how can i prevent the unwanted strings making noise while i am Tapping while string skipping?

i.e the sea of lies tapping part
Some people have hair bobbles on the nut of their guitar to stop unwanted string noise. But I don't know whether this affects open notes, as I haven't tried it.

Otherwise, muting everything with your right hand.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
I always recommend people who are recording putting some type of tissue(a cloth or something) under your strings at first fret. This wil mute out unwanted noise, but you can't play open
Using tissue/hair bobbles/rubberbands/foreskins etc to mute the strings is all well and good, but I'd argue that learning to play without them will make you a better player in the long run.

So get your metrome and set it to a time you are comfortable with, then practice at that speed until your strings don't give you any unwanted noise.

Raise the speed

practice until you don't hear unwanted noise

etc etc until you get up to full speed.

Muting is an important technique in playing guitar, look at what you are playing and work out how you can mute the strings you don't need. Sometimes this is your right hand, sometimes your left, more than often you can use both.

I believe Freepower has made a video on muting techniques so you might want to track his profile down and take a look.
Quote by 2mins2midnite
Thanks guys.
I wont use the bobble/tissue method - thats cheating!

Indeed it is, but when you're recording and you have limited time, it's a great quick fix
Quote by 2mins2midnite
Thanks guys.

Not necessarily. As Freepower once said, this is music, not sports. Do I use this method in my regular playing? Nah, I don't need to.

Would I use it for recording to prevent an obnoxiously random open string from ruining a particularly well-executed run? Yes.

List of players who I know for a fact use it: Petrucci, Howe, A.J. Minette (when he was with THA), Misha Mansoor, etc.

...newbie players should not use this method, however, to cover up for a lack of muting technique. Then and only then would it be "cheating."
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Quote by 2mins2midnite

Good on ya! The bobbie/tissue method will make your muting worse, as you won't be paying attention to it. Anyway, the SOL tapping interlude - when I am playing the part on the G string, I mute the lower strings with the side of my right (tapping) hand. I keep my fretting hand index finger fairly flat so it covers the B and E strings and mutes them. When I switch to the part on the high E string, my right hand shifts a bit towards the floor to tap the G at the 15th fret, and in this position the side of my hand mutes all 5 lower strings.
I wouldn't do the tissue w/e method, I consider it cheating. You should learn it properly by muting it the traditional ways. If you're recording though, and need it perfect, then its ok, but even at that you shouldn't need it anyways.
Quote by 2mins2midnite
Thanks guys.

There should be no need to use tissues or anything! If you are muting properly I dont see how you would get any unwanted noise...
Quote by chainsawguitar
There should be no need to use tissues or anything! If you are muting properly I dont see how you would get any unwanted noise...

Guthrie Govan does it pretty regularly, and you could argue he has the best technique out of all living players. That said, its only used at a very advanced level and shouldn't be used by most people in normal situations where muting otherwise isn't difficult.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Quote by 2mins2midnite
Thanks guys.

No it's not. I do it. If you're doing 8 finger tapping there's literally no other way to mute.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by hippieboy444
Watch Freepower's video

Freepower's video is fine and dandy, but he doesn't really go into depth on string skipping tapping muting. It's not actually THAT bad to do though. It just takes some time to get used to hammering down with your index finger on an ascending string.
Quote by WalkinDude91

Damn son.

Although that doesn't cover every way of eight finger tapping. He's just sort of alternating left and right hand so he has room to mute with the other. If you're using them more in conjunction it's harder.

But this is off topic, my badz.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
For proper muting, you should use the left hand palm to mute the strings lower than the one you're playing, and dampen the higher strings with your left index so they don't ring out. This takes a lot of practice but will give you good results with the need of using a tissue or a hair bobble.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Using tissue/hair bobbles/rubberbands/foreskins etc to mute the strings is all well and good, but I'd argue that learning to play without them will make you a better player in the long run.

On topic, i haven't really got anything to contribute that hasn't already been said. Practice till you can play Govan's slippery lick cleanly, then you know you've got it.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick

On topic, i haven't really got anything to contribute that hasn't already been said. Practice till you can play Govan's slippery lick cleanly, then you know you've got it.

Even Guthrie himself has trouble with that lick. It might be better to start off with something like....

B: hammer 5 hammer 9 tap 11

D: hammer 6 hammer 7 tap 11

E:hammer 5 hammer 9 tap 12

Start from the low E and ascend and then descend that. Make sure you "hammer from nowhere" clearly on the first notes on each string. That's basically the whole trick to it. AND DON'T USE A SOCK!
Quote by WalkinDude91
Freepower's video is fine and dandy, but he doesn't really go into depth on string skipping tapping muting. It's not actually THAT bad to do though. It just takes some time to get used to hammering down with your index finger on an ascending string.

I meant on muting
Quote by WalkinDude91
Even Guthrie himself has trouble with that lick.

Heh, I happened to be watching this live video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMJH1r_YSaM&feature=related

And at 1:35 he pulls off the lick and gives this emphatic fist pump.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I can do it cleanly now without the use of a hair tie/bobble/tissue.

Cheers for teh Advice xxx