was just gonna wonder since i just got a laptop and im kinda wanting to dabble a little with recording to pass the time am i able to run my bass into my amp, then output through the headphone line into the mic in the laptop it doesnt have a DI like my old computer which recently just died totally and it was gonna cost as much to replace the mobo and all that.

Anyway just out of curiosity is it possible im not to bothered bout quality and just want to mess around with it :P

thanks for any help posted in the topic i was unsure in the FAQ's so i thought i would post a new topic as i felt it was the next most sensible idea.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I don't see why you couldnt but im also not sure if running too much current into your sound card is dangerous or not. may fry it.
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
just run your bass into the sound card and skip the amp part to be on the safe side. you can replicate some pretty cool vintage amp with Garage Band. that is if you have a mac and iLife.
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
If you run windows on your laptop

www.acmebargig.com and locate BIG, direct inject your bass into your computer with a 1/4" to 1/8" converter.

BIG is a realyl good bass amps and ban soundcards always have problem with hi-gain, so bass will mabe work.
The mic in's gonna sound crap, it'd be better if you had a line in (of course laptops aren't famous for connectivity still struggling with 2 USB ports...). But you'll get a sound.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.