Hey everyone,

I'm new here and very new to the guitar world (been teaching myself acoustic for few months), but I'm not new to music, been a drummer for 20 plus years...so I'm old to start this carry on. Anyway I have some stupid questions for you all.

I have just bought a Squier Affinity Strat' and now I need to gear that puppy up. I'll need an amp', cable, i'll get headphones for everyone elses benefit. Do I need or should i get a pedal thingie?

I won't be performing any time this decade so just a small amp i think should do, but what should I get, or possibly more importantly, NOT get. I hear words like reverb and **** but really don't understand. Then there's effect pedals, WTF, can't I just plug in and off I go?

As I have bought the guitar 2nd hand (it's in great shape) I have maybe about NZ$300 for the rest of the gear, including a strap.

Really any tips that a retarded newbie like me can understand would be a huge help.

Thanks for any replies,
Till then I'll keep dredging through UG sucking up all the info

Cheers
Steve
I'm not really that knowledgeable with amps, Although i have seen and liked the Blackstar HT-5.

As for the pedals, you don't need one to be able to play through an amp, you can just plug in and go.
As the name implies, effects pedals are for adding effects to your guitar sound.
My advise just buy a model amp. so you have the effects that the pedal have(not that you're gonna use them when you are learning).

And which amp depends on your choice of music.
Vox Valvetronix for good rock/hard rock,BLUES, clean songs
Peavey Vypyr for Metal
And Roland Cube for allround.

And posting an amp question in the electric guitar section is wrong. But since your new it's not that bad.

Welcome to the forum
Yeah, you don't need to worry about a great amp or any pedals yet.
Just decent starter amp is good.

Get the feel of the guitar, and learn to play a couple songs and some scales.
Then you're ready to start shaping your sound with a real amp and some pedals.

That said, DON'T let a guitar shop salesman talk you into getting a Line6 Spider....

Try a Peavey Vyper.
On your budget, you could get either a 15 Watt or 30 Watt.

15 Watts is going to be about half your budget, so you can get other accesories.
30 Watts will take your whole budget..But if you can stretch your budget just a little, it would be worth it..

Welcome to the world of guitars.
And learn this term well - GAS = Gear Aquisition Syndrome

Electric Guitar is a VERY expensive hobby. Hope you have an understanding spouse...

Have fun and Rock On.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by Antis0cial

And Roland Cube for allround.

And posting an amp question in the electric guitar section is wrong. But since your new it's not that bad.

Welcome to the forum

Oh **** sorry dude, maybe the mods can move this thread. Looked at a 2W Cube today, i think it might just do the job for me, small sound but lots of effects, only $229 i think too, so enough coin left over for other stuff I need.

Cheers for all the help guys, I'm sure I'll be back asking more stupid questions soon (hopefully in right section)
Steve
Quote by jonmo1

That said, DON'T let a guitar shop salesman talk you into getting a Line6 Spider....

i wish someone told me that great advice before i went shopping for an amp
Here's what you need to know:

1) Electric Guitar is an expensive hobby, just like Drums, so be prepared to spend.

2) You dont need pedals to jam, although you cannot achieve certain sounds, known as effects without them. In other words, pedals are just tools that spice up your guitar sound. However, there are amps with effects built into them, like the roland cube.

3) The may amps to avoid are the Line6 Spider III series and Marshall MG series. They arent worth the cash and they dont sound that good as other amps in these price range. If you dont believe me, feel free to use the under-used searchbar in the top right hand corner of your screen and search "Marshall MG" or "Spider III" for a barrage of reasons of why they arent too good.

4) Amps that are recommended by us UGers. Yes, I do have my personal recommendations, like Roland Cube 15x, or Ibanez Toneblaster 25, but here's a little extract from one of Dave_Mc's threads:

"$0 - $150 (~£95, 110&euro

First off, you probably WON?T get an amazing amp at this price range. However, if you’e lucky you’l be able to get a decent practice amp that will suffice until you’e able to get a “real” amp.

Lower Gain

Vox Pathfinder* (1 channel with boost) (Euro, C): I have one of these. Nice (AC30ish) cleans, nice classic rock crunch, not so good higher gain- harsh, and no real sustain. It does a sort of Lenny Kravitz-esque sound with the gain above 2/3 like in "fly away" and "are you gonna go my way", if you're into that, very harsh and fuzzy. Good value.

High Gain

Roland Cube 15/20/Roland Microcube (1 channel) (USA, C): I recommend saving for the Cube 30, since the Cube 15 and 20 have no (or very few) amp models, but you could do a lot worse for the price. The Microcube would be good for strictly practice purposes (it’s only 2W), but has built-in fx and amp models- really good for practice. In most cases, the Microcube is therefore better than the Cube 15/20, as they all are not loud enough for e.g. band use, but the Microcube is best for home practice. In general, Cubes are also really compact (Thanks to jj1565 (Jenny) for this info)

Peavey Vypyr (USA, C): If you don’t have the cash for a Cube 30, but want amp modelling nevertheless, this is a good choice. Not so great for lower gain imo, but does metal well.

Washburn BD15 (according to gpderek09) (USA, C): Not great cleans, but for high gain on a (very cheap) budget, it rocks.

