Okay, I have this band in college, we play a lot of stuff, but we're only a cover band still. We're working on originals, but we are still a small college band from Orissa, India.

So here's my problem.
Drummer: AWESOME drummer, very very nice and cooperative guy, the most mature guy in our band(probably because he's the eldest guy in the band, he has this "big brother" thing about him).
Bassist: Same, nice, cooperative, and a good bassist.
Lead guitarist: Me. I'm improving, little by little...
Rhythm Guitarist: Youngest in the band. Very tight, but is an ASSHOLE, likes to feel like he's in control, pretends to be this mature guy n all but is TOTALLY EMO, has HUGE ego issues, dismisses other's opinions like its not even funny. BUT he is very very tight....AND writes EXCELLENT lyrics...
Vocalist: Okay, this guy SUCKS. I have no idea how he got into the band in the first place. BUT writes good lyrics.

The main creative forces in our band are the drummer and I. The rhythm guitarist comes up with decent riffs, but says ours are crap(Instead of telling us how to improve our riffs.) The drummer and I come up with some really nice riffs and grooves, this guy shoots them down INSTANTLY. Our vocalist is TERRIBLE, he cant hit the right notes, starts screaming and stops singing when on stage, has SERIOUS timing/rhythm issues, refuses to practice.

These guys cannot just be thrown out, there's a severe shortage of good musicians down here....

I have NO idea what to do...I had some talks with our drummer, he just said "wait dude, this could take some time to settle, let ME handle this." The bassist and I are confused...

please help...

Sushant
Kick the vocalist out, if he can't sing he doesn't deserve the job. As for your rhythm guitarist, start shooting him down when ever he comes up with something, like he does to you.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
What's the point in coming here to rant if you won't kick them out? You can't stop the other guitarist being an arsehole so don't try. If the majority if you don't like him in the band then kick him. The singer sucks, why don't you sing.. or the bassist? You shouldn't keep them in the band. I stopped trying to get by with annoying band members a while ago and I like it. It's harder to find serious musicians but at least i'm not being annoyed by uselessness/arseholes.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Oh **** I have the EXACT same problem man EVERY WORD OF IT(well..almost)...Who are you dude..?? CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES GODDAMNIT!!!
start a new band without them and u and the bassist sing, u make the singer sound like he is retarded.

If the singer cant sing then ditch him, its not that hard to write good lyrics if you actually put your mind to it. if he refuses to practice kick him out especially if he is bad

Ok and for the rhythym guitarist, either start a band without him so he gets jealous and stops being an asshole. OR start a band without him, play like to shows without him AND let him hear play ur songs/originals so he can hear how good you are, then ask him to rejoin.
Quote by TubeAmp89
Oh **** I have the EXACT same problem man EVERY WORD OF IT(well..almost)...Who are you dude..?? CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES GODDAMNIT!!!

I see potential lulz to ensue.

Remember to go the the pit when this **** hits the fan ok?

OP.
If you must. Replace the rhythm and lead vocal.

Problem solved?

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by osXtiger
I see potential lulz to ensue.

Remember to go the the pit when this **** hits the fan ok?

What's that supposed to mean? I'm a total noob with forum lingo/slang among other things..
I don't really go to the pit much...
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Aug 28, 2009,
Start a new band with the drummer - the other guys aren't right for your band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Start a new band with the drummer and bassist - the other guys aren't right for your band.

fixed
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Kick out rhythm guitar if you consider it 60% necessary and 40% bad idea.
Tell the vocalist that he either practices or the band is going instrumental-only for a while.
Drummer: Keep close, let him help with the discussions.
Bassist: let him hand around, they're usually cool-down guys.
You: Do what you like to do, while keeping the advantage over the idiotic ideas.

Luck
ditch the vocalist, ditch the rhythm guitarist.
everyone plays guitar so finding someone to play rhythm won't be hard.
just post an ad for vocalists on craigslist or something.
Quote by asator
fixed

Cheers!

