Im in need of some serious halp. So last night i bought new strings. I took my guitar apart, cleaned down the fretboard with some lemon oil based wood treater and cleaned all my hardware and pickups with a multi purpose metal polished/cleaner (used for aluminum, brass, copper, steel etc). I also took the pickguard off and cleaned that. I have a Epiphone Explorer

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-1958-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=518454

So today when i plugged in to my pocket pod today i noticed something..... i have no GAIN! when i pull my cable out it makes the fuzzy distorty feedback noise so i know im pumping gain through there, but the moment i plug it in, the sound becomes clean. I can here the distortion in the background VERY quietly. At first i though maybe it was cause i cleaned my pickups with that polish, but wouldnt the pickups not work at all if i broke them from that? Im not a newb so you dont have to ask, is the gain knob up? Is it on?

Please help i cant live without playing my guitar =(
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
I bought a used guitar that had the neck pickup like that. There's plenty of gain on the bridge pickup, but as soon as I switch to the neck pickup, the gain goes away. I'm pretty sure the pickup's fried. In your case, you probably broke them with the polish. Every guitar care guide I've ever read says you're supposed to clean the pickups with just a dry cloth. Sorry.
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by David Blackbird at Aug 28, 2009,
Gain or Distortion does not come from the guitar. It comes from an amplifier, or in this case your pocket pod.

If you can hear the guitar at all through the pod, like it sounds normal but just no distortion, then the guitar is working fine. problem is in the pod.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
sounds like somethings wrong with the pod not the guitar
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
but even when i try the gain on the amp it wont work, i know for a fact the pod works. And both pickup positions dont work. I didnt drown the pickups in polish, and it is creamy, not liquid
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
is it maybe my input jack?
and also when i first plugged it in there was some gain but not alot, then it faded away after a minute or two
Do you have EMG (or other ACTIVE type pickups) on the guitar? I'd check the batteries if you do...

Perhaps the input jack, or the cable...

HOW do you "know for a fact the pod works" ?

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
I'm fairly certain the pickups are bad. You should probably take it to a local repairman.
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
PLay clean. **** distortion and metal in the ass.

Learn some fusion, blues, classical, etc.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I'll ask this as plain as possible...

Pretend you were playing a song with no distortion. Say, just strumming a G Chord with no distortion or overdirve whatsoever. Does it sound normal??

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
yeah it sound pretty normal, its kinda quiete though. And the pickups are standard humbuckers that are passive. and i just plugged my pod into my other guitar, it works
Quote by jonmo1
I'll ask this as plain as possible...

Pretend you were playing a song with no distortion. Say, just strumming a G Chord with no distortion or overdirve whatsoever. Does it sound normal??

On my guitar, the neck pickup sounds 'normal' but there's no gain. Try this (I did this): there should be adjustment screws to raise the pickups. Raise the pickups until they are almost touching the strings. If the gain returns with the pickups like this, they are fried (this is what happened on mine). You might not be able to play normally with the pickups like this; this is just a test.

Quote by David Blackbird
On my guitar, the neck pickup sounds 'normal' but there's no gain. Try this (I did this): there should be adjustment screws to raise the pickups. Raise the pickups until they are almost touching the strings. If the gain returns with the pickups like this, they are fried (this is what happened on mine). You might not be able to play normally with the pickups like this; this is just a test.

ok i will give that a try, ill be right back
ok so i gave it a try and still nothing. I have a tiny bit of crunch but thats it, i think im gonna bring it to my local music place and see what they say. Thanks for the help everyone and if anyone has any other opinions or suggestions please let me know. Thanks