When you play with other musicians issit natural to not enjoy playing with some of them?

Today I was playing with a bassist, who was playing like he was lead guitar, making me play all the rhythm whilst he was lead, and told me to be quiet whenever I tried to solo, and kept telling me to turn distortion and overdrive off cos the only people who use it, use it to cover up their mistakes (basically every rock band ever then) ad kept taking control and making us stop when we were into the groove.

Also I was with a drummer who just wouldn't shut up, which was annoying.

However a couple of weeks ago I was playing with a guitarist, and it was really harmonious and nice, we always were playing in the same key, and played for like prolonged periods of times, unlike the stop-start session with the drummer and bassist.

Is this normal? Do you really have to look for a long time to get bandmates you can play well with?

Share your stories and opinions
Did he know he was holding a bass? How long did you play with him before stabbing out his eyes?
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
No its not normal. That's why no band has ever broken up in the history of music.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Monolith295
Did he know he was holding a bass? How long did you play with him before stabbing out his eyes?

He was playing funky stuff. I was playing post hardcore.

I got angry and gave up when he said my cleanest cleans were distorting, and covering up my mistakes.
yeah. its normal

Ive played with guys and hated every second of it. You just need to find the right people who match your style and personality.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
sounds too familliar!!

well, the drummer bit anyway!
we have been thru so many drummers cos they dont know when to shut up!

you're trying to tune ur guitars, or just talk to each other and they're there just banging away!!

aaargh! just thinkin of it winds me up!!
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
It's not always about YOU, you know?

stop being so conceded and maybe you'll find someone!
enjoi yourself

Quote by Arrived+Dparted

Zeus's beard, I died of laughter
I've gotten pretty lucky with jam buddies percussionwise. Bassists are a true find. 90% of those I've jammed with were confused because I wasn't playing powerchords that they could copy and pound out in eigth note form. Hell, that's why I picked up a bass to begin with. I got into a band playing bass, and three years later we were gigging around the state. It wasn't even my main instrument, haha.

Jamming with someone else isn't about skill, it's about mentallity.

Anywho, in the TS's sitation, it seems like a problem of conflicting interest and style. You'll find someone. Wait till you hit college, it makes all your high-school ventures seem like a joke.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by rooster456 at Aug 28, 2009,
Good times, bad times you know I've had my share
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Im ina band thats made up of a load of mates and thats great for me coz we all get on really well obviously.
We do all kinds of crazy **** like when i was using a short lead into my amp it was just above the ground because of how far i was standing from the amp. When suddenly our bassist's dog tries to run through the wires and the amps that we'd put on top of other collapsed. lol, we were all pissing ourselves with laughter while we had to untangle the dog and make sure the amps still worked.

Basically, find mates of yours that play and have a laugh with them. thats what its all about for me.
I jammed with a guy who wasn't as good as me (yeah, modest ) and he didn't understand the principle of one of us playing chords whilst the other solo's

on the other hand, I've had some awesome jamming times.. I played with a guy whose played for ten years and that was pretty awesome because he understood the principle said above.

and I jammed with a drummer, and we were on a level that was awesome

My favourite all time jam was with three guitarists and a keyboardist and it was amazing 'cos we all traded the chords and shizz, and we made some awesome riffs in that session

there was another time I was with a couple of mates, and one of the keyboards in our schools music room, and it was immense 'cos we had the wedding theme on and we had it on really loud, dancing and ****, until our music teacher walked in.. I sometimes think about this and laugh a lot.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Yeah man, im a bass player and lemme tell you my story

Me and my friends all started playing around the same time in highschool, in like the 10th grade. We all had a band then and needles to say it didnt work and me and the guitar player split from the drummer.

Over the years me and the guitar player kept with our insturments of choice and would play together occasionally but it just never worked. He was too crazy and out there, never wanted to stop and work with eachother, just speed off and fly all over the fretboard and expect me to follow.

Well i always felt infererior, but I never let that stop me from playing. He eventually got back with the drummer and had a successful band playing on stage and whatnot, a year or so later they lost thier bass player and I filled in.

Beleive it or not, it was still exzactly the same. Just did not work. I couldnt fit in with anybody, couldnt even freestyle with the drummer which is somthing I feel as if I've kind of mastered.

