I have a America Strat and have pretty much completely rewired the thing from scratch. It is the time again for me to try something new. I have the American Strat Special HSS. I have changed the bucker to an EMG HZ bucker and love the sound. I have purchased the next two pickups that I want to install. I just need some suggestions on switches, caps, and pots.

The current pots I have in the strat are 250k but I am sure I am going to need higher resistance ones. I am not sure to get 500k or 1M. I know the differene between them and what they do but would 1M be too much?

I also have the Fender super switch and S-1 switch installed. They were both a pain in the ass to figure out for wiring but what switch-pickup combos would be good? Such as Pos-1 Bridge, 2 bridge/mid humbucking, 3 full mid bucker... etc. I have heard the neck/bridge full humbucker would be a great combo but I am not sure.

Also what about caps? I have .036µF caps installed but would I need to go to a higher rating? .042µF or .050µF?

BTW I am an electrician so I have pretty much everything at my disposal for test runs. Pretty much open to all suggestions.

I play a lot of different types and genres of music. Anything that sounds good to me at the time such as Clapton, Elvis, The Ting Tings (Hey their songs are catchy), SoaD, SRV, Pink Floyd, Coheed and Cambria, Green Day, and even some classical. So yeah... lemme know.

I forgot to add that I was even thinking of adding a bypass switch for the S-1 and 5-way and wiring in on/off buttons for each pup. Dunno, it sounded good to me.
Quote by wigzwamz
i made my cat give me a blowjob..... it sucked i have giant bite marks on my fap stick .....

I don't know how two girls could have sex... Unless they scissor or something
Last edited by Gonzerelli at Aug 28, 2009,
Well I have a SSS strat. I put in 3 blade-style buckers. Each one is wired to a DPDT on-on-on switch so each pickup can be switched from series/parallel/coil split mode. I wired my middle pickup out of phase from the others. Then on my 5 way, it goes bridge, bridge+neck, neck, middle + neck (out of phase) and middle.

I find I have lots of versatility now. I keep the neck mostly in parallel mode for a full bucker sound, middle and neck in series, for a softer single coil sound without the hum, then with the middle and neck out of phase with each other, I get a really good squeaky bluesy tone.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by GeToChKn at Aug 28, 2009,
That's a pretty good suggestion. I wanted to try to get that neck bridge combo but never talked to anyone that had it on their guitar. I just might try that. What type pots do you have installed?
Quote by wigzwamz
i made my cat give me a blowjob..... it sucked i have giant bite marks on my fap stick .....

I used 500k pots. If you use your 5 way to do what I did, your switching will go bridge, neck and bridge, neck, neck and middle, and middle instead. Not a big deal though, and actually I like that better because I use my neck pickup more than my middle, so the neck position is close to the bridge position.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
YAY! Finished the wiring and testing. I ended up not going with the neck/bridge combo I really didn't like the sound. SO I ended up doing some thing a little different. I ended up taking out the S1 switch (I really never liked it) and installed a switch of my own. It is standard Strat. switching except full humbucker with the switch up and single with the switch down.

Now the question remains... Should I get it refinished or leave it? I like the used look a lot but then again sometime I think it looks a little banged up. If so what type of finish? I still want to move the volume knob a little closer to the 5-way. Also maybe add an independent Bridge tone control.

Work done:

I ended up using 3 CTS 500K pots

Reverted back to a standard 5-way switch,

.047µF Orange Drop Capacitor

Mini on-on switch

Seymoure Duncan JB Jr. in Neck and Mid position

EMG HZ H-1B in the bridge position

I still need to get a new pick guard and pickup cover but that stuff can wait. I love my Strat now. It has so many sounds and can handle almost anything.

Before:

After:

Quote by wigzwamz

Last edited by Gonzerelli at Sep 6, 2009,