Oh great amp gurus! I require your infinite wisdom!

Right now I have a Crate V33 2x12 that I was going to try and get rid of because its too big and loud for my current needs, plus, I've become very displeased with its over driven sound (it does have great cleans however). But recently a new opportunity has come up and I'll be starting a new band with some pals. We want to play shows at small clubs and bars around town.

I still want to get rid of my Crate because I dont like it very much, but due to my limited budget I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble. With my budget, I would replace it with somthing along the lines of a Peavey Classic 30 or a Black heart 15 watt. So would either of those be a significant improvement, and worth the trouble of getting rid of my current amp? Or should I just stick it out with the crate..?

Thanks for advice
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
I hear excellent things about the Peavey Classic 30. I own a Blackheart Little Giant and it sounds great, so I imagine that the 15 watt Blackheart would sound great as well.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Does the Crate still have stock speakers? Stock tubes?

You could try swapping them out, and maybe an EQ in the loop.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'd stick with the crate and stick an OD or distortion in front if you like the cleans.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
It depends on what kind of band your gonna want to be in. Classic 30's dont have a whole lot of gain, maybe something near 80's Maiden or a bit less. You would at least need a clean boost for more gain. Personally, I havent gotten to play any Blackhearts, but reading about em, it seems like those are rather mid to mid-high gain as well. Before you trade your Crate, try out some pedals on it, like maybe a tubescreamer, or something with higher gain on it to boost your amp's natural gain. If you dont like that, at least try some new tubes.
I play blues/ heavy classic rock.

I guess swapping tubes and using an OD aint a bad option. The clean channel hisses quite loudly and as I turn it up it makes sounds of the ocean. Do you suppose a tube swap would remedy this..?
It should. You might have microphonic tubes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
hmmmmm... Ok, maybe ill give it a shot.
Quote by Raijouta
Does the Crate still have stock speakers? Stock tubes?

You could try swapping them out, and maybe an EQ in the loop.
ah... well, I certainly will not discount the fact that speakers can make a huge difference but there is also the argument that one does not necessarily want to put too much into an amp that, in end, he might just not like.
try the new bugera v series .. i had the palomino v32 forever and those bastards slaughter it.
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Quote by al112987
ah... well, I certainly will not discount the fact that speakers can make a huge difference but there is also the argument that one does not necessarily want to put too much into an amp that, in end, he might just not like.

Yeah exactly, Id rather just get a amp that's good on its own rather then putting a lot of effort into this amp.

Ah well, im not in a rushed situation at all. I got time to decide.
If you like the cleans, I suggest buying a nice OD/Distortion pedal, or at least try swapping the tubes, that can help, and it's not too much of a huge investment
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
I always used the clean channel and pedals with my Peavey Classic 30 because I didn't care much for the dirty channel. So getting a C30 doesn't sound like a solution.