Hey guys.

just interested what the best les paul model today is.

thanks.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
by best you mean most expensive or most desirable or best sound and playability? and by today you mean new production models only or like whats the greatest of all time?
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
i hear that robot one is tight. the one that tunes itself.
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
yeah someone dumped it off at guitar center they are selling it used for $1000. it was $2500 new like a year ago. lol
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Quote by fullsailstudent
by best you mean most expensive or most desirable or best sound and playability? and by today you mean new production models only or like whats the greatest of all time?

Well i mean best sound and playability.

How about the best one ever and the best one in production now?
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by SOADriff
Well i mean best sound and playability.

How about the best one ever and the best one in production now?

Let me ask you, who was the best president of the USA? Who's been the greatest race-car driver? Baseball player?

You figure out the point yourself.
most people will probably agree that the original 59 with PAF (patent applied for pickups) is the best for sound and feel. keep in mind is almost impossible for an instrument that old to play like its brand new. the reissue 59 vos is nice. so is the 60. 60 has the thinnest neck. your better off throwing loller pickups in it. he makes the best PAF replica on the planet.

theres your answer
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Quote by Y00p
Let me ask you, who was the best president of the USA? Who's been the greatest race-car driver? Baseball player?

You figure out the point yourself.

Im asking because there is like 50 in production atm..
Quote by Mad Marius
no offense but thats a pretty ****ty question

The Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Access (with contours and a floyd) are the two 'standard production' models made by the Custom shop so they would probably be the best out of that category.

However there are hundreds of limited and rare models pumped out by the custom shop that are all even more amazing and it impossible to highlight one out of all of them.
I think the 1958 Standard from the Gibson Customshop's extremely satisfactory sound-wise. As everyone knows, however, you can't walk into a music store and know, just by looking, which guitar's the best.

I've fallen completely in love with the Les Paul Traditional, though, which has something to do with the '57 Classic pickups they put on them. Gotta love the '57 Classic.
Obviously the Jeff Beck model. It's that expensive after all.

But seriously, there is no way you can tell how playable a guitar is without actually playing it.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
yeah the 57 classic pickups are nice but there nothing like the real 57 PAF. play something with PAF's and then pickup a traditional. yeah what a let down. although I think its cool that they have a new pickup they are pushing on everyone. as for the les paul access, that guitar should have come out in the 80's. WTF is gibson thinking. no one is going to buy that now when they get a better guitar for the money. I dont see metal heads being gibson fan boys anyway so a conversion is unlikely.
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
None of them. olololol

On a serious note, the best thing is to walk into a shop and play them. Whichever one is best is the one you get [and buy that EXACT guitar, not another of the same model, but the VERY one you've played].
Also check out Agile.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I personally like the BFG. The unfinished neck felt better than the gloss ones. The P-90 in the neck was also great. I also like the look of it. It doesn't look pretty, but it's a "strictly business" guitar. Everything about it says it's meant to be played. I felt that it sounded better than the Les Paul Standards and Traditionals. Maybe it's because of the unfinished body. But there are also the Les Paul Customs. But I would take a BFG over a custom if I liked Les Pauls. I would get a different one if I wanted a Les Paul just for the hell of it.
ahhh yes words of wisdom. they are all different. you gotta play ten guitars in the same store to find a good one. two of the same model will be very different in fact. like maybe this one has more glue in the neck pocket. or that one has better woods by your good luck. you'll know what I mean when it happens to you. dont ever sell a guitar that has that magic. not after you worked so hard to find it.
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Quote by fullsailstudent
yeah the 57 classic pickups are nice but there nothing like the real 57 PAF. play something with PAF's and then pickup a traditional. yeah what a let down. although I think its cool that they have a new pickup they are pushing on everyone. as for the les paul access, that guitar should have come out in the 80's. WTF is gibson thinking. no one is going to buy that now when they get a better guitar for the money. I dont see metal heads being gibson fan boys anyway so a conversion is unlikely.

actually the access is one of Gibsons most popular selling custom shop models, kinda obvious by the fact that its in permanent production.

Having a floyd doesnt make it for just for metal, many people like the contours and the improved cutaways.
Neal Schon of Journey uses Les Pauls with Floyd Roses. I wouldn't call Journey a metal band at all.
I can't afford the real Les Pauls of the 50's.. Not in Norway at least, since... Well let's just say I don't have a hundred thousand dollars to spend on a guitar.
anyone that is before 2005 I would say.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Well...

The 1959 historic is technically the best of their line, as it is the most selective in it's woods and uses the most lightweight and resonant mahogany, not not everyone is going to like how it plays. There was a picture floating around the LPF a while back where it showed how Gibson sorts it's woods for all the various historic models and the most lightweight always went in the bin for the '59 historics, and I believe the heaviest always went into the bin for the '57 historics. In my opinion, the best les paul that Gibson has out (though idk if it's still being sold by Gibson) is the 2005 CA Page model, basically same guitar as the '59 historic but has a special neck profile which is just amazing to play.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 28, 2009,
Widow burst. Good luck finding one, the're only making 25 of them.

Gibbons Pearly Gates would be another candidate.

But probably the '59 or some other custom shop job. Depends on what neck profile and pup choice you want really.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I personally like the BFG. The unfinished neck felt better than the gloss ones. The P-90 in the neck was also great. I also like the look of it. It doesn't look pretty, but it's a "strictly business" guitar. Everything about it says it's meant to be played. I felt that it sounded better than the Les Paul Standards and Traditionals. Maybe it's because of the unfinished body. But there are also the Les Paul Customs. But I would take a BFG over a custom if I liked Les Pauls. I would get a different one if I wanted a Les Paul just for the hell of it.

hell yeah! i love my BFG. they aren't in production at the moment, but you can find them on Ebay like new. great pickup combos, pretty much perfect to me.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Of the new models, I personally think the Traditional Plus is the "best" all around. It has a good solid piece of wood that is only weight relieved and not chambered like the Standard...it's $400 cheaper than the standard and over $1000 cheaper than a Custom, the 57 classic pickups are extremely versatile, and it gets Plek'd. Say what you will about the Plek system, but I tried about 8 different LP's that were pleked and the fretwork and nut were flawless on all of them. 8 different guitars, all setup slightly different, but I didnt hear the slightest hint of buzz in any of them. The only thing that annoys me about the Plek system is they advertise it like its a feature that warrants a greater price, but the truth is (even though it does a great job) it also speeds up manufacturing by hours if not days of fretwork by hand. In other words, Plekd guitars are getting less labor than non plekd guitars yet no price reduction.

Oh well though, I watched an overview video on the Plek system and supposedly they are ramping up the shop to plek every Gibson no matter the price. Think they'll pass the labor savings onto the customer?
Every single gibson lp is gonna be different with then being handmade, but the 2008 lp standards are really nice, and the gibson darkfire robots pretty cool
Quote by daytripper75
This man speaks the truth.
Quote by ghandi andy
Every single gibson lp is gonna be different with then being handmade, but the 2008 lp standards are really nice, and the gibson darkfire robots pretty cool
Handmade is not really the best word to describe them

or like... hand assembled...
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 28, 2009,
i suppose, but one les paul will sound different to another, so "the best" les paul available today could be a bummer if you get unlucky or dont try it out
Quote by daytripper75
This man speaks the truth.
yep you're definitely right. dunno why les pauls are so finicky in sound, but for some reason they just are.
I'd say the LP Supreme Figured looks like the best to me.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate