Hey Ug.

I'm relaly curious, Why Is It alright that if a Rock band does a cover of a pop song and you know rock it up and every one is like yeah that was cool!

But If a pop band/artist does a cover of a rock song all the metalheads/rock fans get all annoyed?

I mean, I heard Shakira's version of Back in Black, and it was thaaaaat bad, I mean if pop bands/artists do more pop covers then the rock bands would get more promotion.

Yeah, I know it's not as good as the original. And yeha It's not cool If some one like Zack Effron (or how ever you spell him) does a cover of Metallica (I hope he will never do that) but it's good promotion to the rock bands, for all the non rock fans.

sorry about my bad English It's not my first language.

Anyways stay cool
well the way that i think is that maybe the rock band has more skills to make the pop song sound decent and the pop act just ruins the song. kind of like when bodom covers ridiculous songs.
^ And yet again, someone who is to ignorant to realise a lot of musicians who play pop are session musicians, often musicians who could play anything Alexi plays in their sleep.
usually the rock genre requires more skill than pop, so when a rock band covers a pop song, it'll probably sound good(depending on the band and song). but when it goes the other way around, the pop artists aren't good enough to do it, again depending on the song.
gear:
jackson kelly w/EMG 81's
fernandes revolver pro w/ seymour duncan and bare knuckle
ltd m-100fm w/ swineshead x-buckers
ltd kh-202 w/ EMG x-series 60 and 81
crate flexwave 120 combo amp
B.C. Rich JRV7 7-string(in the mail)
Quote by HorsemanOfDeath
usually the rock genre requires more skill than pop, so when a rock band covers a pop song, it'll probably sound good(depending on the band and song). but when it goes the other way around, the pop artists aren't good enough to do it, again depending on the song.

Not really, as regression said, all pop acts use session musicians, who could probably pull of a lot of things in all genres, just pop doesn't require insane skills, just the basics, mainly the vocals and the piano/keyboard/synth and bass are the main parts.

Madonna done Pantera, needless to say, it did suck however.
Pop acts cant pull off rock songs because they sound bad when they do it. It just does.

Britney Spears - I love Rock and Roll
Fall Out Boy - Walk
Jonas Brothers - Superstition

need I say more?
Quote by PDJS
Well here in Sweden we have Timo Räisänen. He is an Indie/Pop rocker that did a cover of
In flames - The Mirror Truth.

Here is how he sounds like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DJfDyzbqoc

And here is the cover - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lfx1xQ_1IM

That was better than the original.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.