i'm the lazy kind so i prefair to normally stick to one kinds of scales, im kind of tired of switching between minor and major because... i don't know i just feel like it keeps things to varied when i'm the kind who sticks to one thing.

ok i like the dorian mode, no wait i love it, it has all minor pentatonic notes and most major notes meaning doging between the two doesn't become a problem.

is it really bad to just stick to Dorian? i don't mean to sound like a "the pit" kind of guy but i'm just curious if the Dorian is really ranged and can sound good in both minor and major.

thanks anyone.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
^ it's not bad to stick to dorian if your making some good music with it.

Dorian is a minor scale though. Nothing Major about it. There is no switching between Major and dorian (at least not over the same progression).

Play it over a static minor chord, or a dorian progression/vamp.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 28, 2009,
cool. ><
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
You play major over something major, and minor over something minor. You can't just "stick to one thing". And unless what you're over implies dorian you are not playing dorian.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
You play major over something major, and minor over something minor. You can't just "stick to one thing". And unless what you're over implies dorian you are not playing dorian.

He may be playing the parallel dorian mode, in which case, his question makes perfect sense.

Is that correct, TS, that you're trying to play a parallel dorian mode over something, not a relative? As in, if you're playing over something in A minor, you're trying to play A dorian?
Quote by 7even

Well there are cases such as a static minor 7th chord where you can choose the implication. But yeah, if the chord progression is clearly in a particular key.... your melody notes would be in that key as well. (assuming your trying to stay consistent with common practice)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 28, 2009,