- Ill mostly be playing Metal, but ill play anything but Jazz, Blues and Country
- My favorite band is Metallica and thats what ill be playing the most, othher bands are A7X, BFMV, Cob, Megadeth, Trivium...
- Ill be using it with a Bugera 333XL-212(dont have it yet, but getting it soon)
- No Tremelo
- 22 or 24 Frets(I dont know if I really need 24 but it would be nice to have)
- Under $1000CAD($920USD)
- Will go used
Heres some that I think Ill like:
- ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
- ESP LTD EC-401
- ESP LTD EX-401
- ESP LTD FX-401SM
(Whats the difference between the 1000 and 401 series? Is it just the look, or will they sound different? Also is there any difference in sound between EX and FX?)
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I wont be getting the guitar for a while, ill be getting a new amp soon then sometime after that ill get the guitar.
I would also look into some Ibanezes, Jacksons, and Schecters. If you're going used, you may be able to find an ESP or a Prestige Ibanez (RGA since you don't want a trem).
1000 series has abalone lining, haha. Some like it, some don't. Take a look. They're supposed to be better constructed and quality controlled, and have better bridges. Most I can say is to try them out side by side if you can.

24 frets would be nice because it seems Metallica goes that high on solos with relative frequency. And it can't hurt to have them, unless you need a Les Paul neck pickup sound (which you can't get with 24 frets). That's not important for Metallica as far as I know.

As for alternatives, well the LTDs are great guitars, so definitely stick with 'em. If you want some variety, maybe try out the Ibanez RGA42FM. I haven't looked at more expensive Ibanezes or other brands though, so I wouldn't be able to advise on those.

I have an MH-401 and I love it! Great build quality, holds tuning well, quite enough sustain for my needs, and it sounds badass.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
If you want a metal guitar, there are great Schecters in the price range of up to 600$.
I have tried a few Schecters, and I can say that they are very well built... and I love the EMG pickups on those babies... they just scream METAL SHREDDING!

The only reason I didn't bought a Schecter is because I play other genres of music as lead guitar in my band... and I wanted a sharper sound for my solos.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by The Red Comet
1000 series has abalone lining, haha. Some like it, some don't. Take a look. They're supposed to be better constructed and quality controlled, and have better bridges. Most I can say is to try them out side by side if you can.

24 frets would be nice because it seems Metallica goes that high on solos with relative frequency. And it can't hurt to have them, unless you need a Les Paul neck pickup sound (which you can't get with 24 frets). That's not important for Metallica as far as I know.

As for alternatives, well the LTDs are great guitars, so definitely stick with 'em. If you want some variety, maybe try out the Ibanez RGA42FM. I haven't looked at more expensive Ibanezes or other brands though, so I wouldn't be able to advise on those.

I have an MH-401 and I love it! Great build quality, holds tuning well, quite enough sustain for my needs, and it sounds badass.

Yup. Most people bash ESP's LTD lineup as bad guitars, but so long as you don't buy the basic 50's, they are pretty solid guitars.
Take the EC. Played an EX when buying my MH. Very difficult to play on your lap.

EDIT: The LTD Deluxe fretboard's abalone lining are truly terrible to look at.....look worse in person as compared to net pics.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by The Red Comet

So all of those guitars i mentioned will sound the same, the just look different? I like the abalone lining, i just dont like how it goes up the fretboard, i like the rest of it though.
and I know I shouldnt be going by the looks of the guitar, but id like something other than the Strat kinda style body.
Last edited by eighttroy19 at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Yup. Most people bash ESP's LTD lineup as bad guitars, but so long as you don't buy the basic 50's, they are pretty solid guitars.
Take the EC. Played an EX when buying my MH. Very difficult to play on your lap.

EDIT: The LTD Deluxe fretboard's abalone lining are truly terrible to look at.....look worse in person as compared to net pics.

