Page 1 of 2
i have a peavey prowler 45 watt tube amp. if i want to play classic rock with some moderate gain i boost the mids. but if i want to play anything modern the only way i can get more gain out of my amp is to scoop the mids. is that normal? the difference in distortion is rediculous. im just wondering if i'll be able to be heard over a drummer with scooped mids...
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Yeah, but not normally for that reason.

Some people scoop mids for just certain musical applications. In some styles it just fits better. Some people will scoop the mids because they have a super middy amp.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
u could always get an od for more gain, but for higher-gain stuff scooped mids usually sound better anyways, its essential for that metal sound
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Quote by stratman_13
Yeah, but not normally for that reason.

Some people scoop mids for just certain musical applications. In some styles it just fits better. Some people will scoop the mids because they have a super middy amp.

I agree with this.

Also, making a british voiced amp sound more "fenderish", you scoop some mids. Fenders are voiced scooped.

But when you scoop in band situations, you tend to cut through the mix less. If you are just jamming with a drummer and not other instruments, it's probably going to be fine.

Really it's a matter of taste, there are no mid nazi's in real life, just on the interwebz.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.

I don't understand why people say taking mids away makes it have more gain. Every amp I've ever used had more gain when you boost the mids, rather than scoop them...

It's ok to scoop mids on amps that have tons of mids, like the Mesa Mark IV and the Peavey 5150, but putting mids to 0 on any amp is just going to give you a horrible tone that doesn't cut through the mix at all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

I don't understand why people say taking mids away makes it have more gain. Every amp I've ever used had more gain when you boost the mids, rather than scoop them...

Yep

I'm a mid nazi in real life...
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
On my Vox I have it set bass-10 mids-0 and treble-8-9 :P for metal that is.

it does seem to boost the gain. It definitely makes Pinch harmonics easier. And I like the sound.
Acceptable? If you like scooped mids, then why not?
Be your own person. Like what you like.
Don't worry about what your eq looks like. If it sounds good and you can be heard through the band, play it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

thanx just wanted some opinions ya know. i guess it is a really midrangey amp idk
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Quote by MatrixClaw

It's ok to scoop mids on amps that have tons of mids, like the Mesa Mark IV and the Peavey 5150, but putting mids to 0 on any amp is just going to give you a horrible tone that doesn't cut through the mix at all.

+1

That's what seems to happen for me
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Yea. Sometimes you have to scoop if your gear is middy. There's also situations where if you run multiple eq's, you cut here and add there to get YOUR tone.

Cover your eq sliders and amp knobs if you don't want to be accused of sounding "Nu".
Last edited by 667 at Aug 28, 2009,
Scooping your mids is never acceptable.

You must always have a flat EQ.

And you must always play smooth jazz with a soprano saxophone player.

Thus are the laws of tone.
BECAUSE SCOOPED MIDS ARE TEH BR00TZ!!!!
olololoololololllooloolollololololololoonelolololololoo

+1 to Matrix
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Excluding mesas I've yet to find an amp that doesn't sound better with the mids boosted rather than scooped. That goes for any genre. Also, more mids usually means more gain as well, If I want a cleaner sound I'll back the mids off.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Scooped mids sound is personal preference, some people like it, some don't.
If you like it, don't let anyone tell you not to do that, but also don't EQ to extremes (mids 0, bass and treble 10), that sounds awful.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Tedward
On my Vox I have it set bass-10 mids-0 and treble-8-9 :P for metal that is.

it does seem to boost the gain. It definitely makes Pinch harmonics easier. And I like the sound.

It's because your treble is all the ****in way up.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Mids brings out a players technique more so than scooped playing. Some people just sound better playing scooped - especially when speed>accuracy
People always refer to 'scooped' as if there is no mids at all, and 'boosted' as if it has a ****load. Really, somewhere in the middle should be fine, a little scooped, a little boosted. You should let your ears tell you what sounds good, and then not ask for permission later.

Quote by Kevin Saale
I've yet to find an amp that doesn't sound better with the mids boosted rather than scooped. That goes for any genre.

