ok I know there are so many threads on building your speed that it isnt funny to post another one.
and i have read the sticky's. ill be using a few of them regularly.
however. something that gets said here often is eating at me. and that is "if you practice scales fast, you learn to play scales fast"
or whatever you practice..as in you will build speed on that exercise, but not too beneficial for the whole picture...

so
assuming that logic is true (im not doubting it) then how do you build up solo speed for everything else? is it basically just learning different licks..practicing the licks individually and then trying to put them all together?

maybe i should pick a simple solo by a band and learn it as well, i havent done that yet.
or stick to learning different licks and practicing speed on them individually then stringing them together?

I have the lick library 50 metal licks and can play the first group of 5 licks...the second group of licks are too fast for me.. not to even mention the third.
i been playing rythm for over 15 years
As you said (although i admit i really just skimmed through) learning to play scales fast teaches you just that, how to play scales fast.
For everything else you have to play everything else. The best way to speed anything up is start slow and speed up with a metronome, but what you actually play comes down to you. I'd recommend learning solos or lead parts you like, or making up your own riffs.
Speed comes with time, don't worry about it.

Edit: there is some merit in what the guy below me is saying, but there are many things that practicing the same excersises over and over doesn't help, one being the crushing boredom brought on by monotony.
the main thing practicing scales doesnt help with is phrasing, as you are programming yourself to play really fast in a straight line, and any other technique: like legato, or sweeping.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Aug 28, 2009,
I don't fall for the "if you only practice this it will only make you faster at that" BS

Once your brain gets used to syncing up with your fretting at higher speeds it doesn't matter what you play, you should still be able to get that speed. or at least thats how it works for me.

I practice basically the same patterns everyday to build my speed and yes it makes me faster at those patterns but it also makes it easier for me to play anything faster.

I guess for some it doesn't work that way...for me it does.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Cisc
I have the lick library 50 metal licks and can play the first group of 5 licks...the second group of licks are too fast for me.. not to even mention the third.
i been playing rythm for over 15 years
So play them slower

Don't try and play fast to build speed - try and play accurately, all the time. If you practice playing EVERYTHING cleanly and accurately, with economy of motion, you'll get faster naturally. If you try and force speed you're in danger of just getting sloppier.
Whenever I need to play lead I put on some coffee. But for practising I find I do need to practise an individual song at a fast speed to learn it properly. Now that I've been playing for awhile (5 years or so) my practising is more efficient and it takes less time to learn, but you have to be a really outrageous player to just pick up a tune and be able to play it quickly.
zhilla..i understand that and i do that. alot..

but at some point you have to go for it. so practice slowly, and every so often hit the gas and see if its any better?

I was looking at the solo to aces high as someone somewhere catogorized as a simple solo.. the speed in that one i cannot touch.

see its the simple stuff im stuck on too..

and as far as "Speed comes with time, don't worry about it."
I have been playing for 15 years lol...so theres something im not doing right..although I admit I just started actually practicing hard with solo stuff the past month.
should have done this long ago...
Last edited by Cisc at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by Cisc
zhilla..i understand that and i do that. alot..

but at some point you have to go for it. so practice slowly, and every so often hit the gas and see if its any better?

I was looking at the solo to aces high as someone somewhere catogorized as a simple solo.. the speed in that one i cannot touch.

see its the simple stuff im stuck on too..
I just practice stuff at whatever speed I can play it accurately - when I can play it accurately comfortably I speed up a bit. I don't like speeding up faster than that because then I end up making mistakes, and if I'm trying to get something specific up to speed then those mistakes mess up the muscle memory thing and just make the whole process take longer.

Edit: I never said speed comes with time - at least I hope I didn't Speed comes with good coordination and economy of motion, which comes from lots and lots and lots of correct practice. Time won't do anything for you if you're not using it to practice properly
Last edited by zhilla at Aug 28, 2009,
It comes down to a mix of things. You already know that to play fast well you need to start slow, but you should vary your exercises. You're building up a lick library which is good, try to make it as varied as possible. Play scales as well, throw in some chromatic exercises. You get the idea.