I was watching some picking technique videos on youtube, and I saw this in the little related videos tab, and thought it was pretty interesting. I know that a lot of really good guitarists hold the dunlop jazz III picks in very high esteem (Mark Tremonti and Kirk Hammett are the most high profile ones that come to mind), and this guy is really high on them. It's for the most part a regular old, this is the best stuff and here's why video, but he really shows a lot of material to back up his claims. It's interesting, I kind of want to pick up a pack of these now, just to try them. I'm still learning what kind of guitarist I am and what kind of picks work for me (been swapping between the .60 dunlop tortex and .73 nylon dunlops), so it can't hurt to try them.

Anyways, here's the video, I wonder how much of it he's faking, but it's a neat watch if you have a few minutes.

Video

Thoughts? Anybody use these picks? Are they really that much difference from the nylon or tortex standards?
I use the tortex jazz III's. I feel the attack of the pick is not as harsh as the nylon (red) ones. That's just me though. I swear by small picks like the jazz III too.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
i hate that tortex jazz 3s
i love the nylon jazz 3s though
Quote by scott58
Worst? I don't know. My buddies old MG 10 until we turned it into a cup holder and ash tray.
That was really interesting, especially around the 2:30 mark when he puts the .88 up against the Jazz III. You can really hear a difference, but I don't know if he's exaggerating his picking motion, though he says he's not. I've never tried a Jazz III before, I always use the Tortex .88.
I used to use Jazz picks when i first started until I realized that it was detrimental to my picking and wouldn't allow me to alternate pick right. I started using regular full sized picks and my picking has gotten better, but I'm curious to see if it was me, or the picks that messed with my picking.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
I've used em in the past, and I like em alot. The smaller size makes picking fast easier for me. I can't say anything, however, about his tonal comments. They do take a bit of getting used to, mostly because they are thicker (video says about 1.38mm) and much smaller than normal picks. But they do seem to make fast picking easier, which is a big plus. And the smaller size means less of a grip adjustment if you do pinch harmonics with your thumb. Buy a pack for sure, even if just to try em out.
i personally like the big stubby equivalent to the jazz 3. i find that the smooth edges give a smoother sound and allow the pick to glide even more.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
I think Jazz III's are slightly overrated- here's why.

Your picking will get faster, granted, however this is only because of the small size of the pick. The smaller size makes you get more accurate and therefore quicker. They are physically better, yes, but only to a marginal (if not, irrelevent) extent.

People, stop kidding yourselves.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
I love the tortex jazz's, two of my favourite picks put together.

Just go to the store, pay a few bucks and buy a pack and try them yourself, they don't cost that much.
I believe even Michael Angelo Batio uses them.
I love Jazz III's, I like smaller picks, and these are a nice size, and width especially, as they don't wear out as fast as thinner picks...
If the big pick is held at the same distance from the tip as with a smaller one you still only have the same amount of tip hitting the string. So big or little it should not have an effect on your speed.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
If the big pick is held at the same distance from the tip as with a smaller one you still only have the same amount of tip hitting the string. So big or little it should not have an effect on your speed.

it's a lot more comfortable to hold a smaller pick that way
I onlys use jazz III. They feel great and have a perfect size. And most importantly they sound great. A really clean attack without that "clunky" sound alot of picks have.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by NecroMaster
it's a lot more comfortable to hold a smaller pick that way

I agree as I use the jazz III's I just don't think one makes you play faster than the other is all.

I can play just as fast regardless if I am using the Jazz picks or regular.

Now the thickness makes a world of difference.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
i grabbed a pack of jazz III's, theyre 1.xx mm, I think 1.18, not 100% sure and im not sure if they come in smaller thicknesses, but so far I really like the pick.

One thing ive noticed though is that sometimes I end up holding the pick really really closely too my thumb and ill sometimes end up muting the string I just hit with my thumb - not enough to do a P.H. but just enough to mute. I guess its just me having to adjust, but so far I really like the pick.