Thats ****ing rediculous. So, you plan on having two guitars with a fair amount of mids, bass guitar with a fair amount of mids of course, and just have all the instruments fighting to be the one cutting through that actually cuts through?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by papersun87
I run my bass and treble at 6 and my mids at 4. Does that make me a mid scooper?
No. Scooping means mids at zero. Those are similar settings that I use on my JSX. Very good settings actually, with my amp at least.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I honestly could care less at what my amp settings are or anyone else's.. I just listen for the tone coming out of it..

All settings have there place.. I have a buddy that scoops everything he gets on but he always sounds amazing out of a band situation. And in the band situation he knows to crank up his mids. Does that mean he is an idiot.... Nope just means he likes that tone so more power to him.

And I prefer to play with boosted mids in any situation. But yet like the tone of scooped mids when someone else is playing. Go figure..

So that said you cant say someone is scooping there mids if you have never listened to them. Settings alone don't tell you what they will sound like. And even after listening to them and there scooping them out hey they still might sound good..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

Thats ****ing rediculous. So, you plan on having two guitars with a fair amount of mids, bass guitar with a fair amount of mids of course, and just have all the instruments fighting to be the one cutting through that actually cuts through?

Bass isn't supposed to occupy midrange.

And if you have 2 amps with different voicings altogether, the timbre of the instruments and amplifiers will be enough to differentiate, anyway.

And I believe he was referring to a standalone situation. In most applications, I boost my mids considerably, so that my sound is filling a lot of space. But then, I don't play brootz, and I mainly write songs for a 2 piece so again, horses for courses.
I like a good bit of mids. Makes my amp growl like a big angry bear.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Van Noord
No. Scooping means mids at zero. Those are similar settings that I use on my JSX. Very good settings actually, with my amp at least.

NO.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I don't understand where the misconception came from that every metal band scoops mids and that it is "essential for the metal tone".

My band plays swedish death metal, and our mids sit around 8. Even bands like Slayer, who people seem to think have scooped mids in fact push their mids.

Mids help you cut through, which is crucial for guitar driven metal. They even help with your pinches!
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I honestly could care less at what my amp settings are or anyone else's.. I just listen for the tone coming out of it..

+1

Quote by imgooley
Bass isn't supposed to occupy midrange.

And if you have 2 amps with different voicings altogether, the timbre of the instruments and amplifiers will be enough to differentiate, anyway.

And I believe he was referring to a standalone situation. In most applications, I boost my mids considerably, so that my sound is filling a lot of space. But then, I don't play brootz, and I mainly write songs for a 2 piece so again, horses for courses.

Thank you.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by GibsonTheGuitar
I don't understand where the misconception came from that every metal band scoops mids and that it is "essential for the metal tone".

My band plays swedish death metal, and our mids sit around 8. Even bands like Slayer, who people seem to think have scooped mids in fact push their mids.

Mids help you cut through, which is crucial for guitar driven metal. They even help with your pinches!
Agree with all of this.

My EQ settings are usually something like a downhill slope though.
Quote by 667
Yea. Sometimes you have to scoop if your gear is middy. There's also situations where if you run multiple eq's, you cut here and add there to get YOUR tone.

Cover your eq sliders and amp knobs if you don't want to be accused of sounding "Nu".

Cover the sliders? yeah, right.

You're the musician. Play whatever settings suit you. Blow people away with your playing and guaranteed no one will question your settings.
Quote by BobDetroit
Cover the sliders? yeah, right.

I was kidding.
I worship scooped mids... I want to hold a gun to Metallica's amps until they meet my request of scooping all mids.
Quote by pokeatthedevil
I worship scooped mids... I want to hold a gun to Metallica's amps until they meet my request of scooping all mids.

PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Nah, mid scooping's fine, I like to have my mids low anyways because I prefer the thicker crunchy sound from having a higher bass and treble. I don't do it for gain though
Quote by JesusCrisp
NO.
Yes. Scooping means taking them out completely. Not just having them low.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Page 1 of 2