Page 1 of 3
Hi, just wandering and lookin at those amps and cant see the difference. Oh and is it worth the money? I mean for me Cuz I play a lot of rock from Blink182 to Metallica. So I just want to hear your opinions or maybe advices ;] Thanks
i'm not sure about the price difference, but the spider jam is better. has a bunch of cool backing tracks and stuff. and everything the spider has.

but seriously, you'll reget getting a spider. any sort. if you ask anyone on UG that owns a spider, 90% of them will say they regret it. it's up to you, but i'd get something a lot better. have a look at the peavey vypyr. so much better for the money.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
I personally think the Spider blows the Vypyr out of the water. I've never cared much for the Vypyr at all. My ex's brother has one, and I fiddled with it for about an hour and havn't touched it since.

But then again, I love my marshall MG, so you probably shouldnt listen to me lol.
Well the spider jam has way more features such as more effects and loops. And I believed the spider jam was 100 watt and the Spider III 75 watt.
The specialty off these amps is their diversity and their distortion sound. Clean is just not as good as other amps you can buy for the same money.
As you are playing Blink 182 and metallica it goes along with the amp because it's distortion.
Many people says these amps suck because of the way they think about digital amps. I say try it out and look if it something for you.
Why Do You Want A Spider???
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Now I'm totally messed up ... I dont like Marshall MG's for its distortion sound. Lets say my limit is about 600-700$
SpiderValve 212 Bogner Tube Amp
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Guys I'm an amateur player I dont need a tube amp (SpiderValve 212 Bogner 800$, way out of my limit ;D )
Quote by JesusCrisp

You tried typing that in full caps didn't you?

Don't do that.

And OP. Try a vypyr, or a Roland cube for a while. If you like the spider, then get it, it's your money after all.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Mantaz
Guys I'm an amateur player I dont need a tube amp (SpiderValve 212 Bogner 800$, way out of my limit ;D )

Tube amps are not only for pros.
Also if you don't want a tube amp, get a decent SS amp, not a Spider.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Mantaz
Now I'm totally messed up ... I dont like Marshall MG's for its distortion sound. Lets say my limit is about 600-700$

That quite a large budget, you could get a decent tube amp for that price, a blackstar HT-5 would be fantastic just for home use. However if you're looking for a cheaper alternative then go for the roland cube, or peavey vypyr. DO NOT BUY AN MG OR A SPIDER, seriously you'll regret it.

Quote by Mantaz

Anyone can use tube amp, they're not just for professionals, the Blackstar HT-5 is only £300 in the UK, its probably even cheaper in the US.
Last edited by greenwoodfan93 at Aug 28, 2009,
Now I'm really messed up In my country those kind of things are expensive so 600$ is not that much here's a translated link
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=lt&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.muzikosfaktorius.com%2F%3Flng%3Dlt%26cur%3Dltl%26m%3D2%26s%3D40%26b%3D44%26gm%3DLINE6&sl=lt&tl=en&history_state0=&swap=1 By the way the prices are not euro its litas 1doller = 2,47 litas
Quote by Mantaz

Are you kidding me?
You have a limit of 700 dollars and you want a freaking spider?

Wow.

Honestly, I would never pay over 150 dollars or so for a solid state amp or any form of digital amp modeller.
Anymore and it's a waste.. you could just use the money to put into a tube and if you know how to look right you can find a half decent small tube combo for 300-400 dollars or so.. maybe a 112 30 watts or so but it'd still be pretty darn good and even if you played live you could just mic it up.. most likely it'll be miced up anyway no matter what the size.. unless it's at like a coffee shop and in that case 30 watts would be plenty.

But anyways.. 600-700 dollars?
Seriously.
Go look up some tube amps. Don't waste that much money on a solid state piece of crap.

edit:
okay.. why the hell are you using the american dollar symbol if you're talking in euros?
€.. *sigh*
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Aug 28, 2009,
Anyway thank you all for helping me. Now my eyes see a little clearer ;D
On the price thing, if you're buying on the net, buy from Thomann. They deliver pretty much anywhere on mainland Europe (and elsewhere) and their prices are pretty decent. I know how you feel, shops over here sell stuff for the same price in Euros as they're worth in Dollars
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Mantaz

If you have the money, you're allowed to buy nice gear. It's not about being a pro or anything.
Look, the spider VALVE 112 is $399 right now. If you need a cheap versatile loud amp on a budget do that.

Or save.

I am not a fan of the vypyrs, they are just unreliable amps judging by the warranty returns we get in the shop. Sorry guys, they sound good but really, I'd rather have a spider valve or PV Valveking having played all three countess times.

the 112 has been discontinued, samash and gc are blowing them out at $399. Not even avail on mf anymore.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-Valve-112-40W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483066
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

are you getting hardware or software issues on the Vypyr greg?