Yeah i dont like how it goes up the fretboard, i dont think the vintage black version has that though.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I would also look into some Ibanezes, Jacksons, and Schecters. If you're going used, you may be able to find an ESP or a Prestige Ibanez (RGA since you don't want a trem).

Well i the Jackson DKMGT looks like itll sound pretty close to kirk hammett since it has the EMG 81/81 pickups and is alder/maple like kirks guitars. Im trying to find guitars other than the strat shaped ones though. I wish there were Jackson RR3s w/o tremelo. Unless I can find a RR5 for cheaper, or with EMGs if possible.
Well the strat shape is so common because it works well. They have excellent fret access and the 25.5" scale makes the tone clearer. Just some food for thought. And don't worry about pickups since those are easily changed.
Quote by eighttroy19
So all of those guitars i mentioned will sound the same, the just look different? I like the abalone lining, i just dont like how it goes up the fretboard, i like the rest of it though.
and I know I shouldnt be going by the looks of the guitar, but id like something other than the Strat kinda style body.

ESP's with the same number will sound similar. An EC 401 will sound very similar to an M 401. However an LTD 100 will sound totally different as compared to an LTD 50 or 200. The numers tell you the guitars wood, pups etc.
Try the V400. No trem.
Quote by GS LEAD 5

ESP's with the same number will sound similar. An EC 401 will sound very similar to an M 401. However an LTD 100 will sound totally different as compared to an LTD 50 or 200. The numers tell you the guitars wood, pups etc.
Try the V400. No trem.

Ok, but the 401 will sound like the 1000, just the 1000 has the albalone binding? Because everything else seems the same, or is there any other differences?
Quote by eighttroy19
Ok, but the 401 will sound like the 1000, just the 1000 has the albalone binding? Because everything else seems the same, or is there any other differences?

No they will sound different. The oneK will be built better. Also its flamed maple.
Try out the Will Adler/ Laiho/Latvala signature guitars.
ibanez rgr421exfm 22 frets fixed bridge awsome colours (try and look for red it comes with better pickups)
LTD's get worthwhile from the 400 series and up, as mentioned before. And yes, an EC400 will probably sound just about the same as an MH400.
The 1000's, I'm not entirely sure... I guess LTD markets them as being better than 400's, and on par with lower ESP's, but IIRC they're from the same factory and use much of the same materials. They just say 'Deluxe' and have the abalone binding (which is something I couldn't care less about).
They won't sound very different either, despite one having a flamed/quilted maple top and another doesn't. The tops that are used aren't really thick, so much difference shouldn't be noted.

I'd say, find your nearest ESP/LTD dealer, call them up to see what they have in stock and just go and try them out. Then to the same for an Ibanez dealer, and maybe some Schecters as well. In short, try the hell out of every guitar you can find and see what you like best.

On a different note, I've matched my own Mh400 with various different guitars, ranging from LTD 1k series all the way to prestige Ibanez models and I haven't found an even match yet. I've had it for close to 4 years now, and there's never been anything wrong with it, whatsoever (knock on wood). And yes, the owners of the guitars I compared it with felt the same.
Can't go wrong with a B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe series guitar.
Gear:
LTD M-207 (Soon to be modded)
B.C. Rich Bronze Mockingbird
Jay TurSuhr Vintage Strat
Takamine EG561C
Randall RG50TC

