Ok, so I was wondering how would you go about recording the sound directly from an amp

I have a digital camera but would prefer to be able to record the audio from my amp directly onto my computer, if possible

My amp has 2 jacks, one says MP3 in and one says Phones in

Here is a pic

http://www.freebud.co.kr/image/explain/newamp/artec_gp10_6.jpg

I have a small cable, which when I put one end into the amp, and the other into my mp3 player, I could use my amp as a giant speaker

I was wondering if I do the same, but instead of putting it into my mp3 player, place it into my laptop's mic socket on the soundcard, and would that play into my laptop, allowing me to record?
I go from the headphones out to my computer's line in
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
No, the mp3 socket is an input. You may be able to use the headphone output and plug that into either the line in or mic port on your computer. The line in should provide the best clarity but the mic port provides a signal boost should the mic preamp in the amplifier be too weak.
Quote by David Blackbird
I go from the headphones out to my computer's line in

So you use the same cable I mentioned before to go into your headphone port on your comp?

Quote by mattvl
No, the mp3 socket is an input. You may be able to use the headphone output and plug that into either the line in or mic port on your computer. The line in should provide the best clarity but the mic port provides a signal boost should the mic preamp in the amplifier be too weak.

So I should just use the cable to go from my headphone out to my laptop's line in? And how would I go about recording them if it's not going into the mic jack? :s
I also have a similar question. Can I disconnect the speaker from my amp and put the output straight to my computer? I just want to run a cable from my "Internal Speaker" port to my line-in on my computer.
Quote by Ramza126
So I should just use the cable to go from my headphone out to my laptop's line in? And how would I go about recording them if it's not going into the mic jack? :s

Your recording software should have an option somewhere to choose between mic and line-in. The mic in has higher gain on it, because it's for an unamplified microphone, while the line in has lower gain, because it is for a signal that is already amplified (like the signal from an amp).

Quote by NemX162
I also have a similar question. Can I disconnect the speaker from my amp and put the output straight to my computer? I just want to run a cable from my "Internal Speaker" port to my line-in on my computer.

There is a thread on here somewhere about how to attach an output jack to your amp. Search for something like 'adding external speaker jack to amp'.
EDIT: here it is https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1184024
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by David Blackbird at Aug 28, 2009,
u could use the headphone out or use a usb mic
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Your recording software should have an option somewhere to choose between mic and line-in. The mic in has higher gain on it, because it's for an unamplified microphone, while the line in has lower gain, because it is for a signal that is already amplified (like the signal from an amp).

So how do I go about hearing myself playing? (like if I have dist. on, and I have a jack going from headphone out to my line in)
Quote by Ramza126
Quote by David Blackbird

So how do I go about hearing myself playing? (like if I have dist. on, and I have a jack going from headphone out to my line in)

On my computer, the line-in comes back out through the computer speakers.
EDIT: Or you could use a headphone splitter, which you can get at most electronics shops.

Quote by David Blackbird
On my computer, the line-in comes back out through the computer speakers.
EDIT: Or you could use a headphone splitter, which you can get at most electronics shops.

Oh ok. My laptop has speakers so I guess the sound will come out there

So if I used those headphone splitters I think it would make it easier. I wouldn't like to wake people in the middle of the night when I'm playing guitar downstairs (hence why I want to use earphones)

So I plug that male to male headphone jack mentioned earlier into my amp's headphone out, and the other end into my computer's line in. But if I buy a headphone splitter I can plug one end of the male to male jack into my amp's headphone out, the other end into one of the jacks on the headphone splitter (which is in my line in), and my earphone into the free slot on the headphone splitter. So I can hear myself thru my headphones and record with no fuss?

Sorry for the long and confusing post, just really curious and need to get info asap
Quote by Ramza126
Oh ok. My laptop has speakers so I guess the sound will come out there

So if I used those headphone splitters I think it would make it easier. I wouldn't like to wake people in the middle of the night when I'm playing guitar downstairs (hence why I want to use earphones)

So I plug that male to male headphone jack mentioned earlier into my amp's headphone out, and the other end into my computer's line in. But if I buy a headphone splitter I can plug one end of the male to male jack into my amp's headphone out, the other end into one of the jacks on the headphone splitter (which is in my line in), and my earphone into the free slot on the headphone splitter. So I can hear myself thru my headphones and record with no fuss?

Sorry for the long and confusing post, just really curious and need to get info asap

Actually, plug the splitter into the amp and the headphones and m-m cable to the splitter. Also, make sure you mute your computer speakers.
EDIT: You could also just plug the headphones into your computer's headphone jack.

Quote by NemX162

No. You'll blow your amp.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by David Blackbird
Or plug the splitter into the amp and the headphones and m-m cable to the splitter. Also, make sure you mute your computer speakers.

Oh yeah, that would work

Thanks so much
Also, running direct from the headphones jack into your line-in or mic jack will most likely sound dreadful.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
Also, running direct from the headphones jack into your line-in or mic jack will most likely sound dreadful.

I do this, and it sounds fine.