Page 1 of 3
I don't think there is a right answer but maybe you can help to solve this baby.

I got nothing.
my gf and I tried to work it out,
but we got nowhere.

have at it.

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Okay, first Ping sends the rat down to his brother with the message "What time is it?". Then Pong sends one back saying "Time to get a watch".

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
Okay, first Ping sends the rat down to his brother with the message "What time is it?". Then Pong sends one back saying "Time to get a watch".

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

you made me giggle.

Flam·boy·ant

Pong sends a rat with the time every minute for 10 mi nutes. Ping can get his in synch but will be off by the time it takes the rat to cross the bridge.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
If i'm not mistaken the pit > americas health system.

DREAM THEATER

Gear;
Gould LP
Samick strat
Tanglewood strat
Squire 4 string bass
Alto saxophone
Quote by RayToroIsAGod
Pong sends a rat with the time every minute for 10 mi nutes. Ping can get his in synch but will be off by the time it takes the rat to cross the bridge.

that doesn't really solve anything then.

Flam·boy·ant

I don't hear you suggesting anything.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
If i'm not mistaken the pit > americas health system.

DREAM THEATER

Gear;
Gould LP
Samick strat
Tanglewood strat
Squire 4 string bass
Alto saxophone
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

+1
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by RayToroIsAGod

this would work as clearly from the lack of excitement in their lives they could work out the average speed of each mouse and the difference and work out a time difference that would be out only by minutes.
Grooving to the Music

Skydiving Fund: R 50.00/ R 1600.00

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

The Dalai Lama
Quote by RayToroIsAGod
I don't hear you suggesting anything.

yeahhh.
thats true.
I totally have nothing.

I was thinking about sending a rat every second,
with the star time with the first rat,
then the end time with the end rat.
60 rats.
but that doesn't help at all.

Flam·boy·ant

Ping writes the time on his clock and sends it to Pong by rat.
Upon recieving the note, Pong writes the current time on his clock, and sends it back.

This will allow Ping to set his clock to be one rat's journey (uphill?) off of Pong's time. That's the best I could think of.
He could time the time it takes the rat to get across the bridge with the real time, then just add it on to his time. It did not say his clock was slow or fast....it works fine, it just has the wrong time.
assume that the one sending them is letting the other know what's happening and what needs doing. i can't be bothered to go through all of that.

the one with the clock that is right sends rats down at regular intervals, and the one with the clock that is wrong sends rats up each time one gets to him. this way you can work out the ratio of how long it takes to get up against how long it takes to get down. the one with the correct clock then figures out how long it takes for the rat to get down considering the rats that have gone, and the rats that have come, and the ratio, then writes down what the correct time will be by the time the rat gets there.

simple, eh?
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Quote by sashki
Ping writes the time on his clock and sends it to Pong by rat.
Upon recieving the note, Pong writes the current time on his clock, and sends it back.

This will allow Ping to set his clock to be one rat's journey (uphill?) off of Pong's time. That's the best I could think of.

but you dont know the rats travel time, it could take 12 hours one way,
and a minute the other way.

Flam·boy·ant

Ping's clock is not the right time, but as I understand it, it is still running.
So, Ping sends a rat to Pong with the message, 'Send this straight back.' He takes note of the time and is able to find how long it takes a rat to go the round trip.
Then Pong sends the message, 'What time is it?' When he gets the reply, he adds Ping's time to half of the time it took the rat to do the round trip, and he has an almost correct time.
It won't be exact, but the margin of error will only be +/- average time - downhill time.

Not that complicated.
He likes Keats but she's into Yeats - it's a matter of Romance

E-Mistress to UG's Finest Gentleman

Come away, oh human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand;
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
(the one without the correct time) sends a rat with a message to pull the wire between the houses taught and to make a paper cup with the paper.
Once both sides have done this, they can then set the time using paper and wire!

OH YEAH!

