hey i play guitar and have been for about 8 months but my brother has recently said he wouldnt mind playing bass, he played drums for about a year but hten quit so we both think he should get a really cheap bass to try 1st
i dont care what it is but whats hte cheapest bass and amp pack around and where could i get it from?

thanks
If he did not try to play bass before, why don't you go to music store and play there first?
As for cheapest basses - used, Chinese ones.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
make a fretless? can be done for about £20 if you just use random wood that you can find at your diy store, and a crappy bridge/tuners of Ebay - then you end up payign more for the strings than the bass...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Dude cheap and good can happen, check out Rondomusic.com, great inexpensive guitars and basses. I wouldn't recommend getting a package from anywhere, usually package guitars and basses suck the big one. If I was in your position I would get a SX P Bass and a Acoustic B20 amp, just borrow a cable and the tuner from you since you probably already have that stuff.
http://www.rondomusic.com/spb57blk.html

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B20-1X12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481622

I'm not really a bass player but check that stuff out
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by doive
make a fretless? can be done for about £20 if you just use random wood that you can find at your diy store, and a crappy bridge/tuners of Ebay - then you end up payign more for the strings than the bass...

I've never seen a bridge or machine heads for that cheap

What about pick-ups and pots?
Quote by Archieisted
by cheap bass i mean like £70 for an amp and bass

you'll be extremely hard pushed to find this kinda stuff maybe possible if you go used.But thats what i paid for my first bass amp :S.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I don't know what to tell you for the amp, but I have a $30 unbranded P-Bass knockoff laying around that I got from eBay. You can find a lot of basses like that there, but at $30 the quality really suffers.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by Archieisted

If you're lucky you might be able to find a used or unwanted package for that much on EBay.

I think brand wise:

Encore
Squier
Vintage
Gear4music (they build their own guitars too)
I collect clothes and IKEA furniture. Who are you?
Quote by Archieisted

lol, good luck with that one.

Maybe if you forgot about the amp for the time being and just got the bass so he could mess around with it and see what's good
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
You could try the Cash Converter/Cash Generator type shops. There's usually wtf-brand basses in there at the £50 mark, maybe less. Ditto for the amps - £10 to £20 bags you the amp out of a starter pack, which someone's upgraded from.
As long as you're not fussy about brand, or appearance, it should be possible to buy a bass and amp for £70.
There a few cheap packages going on Ebay at the moment. I bought a package for around £80 a few months back and the guitar is not that bad really. It does its job.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-PACKAGE-AND-AMPLIFIER-PACK-KIT_W0QQitemZ130322795123QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item1e57d80a73&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

― Dolly Parton
Quote by eyeplayguitar
I second playing one at the store. But it looks like the Silvertone LB11 package is getting good reviews around the net.

I second this, i actually use a LB11 as my main bass, has new pickups and hardware, but i adore the tone it has and i got it dirt cheap too i think like $130CDN. cant speak for the amp, never used it as i got the bass seperate and i use a peavy starter amp
Quote by eyeplayguitar
I second playing one at the store. But it looks like the Silvertone LB11 package is getting good reviews around the net.

The LB11 is okay for a starter.. It just has buzzing problems. You'd need to raise the action a bunch just to get rid of most of it, or make other adjustments.
Quote by Archieisted

no chance mate.
Fender: Aerodyne Precision Bass
Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

BOSS: TU-2
BOSS: ODB-3
Jim Dunlop: Bass Wah Wah
Electro Harmonix: The Mole
Electro Harmonix: Bass Big Muff
Behringer: Bass Limiter Enchancer

Hartke: Kickback 12
get one of the bass packs (bass, amp, wire, strap, headphones, and some other stuff). Ibanez, ESP, and Dean i KNOW make them, but theres probably others too. thye go from $200-$300, but its worth it since him buying a bass is useless without an amp
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
This is probably one of the cheapest you could get I'd imagine
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by SkaJon
Dude cheap and good can happen, check out Rondomusic.com, great inexpensive guitars and basses. I wouldn't recommend getting a package from anywhere, usually package guitars and basses suck the big one. If I was in your position I would get a SX P Bass and a Acoustic B20 amp, just borrow a cable and the tuner from you since you probably already have that stuff.
http://www.rondomusic.com/spb57blk.html

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B20-1X12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481622

I'm not really a bass player but check that stuff out

THIS, THIS, 100 TIMES, THIS!

Rondo Music makes the SX line of basses, plenty of choices, and for only around $100. They are fantastic quality for the small price. Be careful though, they have basses that are labeled '3/4', which means they're short scale.

A short scale bass has a smaller neck, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you're probably better of learning on a full scale, normal sized neck.

Any questions send me a message, I'll guide you in the right direction if you need a hand. Good luck!