Okay here is the deal.

I had a Gibson Les Paul Standard back in 2004 but got rid of it as I had loads of problems with it, I loved the guitar, and I always have had a thing for Les Pauls. So I decided recently that I might get myself a new one.

However until today I hadn't looked at the price of a Les Paul or any guitar for that matter for at least 2 years. Since when did a LP Standard go from £1,299 to £1,899?
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
@scippy: it seems that price is only for certain models in the standard catalogue and only for certain colours. I know colour shouldn't really matter but I despise black on a les paul standard. Incidentally the one I want on that site is still expensive at just under £1,700

I also noticed that the price has been hiked on other guitars too such as the Ibanez Jem 7V-WH. It used to be only £1,400 at the worst and now it's the same region as a Les Paul Standard.

Back in 2004 you would be paying £1,899 for a Les Paul Custom nevermind a Les Paul Standard. Shockingly high price increment.

EDIT: Anyone think the prices will ever return to what they used to be?
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
Last edited by satchgear at Aug 28, 2009,
Buy a new amp
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Quote by teamzaius
Buy a new amp

Get a life.. seriously. Just because I don't have a tube amp I get this **** from you?

For your info. I did have a Mesa Boogie f-50 and it was too loud for this house and I got complaints. That's why I downgraded.
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
Everything costs more nowdays. Thats just the way it is... Gibson really needs to pull their head out before they dig to big of a hole to get out of. Meanwhile, Fender is building an empire, Fender now has Gretsch, EVH, Jackson, etc... Meanwhile gibson keeps coming up with these stupid ugly designs. which are basically just the same old guitars, just done different. Zoot suit? Reverse explorer? reverse v? HUH??? I dont get it.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Everything costs more nowdays. Thats just the way it is... Gibson really needs to pull their head out before they dig to big of a hole to get out of. Meanwhile, Fender is building an empire, Fender now has Gretsch, EVH, Jackson, etc... Meanwhile gibson keeps coming up with these stupid ugly designs. which are basically just the same old guitars, just done different. Zoot suit? Reverse explorer? reverse v? HUH??? I dont get it.

Yeah I think they've lost their way a little. I hope they can get back to what they used to be years and years ago. Back when quality was never an issue. But I just don't see why they need to charge more. It's kind of a rip-off now if it wasn't before.

I'm kind of hoping that if/when the economic problems the world has right now returns to normal. So do the prices.
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
Quote by satchgear
Yeah I think they've lost their way a little. I hope they can get back to what they used to be years and years ago. Back when quality was never an issue. But I just don't see why they need to charge more. It's kind of a rip-off now if it wasn't before.

I'm kind of hoping that if/when the economic problems the world has right now returns to normal. So do the prices.

The totally crazy thing about gibson is as the prices went up, the quality went down. So you are paying way more for what could be junk. Do they not even care about their reputation anymore?