch.

Sorry for the long posts, by the way. I'm just bored and pretending to be doing hw.
Quote by emr_steelmech
I have a Schecter with an OFR, and it will hold its tuning for months. Once you get a system for changing strings its not so bad. It is a task to change tunings though, even to drop D from standard, since you have to adjust the height and level of the trem, and for that reason I would say get a fixed bridge if you're going to change tunings at all.

Just curious, how long does it take you (estimate :p) to change a tuning (say from, standard to d standard)?
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Generally floyds are better for stretching squealies, dive bombs, and pitch raises.

Dive bombs can be used in place of slides and in some ways are better because if you slide down to the first fret and have to go back up to the 12th, you don't have to move with the floyd.

pitch raising (lifting up on the tremolo arm) can be used in place of bends. But the only time I can think of it as practical is at the end of a solo and you pull up slowly.

stretching squealies, is pretty self explanatory. You can pull up on the tremolo bar to raise the pitch of the squeal. Usually it rings out longer this way and you don't lose it.

I have a difficult time rocking the **** out on a floyd. I rest my hand on the bridge and sometimes when I'm chugging I'll raise the pitch which sounds... pretty bad.

So it's TOM for me. Maybe if I can make a tremolo thats like a bigsby mixed with a TOM that can go both ways (like a bisexual), I'll go to that. I can picture how it would look... just need to take apart a bigsby and figure out a bunch of stuff... Could be worth it. I'd be making millions.
Quote by blasphemy101
Look up products like the D-Tuna, Tremol-no and Tremblocker. They have about the same effect on the bridge with regard to detuning. They block the trem so the springs can't pull the bridge down. This means with the mechanism working, you can't pull up on the arm to raise the pitch.

Sorry for the long posts, by the way. I'm just bored and pretending to be doing hw.

hey I am not complaining, the more advice I can get the better imo
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Generally floyds are better for stretching squealies, dive bombs, and pitch raises.

Dive bombs can be used in place of slides and in some ways are better because if you slide down to the first fret and have to go back up to the 12th, you don't have to move with the floyd.

pitch raising (lifting up on the tremolo arm) can be used in place of bends. But the only time I can think of it as practical is at the end of a solo and you pull up slowly.

stretching squealies, is pretty self explanatory. You can pull up on the tremolo bar to raise the pitch of the squeal. Usually it rings out longer this way and you don't lose it.

I have a difficult time rocking the **** out on a floyd. I rest my hand on the bridge and sometimes when I'm chugging I'll raise the pitch which sounds... pretty bad.

So it's TOM for me. Maybe if I can make a tremolo thats like a bigsby mixed with a TOM that can go both ways (like a bisexual), I'll go to that. I can picture how it would look... just need to take apart a bigsby and figure out a bunch of stuff... Could be worth it. I'd be making millions.

id buy it lol
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Well, I just looked at the second guitar you posted. I didn't realize it was the same guitar without a LFR. Based on my past experience, if this is going to be your only guitar for a while, I would just get the TOM one. The LFR gives you more capabilities, but it will limit you, as long as you don't have one of those mechanisms that you brought up earlier.
Quote by blasphemy101
Well, I just looked at the second guitar you posted. I didn't realize it was the same guitar without a LFR. Based on my past experience, if this is going to be your only guitar for a while, I would just get the TOM one. The LFR gives you more capabilities, but it will limit you, as long as you don't have one of those mechanisms that you brought up earlier.

It seems im leaning towards that primarily because its not an actual OFR. The very bad thing is that, like many people, a large reason I want the LFR is the look of it, but I'll get over it

But if I can be convinced the LFR IS worth it, then thats a different story. But the only way for that in my opinion would be to play it and to talk to someone who personally owns it. Both of those options, atm, aren't possible in my area

Thankyou everyone for the help
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by Invert-blu
id buy it lol

It would be sort of complicated. It would have to be a bar with holes in it like a bigsby and a fixed arm attached to a spring so after you hit it, it goes back up. But the only problem would be intonation. Well maybe that and breaking the spring from pulling it too high or pushing it down too far.

About REAL FR's... I think it's kind of a nit-picky thing.

There's OFR's, LFR's and FR Special's. On top of that there's Ibanez Floyds Edge and ZR come to mind.

Essentially, an OFR is of higher quality than an LFR and a FR Special. But is it that much different? Yes and no.