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by miss_muso~
Ping's clock is not the right time, but as I understand it, it is still running.
So, Ping sends a rat to Pong with the message, 'Send this straight back.' He takes note of the time and is able to find how long it takes a rat to go the round trip.
Then Pong sends the message, 'What time is it?' When he gets the reply, he adds Ping's time to half of the time it took the rat to do the round trip, and he has an almost correct time.
It won't be exact, but the margin of error will only be +/- average time - downhill time.

Not that complicated.

very good. much simpler than my method.

although.. i guess it would be a whole lot easier to just go down his mountain, then go up the other guys mountain to ask him. they could build another bridge while they're at it.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Quote by miss_muso~

Not that complicated.

But as already mentioned, the rat could take 12 hours to go one way.
The question is, if they're methods of communication are as limited as the riddle suggests, how do they find out their clocks are out of sync in the first place?

The real question is, why the **** does he need a clock if he can't get off the island?
Quote by pangui
The question is, if they're methods of communication are as limited as the riddle suggests, how do they find out their clocks are out of sync in the first place?

i agree with your query.
idk. IDK. IDK.

Flam·boy·ant

Quote by Mr. Rittard
i agree with your query.
idk. IDK. IDK.

Because if your clock were to say 00:00 in the middle of the day. Then you would be a bit concerned as to where the moon had gone.

HMMMM?

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Having agreed on what they're doing beforehand, both Ping and Pong rise before dawn. At the instant the sun can first be seen they send a rat to each other. They both time how long it takes to recieve the other rat. Then each sends the time it took in a message back to the other. Now, they both know the time it takes for a rat to travel each direction. So, Ping can send Pong the time his correct clock reads, and Pong can just add the appropriate travel time to adjust it.

Just as easy as my first attempt, but with little or no margin of error.

Quote by miss_muso~
Having agreed on what they're doing beforehand, both Ping and Pong rise before dawn. At the instant the sun can first be seen they send a rat to each other. They both time how long it takes to recieve the other rat. Then each sends the time it took in a message back to the other. Now, they both know the time it takes for a rat to travel each direction. So, Ping can send Pong the time his correct clock reads, and Pong can just add the appropriate travel time to adjust it.

Just as easy as my first attempt, but with little or no margin of error.

Good lord I think she's got it!
Fill the band with rats and send a request and it will arrive instantaneously based on the crap description at the bottom. SORTED
I was thinking that they could just send the watch ping's to pong on a rat and he'd sync them up there. then send one back...bam perfect sync....

I didn't read the thing of course. i'm just figuring it out from what i read here.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Ping sends a note, it reaches Pong, Pong writes the time, and Ping would have to count the wait time of the rat traveling the rope, add that to the time written on the paper and then he should have the same time as Pong.
Quote by GuiutarGod_92
If I was Ping I would send him the wrong time on purpose. WHO'S THE FAVORITE SON NOW, PONG?!
You got them the wrong way around, I took the liberty of correcting you
Well it just so happens that IT DOESN'T MATTER, PING, because Daddy's not going to climb your oversized LUMP OF ROCK TO GIVE YOU THAT INHERITANCE, and he's not gonna come help his little mummy's boy find a cure for the plague in the fleas on this last rat I sent over before cutting the bridge off.

Quote by X-Boy
Umm let's see...

Ping first sends the time to Pong, which is off by the time taken taken by the rat to get to his house. Then Ping sends a rat to Pong's house who promptly sends it back. Thus Ping knows how long it takes for a round trip. Ping sends this info to Pong. Now Pong sends a rat to Ping's house who promptly writes the time and sends it back.

Pong knows how long it takes the rat for one round trip. When the rat comes to him he looks at the time. This time will differ from the time Ping sent him at the beginning by 1 round trip + a trip from Ping's house to his. Thus since he knows how long it takes for a round trip he can turn back his clock to the correct time.

