How hard is the song Altitudes.I saw it and listined to it.Jason becker is amazing! And I want to learn the song.In one of the stickys it says it will help me with my sweeping.So how hard is the song in general.
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
pretty bloody hard.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Quote by manmanster
pretty bloody hard.

This except by "pretty" it's kind of "extremely" and by "hard" I mean OHDFSAKFJSK MY HANDS

This is by any regular person's standards, that is.
Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Currently saving for:
Agile/Gary Kramer 7 string
well. unless your jason becker. its darn near impossible. you have to atleast been playing for 14 years lol
Classical Guitarist
Quote by Zep_shizzle
well. unless your jason becker. its darn near impossible. you have to atleast been playing for 14 years lol

It's impossible for Jason Becker.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
^ yeah, Jason's condition was one of the saddest losses for the guitar playing/music world, and I can only imagine what it was like for him, having what he was most passionate about taken away inch by inch.
Yeah, it's damn hard, I'm pretty good at sweeping, and I can play the arpeggios pretty fast, but I can't get the phrasing and dynamics right to make it sound good.
i just got my hot licks dvd in the mail
its awesome and sad.
Classical Guitarist
He is a very technical player. Most of his work demands extreme excellence in both sweep picking and speed picking.

You will have your work cut out for you if you attempt to master one of his pieces.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Quote by hippieboy444
What happened to him?

Jason Becker was diagnosed with ALS, also known as "Lou Gehrig's disease" at a pretty young age. He's been completely paralyzed from head to toe for a very long time. He's still able to write music with aid from computers, but will probably never play a guitar again.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Jason Becker was diagnosed with ALS, also known as "Lou Gehrig's disease" at a pretty young age. He's been completely paralyzed from head to toe for a very long time. He's still able to write music with aid from computers, but will probably never play a guitar again.

whyd u go and say that
Classical Guitarist
Well, he has shown movement in his fingertips, so not all hope is lost.

There was some 80 year old lady, had ALS for 10-15 years before she passed, walked 10 kilometres every couple days or every single day...never showed one sign of ALS until they ran the autopsy.
you have to be very very skilled,if you want to pull off that song.
jason had amazing hands,he did anything he wanted to on the guitar.
you gotta have perfect synch between both hands,to alternate pick,sweep pick,etc`.
i suggest you pick another song to learn,because you`ll just end up frustrated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRK6NxgPlfo&feature=related

This is a cover of the song, it is extremely hard to play! I'd say the fast arpeggios in the middle of the song isn't the worst, it's the phrasing and his unique style that he developed in "later" guitar career. Don't get me wrong though I can't sweep anywhere that fast
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Altitudes is a damn hard song to play, the sweeps aren't the hardest part either, I'd say they're the easier parts of the song. Once you get onto the full on scale shredding and stuff, it's really tough, getting all the nuances and dynamics to flow while controlling your sound makes it incredibly frustrating.
I'd actually not known much about Jason Becker before reading this thread...watched a news story on youtube about him, and wow...what a sad story...
What an amazing man to still carry on with his dream, and using his talents even when he can't even play or talk anymore...this is a guitar hero.
Also if you want to learn the song, I wouldn't follow any tabs, you could maybe take a look at some tabs to get the hang of the song, but there's alot of difficult phrasings, in the song that can't be explained in a tab, you've got to trust your own ears and listen to the song .
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
But if we work hard together we will find a cure!!!!!

Seriously though, its a REALLY hard song

I've tried many many many times

HARD

even the slow mellow part after the intro is TOUGH

you should try Blue by Becker...
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been