GAS:
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 MN Tribal Green
hey dude
i would say go for the ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 vb , i got one and its like dream guitar. its look like JH iron cross guitar( but for sure JH one look sexier than this lol ) , w/o tremelo. 24 jumbo frets it would be awesome for soloing , hmm the pickups are same as metallica pickups emg 81 and 60 and the factory setup amazing low setup and easy to play . and about the diff between the guitars u mention of course there gonna be loads of different things , u pay more u get best quality and the EC-1000 is less than 1000$ to u can go for it , and one more important thing (( try it before u buy it )) and good luck
goto guitarcenter.com and click the used link. wham... 30,000 used guitars to look at.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
No they will sound different. The oneK will be built better. Also its flamed maple.
Try out the Will Adler/ Laiho/Latvala signature guitars.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC401-Electric-Guitar?sku=580199 The see-thru black EC-401 has a flamed maple top, and thats my favorite one. Do the Flamed Maple tops affect the tone? Because i dont want colored ones so would either get Vintage Black, Black, or White if i got the EC-1000, i wish there was a non-tremelo Flamed Maple EC-1000 in see-thru black, I would get that. But I think the albalone binding on the EC-1000 is a bit too much, especially going up the fretboard.
I just dont want to spend that much for a EC-1000, because im from canada so theyll cost $1100.
Quote by metallica4ever7
hey dude
i would say go for the ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 vb , i got one and its like dream guitar. its look like JH iron cross guitar( but for sure JH one look sexier than this lol ) , w/o tremelo. 24 jumbo frets it would be awesome for soloing , hmm the pickups are same as metallica pickups emg 81 and 60 and the factory setup amazing low setup and easy to play . and about the diff between the guitars u mention of course there gonna be loads of different things , u pay more u get best quality and the EC-1000 is less than 1000$ to u can go for it , and one more important thing (( try it before u buy it )) and good luck

Hows the finish on that? does it show smudges and fingerprints easy, I saw one at a store when I was on vacation and it had lots of smudges, i gues they just didnt clean it. But they dont sell any ESP guitars around here so I cant try them out.
Quote by fullsailstudent
goto guitarcenter.com and click the used link. wham... 30,000 used guitars to look at.

Guitar Center dosnt ship to Canada so I cant look there, but ill look at the used ones on MusiciansFriend.
Do all EC-1000s have Flamed maple tops? Because it dosnt White, Black and Vintage Black models have it. And would this affect the tone? Like would the See-Thru Blue Sound different than the Vintage Black or White?
EDIT:
These are the Differences Ive Found out:

~Top/Finish - Fretboard Wood - Neck Wood - Bridge/Tailpiece - Tuners~
Deluxe EC-1000 (Abalone Binding)
-Vintage Black - Ebony Fretboard - Mohogany Neck - Tone Pros Locking - ESP Locking
-Flamed Maple - Rosewood Fretboard - Mohogany Neck - Tone Pros Locking - ESP Locking
-White or Black - Rosewood Fretboard - Mohogany Neck - Tone Pros Locking - ESP Locking
-Quilted Maple - Rosedwood Fretboard - Mohogany Neck - Tone Pros Locking - ESP Locking

EC-401
-White or Black - Rosewood Fretboard - Mohogany Neck - TOM - Grover
-Flamed Maple - Rosewood Fretboard - Mohogany Neck - TOM - Grover

EX-401
-White or Black - Rosewood Fretboard - Maple Neck - TOM - Grover

How would these differences affect the tone?
Last edited by eighttroy19 at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by eighttroy19
Do all EC-1000s have Flamed maple tops? Because it dosnt White, Black and Vintage Black models have it. And would this affect the tone? Like would the See-Thru Blue Sound different than the Vintage Black or White?
EDIT:
These are the Differences Ive Found out:

~Top/Finish - Fretboard Wood - Neck Wood - Bridge/Tailpiece - Tuners~
Deluxe EC-1000 (Abalone Binding)
-Vintage Black - Ebony Fretboard - Mohogany Neck - Tone Pros Locking - ESP Locking
-Flamed Maple - Rosewood Fretboard - Mohogany Neck - Tone Pros Locking - ESP Locking
-White or Black - Rosewood Fretboard - Mohogany Neck - Tone Pros Locking - ESP Locking
-Quilted Maple - Rosedwood Fretboard - Mohogany Neck - Tone Pros Locking - ESP Locking

EC-401
-White or Black - Rosewood Fretboard - Mohogany Neck - TOM - Grover
-Flamed Maple - Rosewood Fretboard - Mohogany Neck - TOM - Grover

EX-401
-White or Black - Rosewood Fretboard - Maple Neck - TOM - Grover

How would these differences affect the tone?