It's the "my amp doesn't turn on" line mostly. Not sure if it's software related, but I suspect that is one possible cause. It's also mostly the all SS amps, but we haven't received and sold but a few hybrids. (2 from what I've heard in the shop). So I should qualify my non-recs on the SS amps and not the hybrids.
By the way you have to buy on the Thomann site of your country, because of VAT etc. they have different prices. Prices on the UK site may be a bit low because they bay practically no VAT.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
By the way you have to buy on the Thomann site of your country, because of VAT etc. they have different prices. Prices on the UK site may be a bit low because they bay practically no VAT.

This not a problem I could buy an adapter.
Quote by JesusCrisp

Why Do You Start Each Word With A Capital???
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Quote by Mr.Feather
Why Do You Start Each Word With A Capital???

I WANTED TO USE CAPS FOR THE WHOLE SENTENCE, AND THAT HAPPENS IF YOU TRY TO DO THAT.

EDIT: lol, it worked now.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
My opinion is to buy one, I have one and I decided tu buy one cuz the marshall is to crunchy and the ibanez-fender are to clean, also I don´t have to waste time doing a distortion of a band I like cuz is on the amp, but if you want to have more look just buy a used marshall and a pod.

But I prefer 100 times more the spider to any other amp, and for the people out there yes the line 6 may sound a little digital but if you really "used" the amp you´d know the sound can be modeled just a little to be perfect.

Well thats my opinion.
"ONE TEAR FOR THE HUMAN SOULS,
TEN TEARS FOR THE DEMONS GODS,
SIX TEARS FOR THE FORGOTEN WORLD
AND 25 TEARS TO GET YOUR LOVE."
Quote by metal_prisioner
My opinion is to buy one, I have one and I decided tu buy one cuz the marshall is to crunchy and the ibanez-fender are to clean, also I don´t have to waste time doing a distortion of a band I like cuz is on the amp, but if you want to have more look just buy a used marshall and a pod.

But I prefer 100 times more the spider to any other amp, and for the people out there yes the line 6 may sound a little digital but if you really "used" the amp you´d know the sound can be modeled just a little to be perfect.

Well thats my opinion.

Your opinion is worthless.

The ENGL is a decent rock amp, should be everything you need and then some.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
spider jam or spider 3?

Answer: Flextone

EDIT: you live in America? for that price you can get a vetta, and you won't need a new amp for a loooong time.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
No I live in Europe, Lithuania (near Russia) And I'm lookin not only for a practise amp but for a small gig as well.
can't go wrong with engls, they might be a little too raw and gainy for like blink i guess...

Definately go tube imo though, don't go spider.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by DaddyBarbs
can't go wrong with engls, they might be a little too raw and gainy for like blink i guess...

Definately go tube imo though, don't go spider.

I just understand why not? because they sound too digital?
Because they are just practice amps, meaning anything above 30 watts is pointless, there is better for the price and yes they sound digital.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
If you want modelling stuff, look into the Line 6 Vetta / Flextone. Personally I hated the vyper but each to their own. If you're happy getting stuff with pedals and such then how about these:
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox night train
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Marshall Haze? <-- not sure about that heard mixed reviews about it

They're all single channel tube amps which should get you what you want (I think) with the right pedals in front.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

The selling point of the Jam isn't the sound it makes (if you like really digital, you might like it). I bought one of these and have no regrets BUT I certainly don't use it for performance. It's a practice and recording tool. It has lots of overdubbing and looping capability, you can store everything you record on SD cards, transfer to your DAW, diddle around with it all you want, then stick it back in and play along with the results.

One of the nicer features is, you can take one of the hundreds of built in tracks or something you recorded, and then independently change either pitch or tempo. You can plug in a CD, guitar, bass and mic and record all at once, with independent effects for each.

(And it's worth noting that Line 6 keeps adding features, which can be downloaded off the net and uploaded into the amp. The variable speed/pitch control came with such an updated download.)

Now, about that digital sound. It's not good, but I got a stereo-to-mono 1/4" jack and hooked Line 6 headphone out to a Fender Deluxe preamp-in, to get tube amplification. Much better, if I were forced to gig with this thing. But that's not its purpose.
Hmmm well ok I got the idea about Line6 amps. So I made a list of amps and I would like some advice on them so do look:

1. MARSHALL AVT-50H (dont know about the cabinet, maybe MARSHALL MG-412A) If more money is needed I will continue saving
2. RANDALL RX-75RG2
3. VOX AD-100VT
4. Peavey Bandit 112
5. ENGL ;DD dont know any models but damn they are expensive lookin for the not so expensive.
Page 1 of 3