Except... the time difference will be how long it take to get from Ping's house to his, because the round trip is not actually included in that difference. Either way, Pong still does not know how long the journey just from Ping to him actually takes, so he will still be out of sync by an unknown quantity. Sorry mate

Send a rat up and back every second. When you get the first rat back send 60 more rats, while telling the rats coming back to wait inside. As soon as you have sent the last rat, stop the rats coming inside. Count the rats you have inside and then divide that number by 60. (Here is an example for those who aren't following): You send 60 rats and receive 120 back. 120 divided by 60 is 2, so for every one rat you send, you get two back. That tells you the rats take twice as long to go up as it does to go back down. Then send one rat up and back and time it. Lets say the rat takes 6 minutes to go up and back. You now know that it takes 4 minutes to send a rat up and 2 minutes to get it back. Add 4 minutes to your correct time and voila.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by miss_muso~
You got them the wrong way around, I took the liberty of correcting you
Well it just so happens that IT DOESN'T MATTER, PING, because Daddy's not going to climb your oversized LUMP OF ROCK TO GIVE YOU THAT INHERITANCE, and he's not gonna come help his little mummy's boy find a cure for the plague in the fleas on this last rat I sent over before cutting the bridge off.

No I had it the right way the first time. Ping's clock is off and I'm not giving him the correct time.
Quote by osXtiger
(the one without the correct time) sends a rat with a message to pull the wire between the houses taught and to make a paper cup with the paper.
Once both sides have done this, they can then set the time using paper and wire!

OH YEAH!

Genius.

Although there is no mention of wire in the puzzle, it does state that messages are 'tied' on to a rat's tail, so they must at least have string, which would also work.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 28, 2009,
Ping sends a rat with the time on his clock to Pong, then Pong sends his time back with a rat after the first rat arrives. That way they know how long it took for the rat to get there.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Why the hell are we doing the maths? They're the asians...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Ok, bear with me.
Pong has the right time.

Ping asks Pong to send him the time at exactly 12 o'clock. The journey of the rat from pong to ping is now the distance between their clocks. Now that we can establish that the constant between their clocks is x. This is the time it takes from Pong to Ping. Simple, yeah?

Now, the time at pongs is accurate (timePONG). But the time at pings is the real time + x (timePING).
timePING = timePONG-x

Pong makes a note of the time, and then sends a rat to Ping. Ping immediately sends back a note, and this works out the time it takes to go back and forth. This is x+y. Still pretty simple, yeah? Bear with me..

Now we know the value of x+y. (Well we don't, but they would.)

What we wanna do is find the value of x, so that ping can set his clock x units forward, then he will have the accurate time.

(pong=R
timeW = timeR-x
timeW-x+y = timeR-2x+y
timeW-x = timeR-2x)

Ping sends Pong his time at 12:00, minus the value of x+y that they've figured out. (Remember that (x+y) is a real constant value that they know). Because this value arrives y later than it was written, the y is canceled out. In other words, they wanna know how far off the clocks are, and when pong receives the time that ping sent him, y will have passed on his clock. So that's +y onto his clock. But the value he wrote down was x+y less than what his clock said. So now the value received by pong is x less than the time it says on pings clock! OH. But pings clock was x units slower than pongs! So now the number on this piece of paper will be exactly 2x less than the time shown on pongs(accurate) clock. Which means, he works out the difference between his time, in other words, how many minutes (or even seconds if they were that ocd..) that these times are off.

Half this value.

This value is x.

Oh my god.

Yeah it's confusing and I probably mixed ping and pong up, but I'm pretty sure I've cracked it ^-^;

If anyone finds any mistakes, definitely point them out. But I hope that there aren't any ^-^
Tie the bloody watch to the rats.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

The one with the ****ed clock, sends his watch down on the rats back with a note attached saying " Please set this to the correct time and send it back"

He then does so and the problem is fixed.
I think its time to pack your things lets go,
To a place where we both know,
And dont worry, I'll drive real slow,
Spend some time before we go..
Quote by Kensai
Why the hell are we doing the maths? They're the asians...

I'm asian
Page 1 of 3