How much do they usually make?

I was talking today with someone and I was telling them it was taking me forever to save up for the gear (just a new guitar and amp) I really want. So they brought up the point (since I'm just starting a band) that just start gigging (we haven't started yet since we're writing and whatnot) and use a percentage of the profits.

I would imagine gigging, even consistently doesn't pay all too well?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I'd imagine $150-$500 for the whole band.

I see

That being said where would it be a good idea to start looking for gigs? We don't really have a clue as to where to look.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
nah you are lucky if you get fully reimbursed for gas....thats until you get some recognition
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
This belongs in bandleading, I would think, not in here. They'd probably be able to give you better answers in there.

As for finding gigs, figure out what the local venues are that are holding cheapo shows for local bands, and try and get in contact with the manager. Probably easier if you have some recorded songs to hand out as a demo.
Quote by rigiddigits
Well I'm a girl and I don't want to die so I guess I'll have to choose to be raped.

Nobody sig that

Check out my gaming blog, Zombie Arcade
Quote by williamdllr
nah you are lucky if you get fully reimbursed for gas....thats until you get some recognition

Hmm

So again, where could I start looking?

I'd imagine it'd be easier if we start out locally I guess.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
if u have any friends in bands that already gig, ask them to bring u onstage as a special guest at one of their gigs. its the best and easiest way to get ur name out to the venue owners. as long as u do well u can count on the owner comin up to u backstage and askin if u have a band.
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Quote by williamdllr

Depends on what kind of gigs you want to do... Judging by the gear in your sig, you're not looking to play restaurants, so I'm inclined to agree with this guy. I have an uncle who works with bands. His biggest one pulls in like $3k a gig, but I'm sure it took them quite a while.
Last edited by blasphemy101 at Aug 27, 2009,
my firsy=t gig was at a place called the old school compound and thats a indoor skate park...try some local bars and what not and talk to the manager
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
IMO you just gotta love doing it. You make chump change when you split opening act money between everyone who gets a cut. And a headline show at Bubba's Drop C lounge doesn't pay any better. The way I see it, I loose money when I play out no matter what we get paid but at least I get to do it. And I do love it even at the small taters level.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by wicket_nirvana
if u have any friends in bands that already gig, ask them to bring u onstage as a special guest at one of their gigs. its the best and easiest way to get ur name out to the venue owners. as long as u do well u can count on the owner comin up to u backstage and askin if u have a band.

Nah man. I don't have any other friends that gig. That'd be convenient lol.

When you mean venues...just give some generic examples (I'm 16 cut me some slack lol)

Quote by troubletcat
This belongs in bandleading, I would think, not in here. They'd probably be able to give you better answers in there.

As for finding gigs, figure out what the local venues are that are holding cheapo shows for local bands, and try and get in contact with the manager. Probably easier if you have some recorded songs to hand out as a demo.

I have no idea where that part of the forums are.

AND

Let's say our band has a demo CD(s) we can circulate through town or through or county or even state.

Should we be picky about who we give it to (don't want people stealin our mofo'ing riffs or nothing lol)? Or is it generally safe to hand them out to people on sight?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Play in your town, go on myspace to network with venues and bands, google venues in your area.

And don't expect to get paid a cent. Consider yourself lucky to get gas money. If you think you are going to get money to go anywhere except back to cover band expenses, you are living a dream. It doesn't happen until you work your ass off for years and get a fan base and probably a label.

Here is the reality of an actual gig: On Saturday my band had a gig 2 hours from where we live. Our guarantee was $30 to go straight to gas, which wouldn't even cover it. The show was over, I went to the promoter to get our money, and the show didn't break even. We left without a cent. The only good thing was we sold CDs to probably 1/4 of the crowd and that covered our gas. Barely breaking even on a 4 hour road trip.

Basically, play for the love of music, not for money or fancy new gear.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Should we be picky about who we give it to (don't want people stealin our mofo'ing riffs or nothing lol)? Or is it generally safe to hand them out to people on sight?

Give your stuff out. If people steal stuff, they're not likely going to make it very far either XD. If they do you have the proof that you made it first. If you sue them and win, you'll likely make more money than you would have anyways.
Make merch. When you start gigging, give out a demo for free as promotion, and for like the first 3 or 4 shows, give out free T-Shirts. after that, starts charging 5-15 per shirt, but still give out the CD. The first batch of free shirts will be subliminal promotion, and then after that, theyll be paying you to promote your band! and the free cds...well anyone will take a free CD regardless of content, thus getting your music to audience that wouldnt normally give it a second thought
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
absolutely start gigging, but for the experience not the money. you wont find a lot of money at first. thats what day jobs are for
Quote by wicket_nirvana

lolwut?

You can't just wait around to have the bar owner coming up to you, it's YOU who has to talk to them.

Get a myspace account, do some home demos and get some basic media (photos, a myspace layout) and then ask them if you can play an off night and claim you can draw in on that dead night. ALSO find people with connections
Getting gigs is as easy as playing on a Friday night at a bar.

Guaranteed one of the million times you do it, there will be a guy there that has connections with a local venue.

On top of that, sounding great and having a band myspace will help. Publicity and being worth talking about is a good start.
Quote by wicket_nirvana

lol talking to venue owners is easier then that.. try it sometimes
Quote by blasphemy101
Give your stuff out. If people steal stuff, they're not likely going to make it very far either XD. If they do you have the proof that you made it first. If you sue them and win, you'll likely make more money than you would have anyways.

