Hello,

I'm in college now and since I'm a music major and my focal instrument is guitar, I'm required to become a classically trained little Segovia

Anyways, I was checking out some cool songs to learn on youtube, and I came across Recuerdos de la Alhambra. So, I went to the music library and got the score and the whole friggin song is 32nd and 64th notes!

Now, since I'm playing arpeggios for the bassline chords and the insane fast melody all with one hand, how does one get a strong tremolo picking sound whenever they pick? Mine's been pretty quiet (maybe because I haven't grown my nails out yet?).

And any tips from other classical players out there they can offer regarding getting a stronger picking sound? When I play regular chords and slow melodic improvisations I do just fine, but there's something about the speed that makes it less loud. I might not be pressing down hard enough, too.

Thanks!
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
alright guys, thanks! I've been growing them out for a week..lol.

anything I could add to the diet to make them grow faster and make them harder and more resistant to breakage? i already know lots of calcium like milk and stuff. and...how to keep them clean underneath because since they're going to be long?
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
I keep my nails clean with a toothpick or a nailcutter with a special extension meant to clean under the nails. Works all the time. Be sure to wash your hands regularily though and under your nails too, they will stink really fast after a while.

About the tremolo picking, I have no clue, I play with a pick.
I don't have a strong tremelo but my understanding is that you HAVE to work with a metronome. Focus on accuracy and consistnecy, hitting the string with the exact same part of the nail each time, if you don't you end up with an irregular galloping sound. Also I assume that you know the correct fingering for classical tremelo? If not: first you pluck the bass note with you thumb, then you strike the melody string with your ring finger (i?) and then your middle finger (m?), then you index finger (a?). Im not sure if i got the letters for each finger right. Anyway its just a case of rinse and repeat after that. Good luck
Quote by GuitarGuitar
I don't have a strong tremelo but my understanding is that you HAVE to work with a metronome. Focus on accuracy and consistnecy, hitting the string with the exact same part of the nail each time, if you don't you end up with an irregular galloping sound. Also I assume that you know the correct fingering for classical tremelo? If not: first you pluck the bass note with you thumb, then you strike the melody string with your ring finger (i?) and then your middle finger (m?), then you index finger (a?). Im not sure if i got the letters for each finger right. Anyway its just a case of rinse and repeat after that. Good luck

yep, I know pima.

the thumb is P, i is index, m is middle and a is ring.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
basically what you need to do is grow and shape your nails (dont cut them, file them) and use P A M I repeatedly
make sure to get a good nail file and smoothing tool, I use a metal file, and for the smoothing i use this brick type thing I found at CVS that has like 6 steps but i just use the 4 polishing/smoothing steps.