The top affects the attack. Also the EC-1000 will be better built.
Try out all 3. Get the one you like the most. Y'know the one whih feels best in your hands. The one you sorta "connect" with.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The top affects the attack. Also the EC-1000 will be better built.
Try out all 3. Get the one you like the most. Y'know the one whih feels best in your hands. The one you sorta "connect" with.

I dont have anywhere that has these guitars, and where I live theres only one guitar shop and theres not that many guitars there, no ESPs there. But I think ill go with the EC-1000, The Vintage Black has an Ebony Fretboard then mohogany body/neck like James Hetfield, but it dosnt have the top on it. James has a maple top on his. Is there a differene in sound between Flamed, Quilted and just Regular Maple?

EDIT:
I also just noticed that on See-Thru Blue and White you can reach further down the fretboard than the See-Thru Red and Vintage Black, if you look at the cutaways closely..
Im either gunna get Blue, Red, White or VB.
Last edited by eighttroy19 at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by eighttroy19
^anyone?
I wish there was an EX-1000, the EC is nice to tho.

Try getting a MH or an M oneK.
My guitar teaher has an MH oneK. Great guitar.
Else take the EC. The EX is not very Cimfortale to play on the lap.
Also ^ keyoard damaged.
And dont doule post.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by eighttroy19
I dont have anywhere that has these guitars, and where I live theres only one guitar shop and theres not that many guitars there, no ESPs there. But I think ill go with the EC-1000, The Vintage Black has an Ebony Fretboard then mohogany body/neck like James Hetfield, but it dosnt have the top on it. James has a maple top on his. Is there a differene in sound between Flamed, Quilted and just Regular Maple?

EDIT:
I also just noticed that on See-Thru Blue and White you can reach further down the fretboard than the See-Thru Red and Vintage Black, if you look at the cutaways closely..
Im either gunna get Blue, Red, White or VB.

No differene. Just looks.
You might like the KH 600 or the hetfield Trukster LTD.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by ibrahimasood
Jackson RR5 - great guitar.

Yeah those are pretty awesome to, but i think ill wait for a while, for now I just want a non-tremelo, when I get one with tremelo ill definitly look at the Jackson RR series.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The guy wants to copy Hetfield and Hammet's tone. He'll be better off with a signature guitar.
EDIT: The RR5's are total kikass though....you should try them.

But they are Alder body/Maple neck like Kirks guitars, and with EMGs it should sound pretty close.

Okay, so im pretty fixed on an EC-1000, which color do you think I should get? Blue, Red, Vintage Black or White? I think the VB will get me the closest to Hetfields tone since its the only one with the Ebony Fretboard. But i also like black hardware better, and the VB looks too greyish, but what do you guys think?
If I were you, I think I'd definitely be happy with those ESP's.

I especially like the eclipse series they offer. Kinda like a Les Paul, but without the weight.

I'd also look into some Jacksons. I'm a big fan of their Kelly series, and those things rock.

Also, I'd look into the Zakk Wylde Les Paul stuff too. I like those alot because I'm one of those people who likes wearing 50lbs on their shoulder.

And, if you're a huge Metallica fan and an Avenged 7x fan, you can't go wrong with their signature guitars. ESP and Schecter (owned by the same guy anyway) don't really charge a whole lot more extra for their signatures, and I really like the Kirk Hammet and the James Hetfield signatures. As for the Synyster Gates one, I'm not sure, but it has invaders on it, and I dig those for a thrashy sound. But those all have trems on 'em. I dunno though, I think you might want to try the trem because I think they offer better tuning stability, not to mention awesome effects. I think it's worth an extra 10 minutes for a string change. Not too practical for string breakage, but I always have some backups.

