I never really looked into it much until now but I need to know fully how to do it. I understand you need pedals or something but not sure which. I have a Peavey Vypyr so would the Sanpera allow me to be on red distortion and switch to green clean? I need it mainly for Megadeth songs like Holy Wars and Trust.
Two ways.

You can either use a Channel selector to switch from the clean to the drive channel on your amp, Or you can stay on clean/drive and just switch on a drive/distortion pedal.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
you've been playing for almost two years and you're asking this question?...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
You can use your volume knobs too. I always set the volume on my neck pickup really low and the volume on my bridge maxed out or just under, switch between them for clean and RAWRRR.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
You can use your volume knobs too. I always set the volume on my neck pickup really low and the volume on my bridge maxed out or just under, switch between them for clean and RAWRRR.

lol I do the same!

As for the sanpera, I was told by a good friend of mine that the sanpera can do just that. but then again, he HAS been known to lie so Id look it up on google
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
I use a pedal. Honestly, running over to your amp and pushing a button to switch the sound from distortion to clean would look bad.

Unfortunately for me, my pickups don't work like yours. Though it could be my pedal. When I flip to the neck pickup and roll the volume down, it's still distorted, but it becomes like a fuzz distortion.
Lol running to your amp would b kinda funny though lol....don't know what a sanpera is....yeah but get a good distortion pedal...I like boss so a ds-1 or mt-2 would be my choice...I'm not really a metal guy but I've heard the mts sound good...

And to rOck: maybe look into changing your volume pot to a 250k if its a 500 or maybe finding a mod where you can add a capacitor or something to it so you can roll off the volume and keep your tone...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I use a pedal. Honestly, running over to your amp and pushing a button to switch the sound from distortion to clean would look bad.

Unfortunately for me, my pickups don't work like yours. Though it could be my pedal. When I flip to the neck pickup and roll the volume down, it's still distorted, but it becomes like a fuzz distortion.
This is common with lower quality amps and solid state amps. I could literally never get it to work all that well until I started using my plexi head, and then, suddenly, it became really easy, you can go from clean to crunch just by varying your pick attack with the right amp.

click the thumbnail, mostly just varying pick attack to get clean and crunch. It never really gets completely clean unless I pick lightly with the volume down a bit, but this is also with the amp cranked balls out to 10.

(Excuse the rather bland playing, ever since I started college I very seldom get to actually play guitar)
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by al112987
This is common with lower quality amps and solid state amps. I could literally never get it to work all that well until I started using my plexi head, and then, suddenly, it became really easy, you can go from clean to crunch just by varying your pick attack with the right amp.

I do it with EMGs into a Marshall AVT or into a Pocket POD. It works on my brother's Cube, it worked on my old Fender SS amp. I've never seen it fail to work on any amp I've ever tried with, most of which have been SS or modellers.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
I do it with EMGs into a Marshall AVT or into a Pocket POD. It works on my brother's Cube, it worked on my old Fender SS amp. I've never seen it fail to work on any amp I've ever tried with, most of which have been SS or modellers.
I own an AVT, and it does not clean up NEARLY as well as with my JTM45 head, is not nearly as touch responsive and more importantly, rolling down the guitar's volume on the AVT does not yield sounds nearly as usable as that with a tube amp, and even though the sound cleans up somewhat, it does not really sound all that good with the volume on the guitar turned down, it becomes brittle and does not give a wide range of usable tones because most of them just do not sound that good.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by al112987

click the thumbnail, mostly just varying pick attack to get clean and crunch. It never really gets completely clean unless I pick lightly with the volume down a bit, but this is also with the amp cranked balls out to 10.

(Excuse the rather bland playing, ever since I started college I very seldom get to actually play guitar)

Surprised you haven't been stabbed yet with a Plexi in a dormitory.

