Right now I'm a junior in college, and over the past year or so I've slowly realized that music (being a musician in particular) is the one thing that I want to be involved in for as long as possible. Of course, I'm a Chinese major (creative writing minor or possible double-major, but for obvious reasons I'm not going to rely on that for a career), so I'm planning on looking for a job in that field after I graduate, not only to put my experience to good use but also to pay off all my student loans.

My problem -- and I'm guessing this is a common one with musicians -- is that I'm not sure when I should go about pursuing a career in music. Right now I've been writing songs and practicing on my own, as well as jamming with a few friends, but I haven't had a specific goal in mind.

A lot of other members have probably gone through something like this, and I'd like your advice: how have you balanced being a musician with having a full-time job, and in that situation is it practical to gradually make music your career?