So.. Here is my problem.

I have a Fender super champ XD amp that I bought 5 months ago. It worked perfectly fine with my Fender american Tele but I just bought a Schecter Tempest jerry horton tempest with Seymour Duncan 59' neck and JB bridge pickups.

Now this is the problem. When I play using the JB bridge with the volume on the guitar at 8,9,or 10 and hit some chords the power from the amp completely dropps off and slowly fades back in. Hit it again and same problem over and over. Pull the coil tap OUT and it works fine, switch to the bridge pickup coil tap in OR out and it works fine. With the volume on my guitar at 7 or below it works fine in ALL positions.

We plugged in 2 other guitars to my amp and they worked fine, plugged those same guitars into a brand new super champ in the store and they worked fine. plugged my guitar into the new amp and same problem with the power dropping off.

We then plugged a guitar with EMG 81's into MY fender super champ and with the volume on the guitar anywhere past 5 it was nothing but breaking up,crackling and static coming though the amp. Guitar volume below 5 and it sounded ok.

I then plugged MY guitar into a Roland cube and volume at all positions, in any pickup positiong all worked perfectly fine...

The guy I know that I got the guitar from thinks somehow the pickups output is too much for the amp or the tubes in the amp and are being pushed past their peak.

This is a really messed up problem that I've never heard of or experienced before but I just want to play my new guitar without having this annoying crap happening.
this sounds like it could be serious. that were the other two guitars? what kind of pickups did they have?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
One was just an Epiphone les paul so it would have had some sort of junk pickups in it. The other was a Gibson studio.. Also wich the pickups might have not been too great, or atleast not as much output as my seymour JB.
weird wild shtuff

I have no personal experience with this problem but I do know there were some weird things with this amp (great amp btw) that have been documented on the Fender forums. I'd check thier SuperChamp thread and see if it related.

I was thinking as I read maybe you had some weird 'phase' issue in conjunction with a certain resistor or waveform but that doesn't sound like its the case based on your process of elimination.

Edit: could be pups yes
I thought it could be the pickups or the pots but the weird twist was when I plugged in a different guitar with active pickups right off the wall and it had problems playing through the amp as well but WORSE. My guitar also had problems with the same amp but a brand new one right off the floor in the shop too. Maybe this model amp just really doesnt like high output humbuckers.

PLUS my guitar worked fine through the roland cube.

I'll check out the fender forums for more clues. Thanks! but keep your thoughts comin.
Last edited by 45_shadesofdeat at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by 45_shadesofdeat
I thought it could be the pickups or the pots but the weird twist was when I plugged in a different guitar with active pickups right off the wall and it had problems playing through the amp as well but WORSE. My guitar also had problems with the same amp but a brand new one right off the floor in the shop too. Maybe this model amp just really doesnt like high output humbuckers.

PLUS my guitar worked fine through the roland cube.

I'll check out the fender forums for more clues. Thanks! but keep your thoughts comin.

maybe the tubes are shot and are having a hard time taking high output. get some new tubes and if the problem still persists, take it in to an expert.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by 45_shadesofdeat
I thought it could be the pickups or the pots but the weird twist was when I plugged in a different guitar with active pickups right off the wall and it had problems playing through the amp as well but WORSE.
From your description it appears that the active pickups are overdriving and clipping the front end of the amp. The input stage is a J-FET op amp.
i think this is the amps safety feature to keep you from blowing the input stage.

One way to find out for sure w/o investing is to bring your guitar in to the local music store and test it on a new one.

Then I recommend that you destroy your emgs. (no offence) They are evil and you will likely have to burn them, burry them, dig them up 6 months later, put them into a blender on high for 4 min, drink them, puke them back up, burn them one final time and burry them again.
I did bring it to the amp dealer and they wouldnt admit it was the amp. we tried a brand new one right off the floor and same problem. I talked to the guy at the shop Igot the guitar from and he narrowed it down to exactly what someone said above

"From your description it appears that the active pickups are overdriving and clipping the front end of the amp. The input stage is a J-FET op amp."

The EMG's were on a guitar off the showroom floor though. My guitar just has a Seymour JB "High output passive" The dealer just won't admit the amp is garbage. I contacted out local fender repair shop that the amp dealer uses for warranty repairs and he is getting ahold of Fender directly about the problem. He said he won't know till atleast tuesday. Meanwhile I'm stuck and IF fender even admits their amp cant handle the pickup output I still have to convince my shop of this and make then trade it in for somethin else.

Oh yeah, I already tried changing the preamp tube to a higher gain tube and no help.
Done and Done. Talked to the local Fender warranty repair guy. It IS infact my duncans have too much output and it's ****kicking the preamp stage. Explained this to my local shop I got it from and got my money back. NOW to find a new amp. I hate this part...