Alright, so here's my situation: I have a Gibson SG Faded (limited production series, with the ebony fretboard and crescent moon inlays), and I'm trying to decide on a new bridge pickup. Since it's an SG, I'm obviously looking for a humbucker here, but I'm having trouble deciding between a few different kinds. I play mostly rock, specifically 90s-style alt rock. I LOVE Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr., etc., and I'd like something that's going to give me that very harmonic, ringy, humming tone, specifically like what you hear on Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins on songs like Quiet and Hummer. I'm not trying to rip off anybody's sound, just trying to give you guys something specific to go by. Anyway, I've been looking at Lace Sensors, since I know Corgan used them in that era, but I'm not sure what combination of single-coils to use to make up my Dually. I was thinking red-red, since it's going to be the hottest, but I heard it doesn't have much low-end, which would definitely take away from that humming sort of tone I'm after. Then, I was thinking about a red-silver combination, but I'm afraid it won't have enough attack/output to it to give me that intense "wall of sound" kind of 90s thing. Any suggestions?
I have a Fender Princeton 112 right now, but I'm looking into getting a half stack very soon. Not sure what kind yet, though. Possibly a Peavey.
to get some siamese dream sounds just get a big muff russian. youll sound close.

and as far as i know corgan did not use lace sensors especially dualies.
Last edited by Mayonaise 812 at Aug 28, 2009,
He didn't use duallys, but he used a red-silver-blue single coil set in I believe his strat during that era. Would a red-red or red-silver dually sound good with a Big Muff?
I love Siamese dream too. Big Muff and a JCM 800. I think most of the rhythm was a Jazz Master.
Quote by maxmossey
He didn't use duallys, but he used a red-silver-blue single coil set in I believe his strat during that era. Would a red-red or red-silver dually sound good with a Big Muff?

it will sound good but look into a coil splitting set up for sure.
Where you have a humbucker but it can also act as two separate single coils? How does that work? Do you need a 5-way selector switch? Does any modification need to be done to the body?
im sure theres some wiring diagrams you could probably either use a 5 way switch or push pull tone pots.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
WHAt AmP Do yOU HaVe ????????

Well played.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by BobDetroit
I love Siamese dream too. Big Muff and a JCM 800. I think most of the rhythm was a Jazz Master.

KT88 JCM 800

Edit:

Fack, double post.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.