Ones to avoid:

Marshall MG (crappy cleans, worse overdrive, unreliable), Fender Front man (the 25R has nice cleans, but unreliable electronics, and muddy distortion), Behringer (poor quality), anything priced too low (all those no-name ones!). (again, thanks to Jenny for the Fender and Behringer info here!)

$150 - $400 (~£95 - £250, 110€ - 285&euro

Now you should be moving into quality practice amps- if you spend this amount of money, you shouldn?t need to buy a better practice amp, ever. Unless you want something like a Cornford Carrera .

Lower Gain:

Epiphone Valve Junior/Special, Vox AC4 (both 1 channel) (USA, H/C). Both are especially nice when using an overdrive pedal. I wouldn’t recommend using the Valve Junior for clean tones unless you have a single coil guitar. It's best to get the latest version of the VJ (version 3), because some technical problems have been eliminated with this version. It's usually no prob when buying new, as pretty much all VJs in stores by now are the version 3, but if you get a used one, watch out.

Fender Champ 600 (1 channel) (USA, C): If you want Fender cleans at a low budget and tubes. Tiny speaker, not enough volume to play with a band, but it's small, portable and has nice cleans.

Mid Gain:

Vox Valvetronix VT15/VT30 (2/3 channel) (Euro, C): good range of tones - can get into metal territory too, but is supposed to excel at rock tones.

Blackheart Killer Ant BH1 (H) + Blackheart BH112 cabinet (USA): Good “British” rock tones, but only for home practice and recording, since it only has 1 watt of power. It’s nice to have a cab already when upgrading to a different head at some point.

Blackheart Little Giant BH5 (1 channel) (Euro, C): If the Killer Ant is too small for you. The Little Giant can even be used for band practice at full tilt, don’t expect clean tones from it at such volumes though.

Peavey Valveking Royal 8 (USA, C): Not as middy and "British" as a Valve Junior, but not as bright as a Champ 600 either - good if you need both, good cleans and nice drive.

Fender Vibro Champ XD/Super Champ XD (several channels, not footswitchable) (USA, C): Solid state preamp with analogue modelling, tube power amp with either 5w (Vibro) or 15w (Super) of power. Haven't tried them myself, but they are supposed to be very nice and have lots of good amp models of Fenders. Built in effects, too.

High Gain:

Roland Cube 30/60 (2 channel) (USA, C): Good high gain models, possibly slightly harsh cleans and rock tones. Uses boss non-latching footswitch (according to mnbaseball91)

Peavey Bandit (2 channel) (USA, C): Good range and quality of tones for a solid state amp. Not a modeller, though.

B52 AT112 (2 channel) (USA, C): No personal experience, but is supposed to be a good heavy rock and metal tube amp on a budget, in the US, anyway.

Blackstar HT-5 (2 channel) (USA, H/C): 5w tube amp for anything up to heavy rock. Great distortion for it’s price.

Ibanez Valbee (2 channel) (Euro, C): 5w like the Blackstar, but smaller, with a tiny 6.5” speaker and therefore does not have much low end. Not loud enough for band use, but a great rock amp for home use.

Ones to avoid:
Marshall MG (as before- but add in “crappy fx” too!), Line 6 Spider III (sounds digital)."

Of course not everything here is in your price range, but most of them should be. If you wanna read up more on amps/cabs/fx/pedals, feel free to read the full thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232

5) Buy a tuner if you dont have one yet. It is a must have for beginners to sound in tune and good.

6) Any decent cable will do, just make sure it isnt one of those $2 cables that would spoil within a few weeks. An example of a decent cable would be Planet Waves.

7) Try to avoid buy those 2W micro battery operated amps (except the mirocube/RX), they just dont sound too good but they are portable. Go for 10-15w if you want small. An example would be this, a Marshall MS-4, looks cool but itsnt that good:

Thats bout it. Hope this helps and welcome to UG mate!
Last edited by GuitarGuy X at Aug 29, 2009,
Peavy vypyr 15 or 30w, will give you (almost) all the effects you'll ever need.
I recommend the Vox Valvetronix VT 15/30. Best money I ever spent. I live in NZ to, and I think I got it for around your budget, just shop around in a few stores.
Very versatile, from clean to heavy distortion, and everything in between. Not so good for anything to extreme like Death Metal (I want to play a few songs from this genre, but a guitar with single coils and this amp doesnt quite cut it) but it will give some great usable tones. Even with single coils on a Squier I can get a decent Metallica tone. Lot's of effects and stuff to play around with, a little confusing at first though.
i'd suggest maybe getting a Peavy, Squier or vox they're good amps but i would also suggest that going to guitar shops and maybe asking for advice on beginner's amps I myself have only been playing a few months but i find that asking and trying in shops helps (sorry if this is not the greatest advice in the world)
Quote by GuitarGuy X
6) Any decent cable will do, just make sure it isnt one of those $2 cables that would spoil within a few weeks. An example of a decent cable would be Planet Waves.

Cables might seem like a minor point, but in my somewhat limited experience GuitarGuy is absolutely spot on here. Having killed two cheap cables in a matter of weeks (ran over with chair, tripped over them, trod on them), and subsequently had the same two decent ones for over a year with no problems despite endless abuse, I'd definately recommend shelling out on something a bit more butch to start with. You'll save money on the petrol alone from the trips to the local music shop when you break the flippin' things...
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.