Ive decided i need a slightly overdriven clean sound for my band and my marshall TSL601 combo amp isnt much good at this. I was thinking about getting a great sounding clean amp like a hot rod deville or deluxe and running a tube screamer through the clean channel. Would this create the desired effect? Also, is the tube screamer effective when the amp is at lower volumes or when the amp is pushed? Any alternative suggestions? Many thanks.
A tube screamer would work fine. Just run it in front of the amps clean channel. Increase gain for more grit, increase level for more boost. Many good ODs out there. It will be effective at any volume.
WTLTL 2011
I love my TS. I use it to get a good blues/classic rock sound out of my one channel tube amp when I can't turn it up.
Thats great thanks. Ive also heard of an amp booster box. I take it this enables you to play at lower volumes while getting the valves to "sing". Is this similar to the tube screamer?
Quote by anderson80
Thats great thanks. Ive also heard of an amp booster box. I take it this enables you to play at lower volumes while getting the valves to "sing". Is this similar to the tube screamer?

I think you are refering to an attenuator here...
No reason to get a new amp (unless you really want to). Just play with an overdrive pedal through your clean channel with the gain on your amp down around 2. But I'd go with an OCD instead of a Tubescreamer if you can. It's more transparent and thus better for a warmer clean tone. I'll be swapping my ts for an ocd as soon as I get around to it.

Although, I do agree that the crunch and lead channels on the TSL601 are pretty worthless. I haven't used mine in more than a year...so, if you want a good clean amp - and you can afford one, go for it. You can still get a good overdriven sound.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I think you are refering to an attenuator here...

yes.
Might I suggest getting a cmatmod signa drive if you wanna be a little bit different. Its got a 3 way voicing switch, with the down position being like a TS, the middle position is its own thing, and the up position is very open and gives the notes a bit of pop. I've had it for over a week now and I love the thing, gets me blues and classic rock in a heart beat. Very easy to dial in all sorts of cool tones. plus its cheap to boot, and hand built by Chad, the owner of the website, who is a standup guy and one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Hot Rod Devilles are fantastic amps, I'd definitely look into one.

You should pick what kind of tone you want, because while Tubescreamers are cool for overdriven riffs and lead tones, they also have a huge mid-hump and I never found them too usable for general rhythm stuff.