This is kinda stupid, but I'd figure I'd ask anyway.

Do you think Hendrix would have played a Jazz bass or a Precision bass? I guess assuming he'd play a Fender is kinda naive, but I already warned you this question was stupid.

I know he played Noel Redding's Jazz bass when recording the Electric Ladyland album, but once again this question is stupid.

Just asking because I'm a huge Hendrix fan and I'm thinking of buying a bass (and yes I know it's stupid to buy an instrument just because of Hendrix, but he did inspire me to take up guitar).

So if you feel like entertaining a stupid question, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
I imagine he would have played a Jazz, since that's what he recorded with and the overall tone just suits his music more. Plus, Jazzes are way cooler and Jimi was awesome.

As far as what you should pick, play some different stuff and pick what you like, don't decide because of the outcome of a hypothetical question.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n
As far as what you should pick, play some different stuff and pick what you like, don't decide because of the outcome of a hypothetical question.

Yeah, I really need to make the trip to a music store.
I just figured I'd ask because I'm thinking of either getting a Jazz Bass or a Precision Bass.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
I take it you play Hendrix and the like? Tone-wise, you'd probably be happy with either, but for versatility, I would go for the Jazz. It's also got a thinner neck, so that may help out with the switch from guitar to bass.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
im pretty sure billy cox used a p bass is the studio and a jazz bass live because the jazz has a higher output, ut it may of been the other way around.
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by TANKER69
im pretty sure billy cox used a p bass is the studio and a jazz bass live because the jazz has a higher output, ut it may of been the other way around.

I can't confirm or denounce that but at Woodstock I believe Billy Cox was using a '50s style precision bass unless my memory is lying to me.

TS I'd go for a Jazz bass because they are way cooler looking and sound so amazingly smooth that any 60s rock fan would probably cream themselves upon hearing one.

Although that's entirely my opinion and I'm sure that some people here (indiebassist) would completely disagree, call me stupid for prefering jazzes to precisions and get banned
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
play both. dont choose your first bass based on what Jimi would play. go try out basses. go from that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
play both. dont choose your first bass based on what Jimi would play. go try out basses. go from that.

Yeah, I will, but the closest music store is kinda far for me still.

But once I do, my plan is to try out a Precision bass, a Jazz bass, and probably a P/J configured bass. A used MIM will probably fall into my budget.
Jazz. I think that he used a J, due to the high output tone. Now that I know something about basses, I can tell, that first bass should be a J (Or P/J) configuration, just because of the ability to select between neck and bridge pickups to get the tone. I was stupid enough to select a P only because of Steve Harris. So my point - whatever suits you best, but If you're not sure - P/J.
well, what bass sound do you like? lemme guess- Noel Reddings?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Well, what bass sound do you like?

I'm not quite sure really; hence why I need to go and try basses out.

All I know is that The Jimi Hendrix Experience is my favorite band, so yeah, I would like something that will give me a good sound for his suff.
Who said it had to be a fender?
IMO, I would love it if hendrix came back from the grave, kicked guitar in it's treble balls, and played a Warwick. Pure, hot, and uncensored...well, you get it.
I can imagine Hendrix playing on a Precision for the hotter pickups, the bite, and the more resonant neck.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5