I have been trying to develop a short hand way of writing music , for basic text editing packages.
Tab is super useful but does have its flaws , setbacks , and can be quite frustrating
to write for someone who only has "notepad" or the mobile phone to write it on !

anyway The idea I have is to use some symbols from classical guitar notation .

1st: The index finger positition .
Notated by a Roman numeral .

2nd: The string number notated by a number in brackets .
Here i suggest you add a colon : followed by the letter name the string is tuned to in open position .I.E (6:E) for the low e string , or (6) for "drop d tuning "

3rd:the freting hand finger : just a plain number , or where possible a number in bold font .

say we want to play the 1st string on the 5th fret with the index finger

V (1:e) 1

say you want to play the C major scale in 7th position :

VII (6:E):2,4 (5:A)1,2,4 (4)1,2,4(G:3)1,2,4(B:2)2,4(1:e)1,2

How about adding note values ?
W=whole note
1/2 = Half note
1/4= quarter note
1/8= eighth note
1/16= Sixteenth note
. = dotted note

two drotted crochets playing middle C .2nd position =

II(A:3) 2 (1/4.),(1/4.)

for rest write rest instead of fretting hand finger .

II (A:3) 2(8th),2(8th), rest (4th)
say wut?
Höhner llx100g
Gibson explorer
crappy stagg acoustic
Roland dac80d
marshall jcm 900 sl-x 2500
marshall 1960A
ehx metal-muff
jimmy hendrix wah
Yeah, imagine seeing a full page of that... Sure, tab has its drawbacks, but there is already a simpler version of what you're doing, and it's called sheet music...
This doesn't seem to offer any advantages over tablature...

First of all, like webbtje said, it's too complicated so it takes longer to figure out than tab. Second of all, I don't see any way of indicating properly and comprehensively how to play two or more notes simultaneously. And last but not least, tab is pretty much standard here on UG, and every thing tab doesn't offer is covered by sheet music... so it won't be easy inventing and spreading a new and improved way of music notation.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this can work.

ZEDIT:
Quote by gorrath
say wut?

If you don't have anything meaningful to say, don't post, please.
Last edited by ZeGuitarist at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by webbtje
One small problem: it's hideously complicated.

this
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by ibanez1511
im trying to find a way of writing music somewhere in between tab and sheet music , but in a way that is not too much of a headache ! ,

Let me put it this way: if it takes me 5 minutes to write down a chord, let alone a complicated melody or, god forbid, something in a funny time sig, when I could tab it in 10 seconds by quickly jotting it down... nah.
Quote by ibanez1511
im trying to find a way of writing music somewhere in between tab and sheet music , but in a way that is not too much of a headache ! ,
That would be a great thing. Unfortunately, this isn't it.

Continue looking. Maybe you'll find a way, idk.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by ibanez1511

A noble cause indeed... however, tab and sheet music cover pretty much every form of music you can imagine, so I can't see how any new form of notation could add to that.

However, if you're convinced that you'll find something if you keep looking, by all means do. Good luck
Quote by wamguy89
Yeah, imagine seeing a full page of that... Sure, tab has its drawbacks, but there is already a simpler version of what you're doing, and it's called sheet music...

This. Learn to read music.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
This. Learn to read music.

You know, that's not what this thread is about. You're not helping anyone with your smartassery, so kindly remove yourself from this thread.
I also like a numbered notation system, but one thing I quickly found was that numbers should only be used for ONE purpose, or you just have too many of them.

For instance, you could drop string numbers and only use numbers for frets...

'x sixth string
.x fifth
:x fourth
x: third
x. second
x' first

So an open A minor chord could be...

(.0 :2 2: 1. 0') or just (.0 2 2 1 0). Then just get another set of symbols for timing (slashes perhaps).

Just a suggestion. I don't really care for any TAB kind of system.
Last edited by Dodeka at Aug 28, 2009,