I would love to have that ability to simply chug and get crunchy sounds, possibly with an amp upgrade. I am only running through an MG...
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by ZeroCS
Surprised you haven't been stabbed yet with a Plexi in a dormitory.
Unfortunately I do not have the amp at school with me, it's really quite a raw deal because I put a large chunk of my time and money into that amp and in the end I rarely even have time to play it, it currently resides at my parents' house where we have a sound proofed home theater room (thus allowing me to crank it to my heart's desire)

Playing guitar in a dormitory is tough, I don't actually live in a dorm, I moved out of the dorms after my freshman year and have lived in an apartment with a friend of mine for the past two years, but still, thin walls, can't have the giant amp here, really use my small SS practice amps more, but they aren't particularly inspiring so I just don't really play guitar whilst I'm at school, it really becomes more of a thing I do when I go home for breaks.
Quote by al112987
I own an AVT, and it does not clean up NEARLY as well as with my JTM45 head, is not nearly as touch responsive and more importantly, rolling down the guitar's volume on the AVT does not yield sounds nearly as usable as that with a tube amp, and even though the sound cleans up somewhat, it does not really sound all that good with the volume on the guitar turned down, it becomes brittle and does not give a wide range of usable tones because most of them just do not sound that good.

Works fine for my needs, it's bright, reasonably defined and not overly harsh. For as little as I need cleans, it works fine. I mostly play through my Pod now though.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
tube amps are sensitive to volume, if its a solid state, most likely you wont be able to do it by rolling your volume or picking quieter... sometimes you can use pedal that came with your amp to switch channels, or buy a stomp box with a distortion you like.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by al112987
Unfortunately I do not have the amp at school with me, it's really quite a raw deal because I put a large chunk of my time and money into that amp and in the end I rarely even have time to play it, it currently resides at my parents' house where we have a sound proofed home theater room (thus allowing me to crank it to my heart's desire)

Playing guitar in a dormitory is tough, I don't actually live in a dorm, I moved out of the dorms after my freshman year and have lived in an apartment with a friend of mine for the past two years, but still, thin walls, can't have the giant amp here, really use my small SS practice amps more, but they aren't particularly inspiring so I just don't really play guitar whilst I'm at school, it really becomes more of a thing I do when I go home for breaks.

I feel you, I will anyways. I'll be moving away to college, and considering I'll be owning a Peavey XXX in a few days I'll only have a short while to actually play it. Not quite as orgasmic as a Plexi albeit the latter of the situation remains the same. I take it the carrying around of SS amps over tubes is due to the lack of maintenance over tubes, or is it more of a volume difference?

That is rather uninspiring. To be honest in a situation like that I'd rather take on acoustic for awhile. Always wanted to become the next Andy McKee wannabe. Although, even with studies, balancing guitar, college life, and school work will become a bitch.

Man, college is going to SUCK at first.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

Last edited by ZeroCS at Aug 28, 2009,
I do it for no other reason than the SS amp is low maintenance, can be played at lower volumes and I just had it sitting around. I'm looking to replace it with an HT-5 which I actually really like. But I mean in the end, even a 5 watt tube amp is too much to really crank up, but it still sounds loads better than the Marshall AVT and whilst I'm going to install a master volume on the plexi, it's simply too large to even fit in my room.
Quote by al112987
I do it for no other reason than the SS amp is low maintenance, can be played at lower volumes and I just had it sitting around. I'm looking to replace it with an HT-5 which I actually really like. But I mean in the end, even a 5 watt tube amp is too much to really crank up, but it still sounds loads better than the Marshall AVT and whilst I'm going to install a master volume on the plexi, it's simply too large to even fit in my room.

Orange Tiny Terror perhaps? Ah who am I kidding. That's 7 watts tube and nothing but a children's toy. Definitley go with an HT-5, I had a chance to mess around with one, I wouldn't exactly crank it but it really is your best bet. Although, there are those low wattage Laney amps methinks.

I would see a Plexi being more of an annoyance if anything in that environment. Lol, I could only imagine the voyage of hauling the cab to my room. That's always fun.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7