Right, this one has been a long time coming, and due to the fact that I #1. don't have alot of money, and #2. couldn't find a decent piece of wood that was the right size to facilitate a bass.
The only thing that I want any sort of help with is the shape. It's really stumping me.
I originally intended to make a sort of CT rip off, with the nice curled horn on top and the small "birth defect" horn on the bottom.
For example.

But now that I have my Antoniotsai, I don't see the point really.
(http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Casketcreep/pictures/gear/616953/617240)

Any ideas?
I want something very old style and classical in theme... but with a touch of the contemporary.
have you thought about doing something in a similar style to the 60s japanese guitars? tiescos, harmonys, kays, that sort of thing. Or maybe something almost art deco like a rickenbacker?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
What about a Spector/Warwick streamer type body? Those have always been my favourite bodies, plus they sort of have the birth defect lower horn
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Well my original design was intended to have a little rick in it at the back.
It had the slight bump at the end, which I've always thought looked good.

And the lower horn was more organically shaped, like a bone or a stubby finger of some description. I think I may keep this design and just change the upper horn to something different.

I've always liked the sort of design that the spear s-2 uses...

But I don't think it could be achieved without making a neck through.
Quote by Casketcreep

uuuuugghh... not sure why, but basses like that with the ridiculousness upper fret access sort of rub me the wrong way

EDIT: sweet headstock though
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by Casketcreep

That would be the best thing ever if the horn wasn't joined to the neck
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I played the 6 string version of that spear bass and it is the most comfortable 6 string i've ever played. It balances perfectly, feels just right, sustains like nobodies business and sounds so full and fat. I could see use for it in any application
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
1 do something original with the headstock. I know you're taking influence from CT but that's no reason to outright use his head shape.

Have you decided on woods yet?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Mahogany has very mixed reviews for bass use. It's not a terrible, unuseable wood but by it's nature it's a very dark sounding wood which can make for a muddy tone if it's not offset with something. As you know most Gibson basses have mahogany bodies so it would be fair to say look at them for a rough idea of how it will end up sounding.

Are you carving the entire body and neck from this plank for some really awesome one piece bass or will you be using a different piece of wood for the neck? I'd recommend a maple neck with an ebony fretboard to add some brightness to the tone. But if you plan on doing it one piece then all power to you I'd love to see a one piece bass.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
2 piece ash/alder>1 piece mahogany.

IMO.

give me 3 elements- obscure elements, like slender or powerful or sharp that you want your design to be.

then give me 3 basses, and what you like about them.

I can send you in a good direction I think.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
O.o Mahogany? Interesting. Just out of curiosity, do you have any plans for color/finish and hardware?
My Schecter is Mahogany. I've found that more often than not, it's a wood that's very neutral (with some added lows and top end) and it tends to add to the top wood or veneer of your bass more than anything. In the Schecter's case, this is Bubinga, though the top is thin (1/2").
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Tostitos
O.o Mahogany? Interesting. Just out of curiosity, do you have any plans for color/finish and hardware?

No plans for the finish yet, I'm kinda taking it one step at a time.

Hummer at the bridge, jazz pup at the neck.
I haven't yet decided whether I want to put a kahler trem on it.
I love them, and have quite a reasonable amount of songs that I use it in, but I don't think I need more than one bass with one. Plus they cost a bomb.

I'm buying a paddle neck that's maple/ebony.

I've been working on the designs based on the one above, and I think I've come up with one that I like.
show us then
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Hmmmm sounds good. I'd agree that another bass with a trem might be a little much, but I'm pretty sure it'd look awesome regardless. You should post a build thread for this in GB&C lol, can't get enough of those!