I dont know if its the pick, or me getting better, but I can hit a pinch harmonic 90%+ of the time now which is pretty cool

I think its just a matter of adjusting to the smaller size, like I said I really do like the pciks but you really have to make sure youre holding the tip out enough from your fingers

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
nylon jazz IIIs are nice, but I still prefer my tortex .73s even if I have to file them and score them to get them how I like them lol
The way I hold any guitar pick, I hold it close to the tip anyways. I find with normal picks theres about 1/3 of the pick thats above my thumb that I don't use at all, so I find jazz's basically takes away that unused part of the pick. Saves plastic, and is much more comfortable for me as there's no extra plastic digging into the size of my index finger. That's my reason, plus the sharper tip is really nice for picking, though when I play stuff with a lot of strumming, I do use the fat part of the pick, so I switch back to regular picks.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Aug 28, 2009,
I love the jazz III. comes in black or red. Lots of people complain they are too small. I cannot stand holding on to a full size pick now. I dont like any give and love the attack I get from playing with em.
Quote by srob7001

I can play just as fast regardless if I am using the Jazz picks or regular.

Maybe just holding a smaller pick etc, and from the hype of Jazz III's, it's just that people think they play faster? lol
never used jazz 3s, i use tortex sharp .88mm
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Quote by zhilla
nylon jazz IIIs are nice, but I still prefer my tortex .73s even if I have to file them and score them to get them how I like them lol

Instead of worrying about filing them down, just buy the tortex sharp.

These are the picks I use

actually I'm switching between the black jazz III and the sharp tortex right now. trying to get a feel for which one makes my picking more efficient, and the guy has a point when he says that the jazz III doesn't have that extra material hanging out of your fingers cuz it's such a small pick. I've also noticed that same tonal difference between the jazz III and the tortex. the jazz III gives a smoother tone, not as umm...harsh as the tortex. but I admit I use the tortex more because of the sharp pointy edge on it. makes lead playing MUCH easier. not so much for rhythm tho.
I always use Jazz III's. Love them. I also have a tortex but it's too soft for my liking
I used standard Dunlop Tortex (1.14) for a real long time...then I used Stubbies for a real long time...and now I use Jazz III's. The combination of the small size and the sharp point...is a combination for the ages.

They're all sort of starting to feel the same though...I care less about how they affect my technique and more about the tone.

edit: and I've come to the sad realization that I am addicted to ellipses and thus am a failure of a writer
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Last edited by ramm_ty at Aug 29, 2009,
Will changing to Jazz III's really help out my playing? I play heavy metal and I am currently using the Dunlop Gator Grips (2mm)
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I love Stubbies, but the....bleep(?) it made when it hit the strings annoyed me, so I reverted back to Jazz III picks.
The only picks I really use are Jazz III's and Jazz II's. II's are the same thing but a rounded edge, it gives it a less subtle sound then the III's.
so the question is:

Is it sensible to use Jazz IIIs just for the benefit of having better tone? Even I feel slightly more comfortable with another pick?
Quote by Moonshield17
so the question is:

Is it sensible to use Jazz IIIs just for the benefit of having better tone? Even I feel slightly more comfortable with another pick?

bump.

I'm currently practicing with both the Jazz III and the tortex, but which one should I stick to?

Jazz III = better tone
Tortex sharp = more comfortable for me to hold and pick with it.
Quote by Moonshield17
so the question is:

define better tone.

whatever you like is best

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
better tone as is demonstrated in the video this thread is about. like it actually is a bit clearer when you use a jazz III as opposed to a tortex. I think it's because of the the material that the pick is made out of.
I think a lot of the pick's advantage is the pointed edge. In fact, I can play the same speed with Jazz IIIs as Fender Heavy picks that I've filed to a point.
Nylon seems to be alot brighter than Tortex.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
i think it would have been a little bit better had he used a tortex 1.14 instead of a .88, for the sake of similar gauges. but other than that it makes a lot of sense
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09