Good luck man.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by JAustinMunn
If I were you, I think I'd definitely be happy with those ESP's.

I especially like the eclipse series they offer. Kinda like a Les Paul, but without the weight.

I'd also look into some Jacksons. I'm a big fan of their Kelly series, and those things rock.

Also, I'd look into the Zakk Wylde Les Paul stuff too. I like those alot because I'm one of those people who likes wearing 50lbs on their shoulder.

And, if you're a huge Metallica fan and an Avenged 7x fan, you can't go wrong with their signature guitars. ESP and Schecter (owned by the same guy anyway) don't really charge a whole lot more extra for their signatures, and I really like the Kirk Hammet and the James Hetfield signatures. As for the Synyster Gates one, I'm not sure, but it has invaders on it, and I dig those for a thrashy sound. But those all have trems on 'em. I dunno though, I think you might want to try the trem because I think they offer better tuning stability, not to mention awesome effects. I think it's worth an extra 10 minutes for a string change. Not too practical for string breakage, but I always have some backups.

Good luck man.

I was think I would wait till later on to get a guitar with a trem, probly a Jackson RR series and then put EMGs in it. Ill look at some schecters to tho, theyre pretty nice.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-ATX-Electric-Guitar?sku=515764

ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=516629

Ibanez RGT6EXFX
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG120-Eletric-Guitar?sku=518870

Jackson DKMGT Dinky
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMGT-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-w-EMGs?sku=520314

Some suggestions from different brands. They all have active pickups, so if that's not what you're looking for, you can try the LTD in Amber Sunburst (comes with Seymour Duncan JB and '59). Although if you do like active pickups I would definetely recommend the Schecter with Blackouts.
Y'all don't say that
Quote by jackblackyeah17
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-ATX-Electric-Guitar?sku=515764

ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=516629

Ibanez RGT6EXFX
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG120-Eletric-Guitar?sku=518870

Jackson DKMGT Dinky
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMGT-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-w-EMGs?sku=520314

Some suggestions from different brands. They all have active pickups, so if that's not what you're looking for, you can try the LTD in Amber Sunburst (comes with Seymour Duncan JB and '59). Although if you do like active pickups I would definetely recommend the Schecter with Blackouts.

Thanks, I think im going with the EC-1000, itll get me the closest to Metallica's tone.
Schecters are amazing guitars for the price. I have a $550 Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe that plays better and looks better than my friend $850 Ibanez.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by eighttroy19
I was think I would wait till later on to get a guitar with a trem, probly a Jackson RR series and then put EMGs in it. Ill look at some schecters to tho, theyre pretty nice.

Personally, I think EMG's are overrated.

They are great if you want a squeaky ass clean tone, but they don't have any soul.

The most notable EMG users have a pretty impressive effects rack. Like Zakk Wylde and Steve Lukather and those guys.

If you've got an impressive effects processor, then I say EMG's are excellent. But for people like me, who choose analog effects pedals to a giant rack of processors, EMG's might not be for you.

Schecters are amazing guitars for the price. I have a $550 Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe that plays better and looks better than my friend $850 Ibanez.

That's probably opinion as well.

In my experience, Schecters have always been decent, but the pickups are usually terrible. Never have I come accross a Schecter thats pickups weren't replaced or should have been.

ESP is pretty solid, but I generally lean toward the same statement. Their stock stuff is alot better than Schecter's (weird, because they're the same company pretty much). I still haven't switched out my stock ESP pickups on my MH-103.

But if you want to go with the EC series, definitely do it. I love that series, but I would go for the Seymour equipped one because of what I said about EMG's. Also, if you're a pro musician, then the possibility of batteries dying is annoying to me. My close friend had one of his die out right in the middle of an important audition without a backup. Things like that, y'know?
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Aug 31, 2009,
ESPs are nice, but check out the Ibanez RG series and Jackson's X series- for around 500 bucks you can get good metal guitars with some nice features
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL