so, im looking at a couple of ibanez guiars for my 18th, the rg350 and the S320. iv checked out some reviews and they both seem like awsome guitars, especially for the money.

but the delema is- the rg has 24 frets which i want but the tremolo has such a bad reputation.

the s series guitar only has 22 frets but has a tremolo with a much better reputation, and i hear it makes the guitar must more versatile.

i play metal, mostly thrash, and shred and currently use a roland cube 20X.

basically my question is do i go for the extra frets or the tremolo.

here are some pictures:

http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/eg/products/S320WK.gif

http://rattana.org/coe9/mambo/webboard/uploads/post-2-1230745553.gif
you could always buy the rg and replace the trem.
1997 Ibanez RG7620
Modded Starcaster by Fender

Boss GT10
Dunlop Mister Crybaby Wah

Line 6 Spider III 30
uhm.... ever thought of going to a shop and playing both of 'em?
who cares about the specs if the guitar doesn't fit your playing?
Quote by jkielq91
so, im looking at a couple of ibanez guiars for my 18th, the rg350 and the S320. iv checked out some reviews and they both seem like awsome guitars, especially for the money.

but the delema is- the rg has 24 frets which i want but the tremolo has such a bad reputation.

the s series guitar only has 22 frets but has a tremolo with a much better reputation, and i hear it makes the guitar must more versatile.

i play metal, mostly thrash, and shred and currently use a roland cube 20X.

basically my question is do i go for the extra frets or the tremolo.

here are some pictures:

http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/eg/products/S320WK.gif

http://rattana.org/coe9/mambo/webboard/uploads/post-2-1230745553.gif

Go for the tremolo one... the other is just fugly... and tremolo is more important than frets IMO
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by iceman45
you could always buy the rg and replace the trem.

it's not as easy as it sounds.
the rg has an edge III which is a lot smaller than the zr. any questions?
Quote by jesus3000
uhm.... ever thought of going to a shop and playing both of 'em?
who cares about the specs if the guitar doesn't fit your playing?

i will try before i buy but i may have to order in. both guitars have the same neck, pic ups and are almost the same shape. the bridge and frets are the only major difference.
Hands down I would go for the S.....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Quote by jkielq91
i will try before i buy but i may have to order in. both guitars have the same neck, pic ups and are almost the same shape. the bridge and frets are the only major difference.
Have you spoken to the shop? If its a decent sized shop they should be able to get one of each in for you to try, with no committment on your part.
I have an S320. Honestly there's no need for 24 frets. I used to have a 24 fret guitar, wishing I had a tremolo, so I sold it and got an S320. Plays great and it never goes out of tune.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Quote by zhilla
Have you spoken to the shop? If its a decent sized shop they should be able to get one of each in for you to try, with no committment on your part.

oh they all ready have a few rg's in, im jus not sure iv seen the s. im just not one for the hasle of order the s and prefering the rg.
They're also tonally different. The RG is basswood and the S is mahogany. I've only played Prestiges so I don't know how it affects the lower end of the spectrum. But that should probably be a huge deciding factor. In the ones I've tried, the RG doesn't have any characteristics that describe 90% of other guitars (warmth, brightness, etc.). The S didn't sound like any mahogany guitar I've ever played before. They're both great, but you need to actually play them to understand what makes them good and which to pick. It goes further than the number of frets and which trem you get. I personally like the RG a lot more than the S (tone and look).
Quote by JELIFISH19
They're also tonally different. The RG is basswood and the S is mahogany. I've only played Prestiges so I don't know how it affects the lower end of the spectrum. But that should probably be a huge deciding factor. In the ones I've tried, the RG doesn't have any characteristics that describe 90% of other guitars (warmth, brightness, etc.). The S didn't sound like any mahogany guitar I've ever played before. They're both great, but you need to actually play them to understand what makes them good and which to pick. It goes further than the number of frets and which trem you get. I personally like the RG a lot more than the S (tone and look).

cheers, good tips
I'd personally go for the S series. Especially as the ZR trem is brilliant!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
i own the s, its awesome. very lightweight, great trem, never had any issues with it and it sounds great. like someone else mentioned, i wanted one at first with 24 frets but am glad i didnt go that route. think about it, how often do you play 23 and 24 anyways?
Quote by cantcme2
i own the s, its awesome. very lightweight, great trem, never had any issues with it and it sounds great. like someone else mentioned, i wanted one at first with 24 frets but am glad i didnt go that route. think about it, how often do you play 23 and 24 anyways?

cool cool

iv just watched this and its made me a bit cautious of the tremolo, what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOZtQT5TPYw
Last edited by jkielq91 at Aug 28, 2009,
im sure you could find 3x as many complaints about the edge 3. ive never had issues with the zr trem
I have the RG and I prefer them over the S series guitars. The RG does have the Edge III but it gets a bad rap. I have not a had a single issue with mine in the 2 years I have had it and I use it ALOT. The necks on the RG are freaking awesome...fav neck ever.

Now the S series does have the ZR trem which is awesome, but thats the only plus side I see.

24 frets IMO is a must....I just won't buy a guitar unless it has 24. Some may not use them much but I use all my frets every single day.

So the choice is yours.....good luck.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
My son has an rg 350ex and that guitar has great sound capabilties and the trem is just fine, go over to youtube and check out ttubeheadd, click on joe satriani´s extremist , he´s using the rg 350 on that song and the sound is pretty good. As far as the S series Ibanez they are also nice guitars but I prefer RG´s over them anyday.
After owning that exact RG350 (the DX one) I would without a doubt go for the S320. Sure, the RG350 plays great, and the tremolo works for about... 6 months, then it will crash and burn bigtime (that saying i took great care of it!). Dropped out of tune EVERY time i used the whammybar after 6 months of excessive playing.

You should though go to a store and try them both out... But I'd choose the S320 with out hesitation.
Gear:

Eastone ST-1
Jackson RR3 Limited Edition
Kustom Arrow 16
Line 6 POD X3 Live
The Box MA-120 MK-II
Quote by Psykopaten123
After owning that exact RG350 (the DX one) I would without a doubt go for the S320. Sure, the RG350 plays great, and the tremolo works for about... 6 months, then it will crash and burn bigtime (that saying i took great care of it!). Dropped out of tune EVERY time i used the whammybar after 6 months of excessive playing.

You should though go to a store and try them both out... But I'd choose the S320 with out hesitation.

If your bridge did that then you didn't have it set up right. As stated before I have had mine for over 2 years now and it never goes out of tune and I have never had a problem with it.

Also, if it was messin gup that bad you should have contacted Ibanez to fix the "problem" in which they would reply, have you taken it somewhere to get set up or do you know how to set it up properly?

Its not the guitars fault that people don't know what they are doing with them. I blame the user not the equipment.

And since you say you took great care of it....what do you mean by that?
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
If your bridge did that then you didn't have it set up right. As stated before I have had mine for over 2 years now and it never goes out of tune and I have never had a problem with it.

Also, if it was messin gup that bad you should have contacted Ibanez to fix the "problem" in which they would reply, have you taken it somewhere to get set up or do you know how to set it up properly?

Its not the guitars fault that people don't know what they are doing with them. I blame the user not the equipment.

And since you say you took great care of it....what do you mean by that?

You are correct, most people here dont have a clue as how a guitar should be set up and mess around with things they know nothing about till it´s broken then blame it on their gear saying it sucks when we know it´s them that sucks.
Ever think about going used?

You can find some amazing deals on RG's with LoPro's or Original Edge's for the price of a new RG350 or S320
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
i`d go for the 22 frets `cos you can easily pull up 2 semi tones(D to E) and your suppose to be able to get 7 semitones so event if you needed a 26th fret note (F#) off a 24th(E) bend on a 22 fret guitar(D) you can still do it, i wouldn`t recommend pulling up more than 4 semitones though...(notes are referrenced to a E string)
Would you buy a guitar from a different brand than Ibanez?
Also:
Budget?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
OK, better you stick to Ibanez S-Series at that budget. At your pricerange there aren't many good locking tremolo system. The ZR is supposed to be good.
But if you like the RG, better save up money till you can afford a guitar with 24 frets and OFR.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
OK, better you stick to Ibanez S-Series at that budget. At your pricerange there aren't many good locking tremolo system. The ZR is supposed to be good.
But if you like the RG, better save up money till you can afford a guitar with 24 frets and OFR.

im not set on a tremolo, i dont mind having a fixed bridge. i just want to best guitar i can get for the money and a tremolo would be nice .
Quote by jkielq91
im not set on a tremolo, i dont mind having a fixed bridge. i just want to best guitar i can get for the money and a tremolo would be nice .

Than just look around a bit, try out many guitars in your pricerange and buy one you like.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Dude, I have an S520, it blows my mind.

The ZR tremolo is ****ing amazing. Excellent design makes for ease of use, and it never goes out of tune EVER. Trust me, you don't want the hassle of a terrible bridge. The body shape also makes the guitar incredibly comfortable.

Get the S series all the way. Then save and eventually replace the stock pickups, and you're set.
If you're too cheap to have your guitar setup by someone who's reliable then you should go with the S. The ZR is a wicked tremolo. Its only problem is the guitar its in.

To the guy who said Satriani was playing an RG350DX in the Extremist: lol, that's one of his JS guitars.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by SomebodySomeone
Ever think about going used?

You can find some amazing deals on RG's with LoPro's or Original Edge's for the price of a new RG350 or S320

That's what I was going to say

TS, you could grab a used RG550
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
TS, you could grab a used RG550

+ 1,000,000

go used and make yourself a happy man. the original edge is my favorite trem bridge of all time. if you REALLY want the 350, an edge pro is a direct replacement for the edge III. but you can't beat an old RG550 or 570.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by ch0
If you're too cheap to have your guitar setup by someone who's reliable then you should go with the S. The ZR is a wicked tremolo. Its only problem is the guitar its in.

To the guy who said Satriani was playing an RG350DX in the Extremist: lol, that's one of his JS guitars.

I did not say Satiani was playing an rg, the kid in this video is using an rg350 playing a cover from Satriani.
Quote by ch0

id prefer it if you used the words cant afford to, not if your to cheap lol