As far as I know, the OFR is dug out further for higher pitch raising. It's an official Floyd Rose. So it's coming from the real Floyd Rose guys. An LFR, is coming from a 3rd party company, the 1st party company has licensed to make Floyds. FR Special's are just cheap Floyds.

There's nothing wrong with an LFR by any means. It's just not as high of quality as an OFR.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Aug 27, 2009,
Personally, I would get the fixed bridge. If you want to be able to do divebombs and all that then just buy a tremolo pedal, I'm not sure how good they are, but they do the same thing as a trem pretty much.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Firstly, Explorer with a tremolo, eww dude, just... eww.

Second, I thought maybe they meant a floyd rose 1000 series, but no its the same on the esp site, never heard of floyd rose special but its definitely not the 'original' though it will possibly say floyd rose on it.

If it were me I wouldn't touch anything that didn't have an original, and that really only leaves schecter at a reasonable price.

And they're too much trouble anyway.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
It would be sort of complicated. It would have to be a bar with holes in it like a bigsby and a fixed arm attached to a spring so after you hit it, it goes back up. But the only problem would be intonation. Well maybe that and breaking the spring from pulling it too high or pushing it down too far.

Well, new inventions have to have some flaws.
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by Invert-blu
Well, new inventions have to have some flaws.

Endorse me $1000 to make a prototype and I'll do it.
Quote by 123-Trav
Firstly, Explorer with a tremolo, eww dude, just... eww.

Second, I thought maybe they meant a floyd rose 1000 series, but no its the same on the esp site, never heard of floyd rose special but its definitely not the 'original' though it will possibly say floyd rose on it.

If it were me I wouldn't touch anything that didn't have an original, and that really only leaves schecter at a reasonable price.

And they're too much trouble anyway.

Well hey whats wrong with an explorer w/ tremolo!? I think they look great

But anyway, what you said is my exact fear considering that anytime I hear about a tremolo besides a OFR, I hear nothing but of complaining and problems.

Nevertheless, this trem is supposedly not so bad.
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Endorse me $1000 to make a prototype and I'll do it.

sure, as long as I get 50% of the income when the design takes off and we rake in the
cash
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by Invert-blu
sure, as long as I get 50% of the income when the design takes off and we rake in the
cash

I think 45% should be worth your while considering I did all the work =P
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by Invert-blu
It seems im leaning towards that primarily because its not an actual OFR. The very bad thing is that, like many people, a large reason I want the LFR is the look of it, but I'll get over it

But if I can be convinced the LFR IS worth it, then thats a different story. But the only way for that in my opinion would be to play it and to talk to someone who personally owns it. Both of those options, atm, aren't possible in my area

Thankyou everyone for the help

getting a FR for looks is very stupid.

the special and ofr are the SAME thing, but just differnt materials.

Same operation.

how come people who have been playing longer than me don't know **** about what I know?

look **** up. research.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Quote by CKYIbanezParker
getting a FR for looks is very stupid.

the special and ofr are the SAME thing, but just differnt materials.

Same operation.

how come people who have been playing longer than me don't know **** about what I know?

look **** up. research.

Well it wasn't the "FR" that caught my eye, just the guitar in general. But I will not buy a guitar because of looks, don't mistake me for that.

But yeah we figured out the material thing.
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Some people get an FR, block the trem and take the arm out.

There you go. A guitar with a locking bridge... that could be used as a floyd rose....
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Some people get an FR, block the trem and take the arm out.

There you go. A guitar with a locking bridge... that could be used as a floyd rose....

Yeah but then I would basically be spending 140 more dollars for a nice inlay and design
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by Invert-blu
Just curious, how long does it take you (estimate :p) to change a tuning (say from, standard to d standard)?

Well when i had a floyd, it took me a good 1-2 hours of hard work to try and tune it, which failed almost every time, so i usually ended up taking it to a guitar tech to fix it. That is why i got mine blocked up.

Believe me... its a lot of trouble.
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by chrisg7
Well when i had a floyd, it took me a good 1-2 hours of hard work to try and tune it, which failed almost every time, so i usually ended up taking it to a guitar tech to fix it. That is why i got mine blocked up.

Believe me... its a lot of trouble.

That may of just sealed the deal for me...
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
It's not hard if you know how to do it.

I wouldn't get a Floyd. I'd get a Maestro, Bigsby or a Strat styled tremolo/vibrato. Much less work. But I'd have to put locking tuners in it.
Page 1 of 2