So, I pretty much learn by using tabs and also by ear, but I'm wanting to learn a few scales to practice to improve on my ability to play heavier metal (in terms of riffs and stuff like that). Any suggestions/advice?
When the fuck did forums start letting you use apostrophes in usernames?
Minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, natural minor, the 7 modes, diminished.

And blues
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666
Minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, natural minor, the 7 modes, diminished.

And blues

The difference between minor and natural minor being...?

And modes are not scales. Modes are not scales. Modes are not scales.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Okay, thanks for the input everyone. I already know 2 scales but the person that IMed them to me didn't tell me the names. So I'll look all of these up and get started!
When the fuck did forums start letting you use apostrophes in usernames?
Start learning about modes, and relationships between them.

Like, a C Major scale is C Ionian, which is the the first mode. It contains the same notes as a D Dorian scale, which is the second mode. E Phrygian is the third mode, also has the same notes. Etc, etc, etc.

There is no "metal scale." You can make anything sound metal, it just depends on how you use it.
I suggest finding a guitar teacher that's recommended and knows a lot about music theory.
Also, learn the modes up the neck on both 6th and 5th stings.
Quote by dark__echoes
I suggest finding a guitar teacher that's recommended and knows a lot about music theory.
Also, learn the modes up the neck on both 6th and 5th stings.

If you know the order of steps, or major or minor notes, then you can make a mode from any mode on the guitar. Just follow that order.
Whole Half
Half Whole

Easy to under stand.

But could someone clarify this: If i play the Whole Half on the 12 Fret Fat E and i in Em, im not sure how to work out the Keys when using these scales.

And learn the Key of Eminor, most metal is played in this. And Em=G major.
Quote by TatarSalad2
Start learning about modes, and relationships between them.

Like, a C Major scale is C Ionian, which is the the first mode. It contains the same notes as a D Dorian scale, which is the second mode. E Phrygian is the third mode, also has the same notes. Etc, etc, etc.

There is no "metal scale." You can make anything sound metal, it just depends on how you use it.

No, no modes

TS, concentrate on learning the major scale for the time being, but learn EVERYTHING about it. Learn it in all 12 keys, learn the pattern of intervals, learn the notes, learn how to harmonize it and the chords derived from it and above all learn how it sounds, not just in sequence but learn to spot it being used.

Larn how to use it, not just how to play it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com