And what would I need as "proof" if this might be the case?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I'd imagine $150-$500 for the whole band.

I was gonna say like $10 per person if that much

Depends on where you gig, how well known you are in the area, how many fans are coming, etc.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
And what would I need as "proof" if this might be the case?

Dated recordings, copyrights, possibly notated music that was written and printed before the alleged music theft, etc.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 27, 2009,
I don't understand what people's obsession with bars and pubs are. People aren't there to hear musicians, they are there to drink and have a good time. They don't care as long as the band doesn't suck. A jukebox or the like is a perfect substitute in many bars. It's like everyone is hoping for some cinderella story where they are discovered in a bar by some label exec that just happened to stumble over this awesome band. That is called luck, and you can't plan on it.

If you aren't old enough to drink, playing in a bar is probably a waste. Chances are, people closer to your age are more inclined to like your music.

This kid is sixteen, so he should stick to all ages venues, maybe a couple 16+ shows if there are any.
Quote by CODE
Collin, I think you would have to sell t-shirts at least for cost. They aren't cheap.

And free demos is the best idea IMO, as long as they sound decent.

Wow your the fist person to listen to that part of my sig. i applaud you

If you buy a lot of shirts at once, you can save money in the long run. If you buy say 100 shirts, the Cost/Shirt is usually >$10. And you gotta send money to earn money
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Shinozoku
I was gonna say like $10 per person if that much

Depends on where you gig, how well known you are in the area, how many fans are coming, etc.

Dated recordings, copyrights, possibly notated music that was written and printed before the alleged music theft, etc.

Well what do I do for any three of those?

Do I just keep tabs on what day I recorded? How do I get copyrights to my music? Notated?

Also the music comes firsthand before anything. We were eventually gonna get to gigging but I just thought it might be an idea to start earlier then we expected.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
I was more refering to having demos to send to people who own venues (although giving them out for promotion purposes is good too) because managers tend to be hesitant to have a band play that they have never heard.

As for what 'venues' are, this is any place that has live music. Generic examples are local bars and clubs if you're just starting out, generally, aswell as smaller venues that are specifically for holding performance art of various kinds.
Quote by rigiddigits
Well I'm a girl and I don't want to die so I guess I'll have to choose to be raped.

Nobody sig that

Check out my gaming blog, Zombie Arcade
Imo, in Music, you gotta be as big as Metallica, or self produce and release you albums and stay local. What my band did, was we put up songs on myspace to get people to listen to us, then we had friends and family spread the word and stuff.

Once we released enough songs for an EP and then a CD, we sold them to friends and family members etc etc. Idk if we got lucky, but in a month we sold about $300 worth of CD's and we were able to book a bunch of gigs before we knew it.
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by CODE
I don't understand what people's obsession with bars and pubs are. People aren't there to hear musicians, they are there to drink and have a good time. They don't care as long as the band doesn't suck. A jukebox or the like is a perfect substitute in many bars. It's like everyone is hoping for some cinderella story where they are discovered in a bar by some label exec that just happened to stumble over this awesome band. That is called luck, and you can't plan on it.

If you aren't old enough to drink, playing in a bar is probably a waste. Chances are, people closer to your age are more inclined to like your music.

This kid is sixteen, so he should stick to all ages venues, maybe a couple 16+ shows if there are any.

It's not an obsession. Local businesses like bars/pubs/restaurants/parties/other events are the only ones able to pay for a band because they are making money elsewhere. No one is going to pay a small local band hardly anything to play their own music. This 'kid' is asking how he can make the most money playing music. Oddds are, no matter how good he is, he won't ever have a hit on the radio.

I'm not saying you should never play/write original music. I love original music and local bands, I think they're great, but most of them do not produce music that could make them successful. Just play restaurants etc. to make money, and write your own music and jam on it until you feel like you have something you think other people will like. When you play your music for other people, you have to remember to keep from it being all about you. Have fun, but remember you have to be fun to listen to.
Being 16, try local all ages clubs that have local bands and places like coffee shops and such that'll have you play. A friend of mine's band had their first gig at a coffee shop downtown last weekend.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by blasphemy101
It's not an obsession. Local businesses like bars/pubs/restaurants/parties/other events are the only ones able to pay for a band because they are making money elsewhere. No one is going to pay a small local band hardly anything to play their own music. This 'kid' is asking how he can make the most money playing music. Oddds are, no matter how good he is, he won't ever have a hit on the radio.

I'm not saying you should never play/write original music. I love original music and local bands, I think they're great, but most of them do not produce music that could make them successful. Just play restaurants etc. to make money, and write your own music and jam on it until you feel like you have something you think other people will like. When you play your music for other people, you have to remember to keep from it being all about you. Have fun, but remember you have to be fun to listen to.

When people twist your words like this over the internet...it puzzles me sometimes.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
most venues want to know how many people you can bring in the door. try to get your selves a demo tape of your selves, if you are doing your own original songs, take a decent demo cd to your local univesity radio station. its a good way to get a following for your music, and you could hook up some frat parties(always fun) , and then hit the local colledge bars around campus. be willing to play for next to nothing at first but later when you know you can draw a crowd you can demand more money and /or the door cover charge.
tobacco sunburst schecter c1 classic
black,with creme binding ibanez arc-100
tubescreamer
fender,"ultimate chorus"amp