It really is easier to start a new band than try to fix an old one. Talk to the bassist and drummer to see if they share your views, talk about starting a new band. Once done tell the other guys you're all quitting. They can continue their band without you, and you without them without going through the crap that can occur with kicking members out.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Cheers!

It really is easier to start a new band than try to fix an old one. Talk to the bassist and drummer to see if they share your views, talk about starting a new band. Once done tell the other guys you're all quitting. They can continue their band without you, and you without them without going through the crap that can occur with kicking members out.

No worries.

TS, listen to this fine fellow.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by AlanHB
Cheers!

I agree, albiet with some minor reservation. It is always "easier" to start new, but its rarley flowers and pandas down the stretch. If one were to start a new band everytime problems arose, it would become a huge hassle. It doesnt speak much for your maturity as a band, in the longrun. If the Rythem guy's riffs are good, and you feel left out in the creative arena of songwriting, you may have to ask the others if yours are comparible or better. If they are not, bite the bullet and be damn happy to be playing some killer riffs. Some bands have strict guidlines on songwriting, and lead players dont have much say in construction. Then again, most dont. Its just par for the course.

AlanHB - Ultimately, I agree with you. I just have a longer fuse than most. It is great advice. I only hope to motivate the TS to try just a bit harder bedfore taking the path that you sudgested.

I understand that in this case, the issues seem to warrant the dissmisal of at least one band member, the vocalist being my choise. As for dealing with your emo induced gutarist, if you would like to keep him, gang up on him. What I mean is, get the bassist and drummer to back you. If he wont jump on the wagon at that point, he's almost useless.

Sometimes a swift kick in the a** is what gutarists need. They seem to be the most fragile members in the band, but Rhytem players are a dime a dozen in some cases, even hard to find places.

Best case scenario - You get the Gutarist on board, one wat or another. He either grows up, or gets on th level. Either that or you the bassist and the drummer start a power trio and love every freaking second of it.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Vocalists are arguably the easiest to find, so stuff that guy if he doesn't deserve his spot in the band. At least give the rhythm guitarist a chance. Perhaps you should talk to him a bit about it, but not in a way that he'll become angry and quit of his own accord, although that would solve things easily. Musicians are actually easier to find than you'd think; it's just obtaining good ones with decent personalities that's the problem. If you think that you could do better than the people you have now, go ahead and fire them. However, if the annoying rhythm guitarist isn't really bringing you down (since his lyrics are good), then it could be better to keep him in for the moment at least.
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac

AlanHB - Ultimately, I agree with you. I just have a longer fuse than most. It is great advice. I only hope to motivate the TS to try just a bit harder bedfore taking the path that you sudgested.

Sure, I agree that the decision to fire/leave should be made after some attempts to fix the band. In my perfect little world, someone would only turn to the internet for such advice after exhausting all attempts to fix a problem themselves personally.

However this is UG - I like this board because it's like dating advice.

Maybe I should try to rephrase my point. In a situation like this one where 2/3 out of 5 people want to leave an established/semi-established band (ie. have written material and have gigged a little), it is easier to leave the other 2 or 3 original members with that band, and for you and others to go elsewhere. Different situations can arise if one of those members leaving is the primary songwriter, in which case they will either revoke the use of his songs or give permission to use them as long as they're credited.

Hey that's an interesting issue, if Axeman Chris is listening.

When the primary songwriter of the band leaves a band, can they revoke their permission for the songs to be used?
Soundcloud
Quote by zephyrclaw
Vocalists are arguably the easiest to find, so stuff that guy if he doesn't deserve his spot in the band. At least give the rhythm guitarist a chance. Perhaps you should talk to him a bit about it, but not in a way that he'll become angry and quit of his own accord, although that would solve things easily. Musicians are actually easier to find than you'd think; it's just obtaining good ones with decent personalities that's the problem. If you think that you could do better than the people you have now, go ahead and fire them. However, if the annoying rhythm guitarist isn't really bringing you down (since his lyrics are good), then it could be better to keep him in for the moment at least.

this.