Feeling down but not giving up, i just kept on trekin- you know and a couple weeks ago I started playing with another band, and it works so great I cant even begin to explain.

Everything runs smooth, we can all freestyle together and stay in the same key, we've already started working on songs that sound great, its just a huge relief to know that it wasnt just the fact that I sucked back in the other bands, it just didnt work.

Thats just how music is dude, we all see it differently, and the goal is to find people to play with that see music in a way that can relate to the way you see music.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by rooster456
I've gotten pretty lucky with jam buddies percussionwise. Bassist are a true find. 90% of those I've jammed with were confused because I wasn't playing powerchords that they could copy and pound out in eigth note form.

Anywho, in the TS's sitation, it seems like a problem of conflicting interest and style. You'll find someone. Wait till you hit college, it makes all your high-school ventures seem like a joke.

Yeah, were both kinda controlling people me and the bassist (well not controlling, well he is, I'm just planned and want to know many minute details) and the conflicting styles didnt work very well.

He wanted to be Flea from RHCP churning out massive Bass stuff, but I wanted him to just be underlocking my riffs, I guess cos bass is prominent in his style of music, but not in mine.

But yeah...although I play rhythm, I didnt like being but down to sub-bassist levels, and the power struggle wasnt nice.

With the other guitarist I was just jamming on equal levels.

And drummers just interrupt you when youre talking and tuning and discussing stuff, it makes me furious
Quote by mattman93
Good times, bad times you know I've had my share

When my woman left home with a brown eyed man, well, I still don't seem to care

this was my first thought when i read the title too
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
I hate it when I am trying to talk to the other guitar player or we are trying to write something and I tell the drummer to stop and he does for like 5 seconds and then starts back up for another half an hour.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Quote by EndTheRapture51
And drummers just interrupt you when youre talking and tuning and discussing stuff, it makes me furious
In a band I was in that was just kind of some friends and I messing around, nothing serious, the drummer would do this all the time. We eventually confiscated his cymbals when he wouldn't shut up.... sure, he could keep going, but it seems to take the fun out of it for them.
Quote by Ironbodom
I hate it when I am trying to talk to the other guitar player or we are trying to write something and I tell the drummer to stop and he does for like 5 seconds and then starts back up for another half an hour.

My band broke up because of this.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
When I was 15 I went to a musician's camp where they assort you in bands based on your tastes and have you jam and prepare for a show.

I marked down my tastes - ''Metal. (the ****ing music)''.

So as they're doing the sorting, they figure, lets put THIS guy (me) with THIS guy (guy who likes Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, etc various pop punk artists), because of course, pop punk has so much in common with thrash.

Im not going to pretend like I was a saint either, we were both huge dicks to one another. However, after a pretty successful show, I attempted to make peace with him. Grown up now, if I ever met him again I'd either apologize for being a dick if he composes himself with some class, or elbow him across the bridge of the nose if he crosses me.

Point being though, that was a pretty ****ty time jamming with another musician :P
I've jammed with a few people, and all the times it's been really good. Even me, who's more of a blues rocky guy jammed really well with a bunch of metalheads.

Guess I got lucky.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Ironbodom

Jesus Humphrey Christ! I get ulcers just thinking about that.

Ive come to the conclusion long ago that there is something wrong with you and your attention span if you play drums.
I had to jam once with this guy, he was an amazing guitar player. But at the end of every song we did he had to add in like a 20 minute guitar solo. And had to have a breakdown every 3 seconds. I was playing drums and HE was the one who wouldn't shut up. It sucked
There was a point some months ago where I wanted to form a band with some friends.

Both of them play guitar, have absolutely no gear-knowledge, one of them is pretty bad and can't play as good as me at this time (when I have been playing for 7 months).
So, the better guitar player of them wanted me and the other one to play in a band with him, with me as lead-guitarist, himself as rythm guitarist and the other one as bassist, who thought he could play bass too because he can play guitar.
There was nobody who could have done drumming so they had the idea to wait till a classmate (who thinks playing an instrument about 3 hours a day is emberassing) learned to drum.
The next problem would have been the equipment. I have a 15W Vypyr, the other guy a 10W crap amp, the bassist had no bass gear, and the drummer had no idea when he's gonna get a drumset.
Then I asked about the genre we would play. The answer: "We'll make a jazzband, a bluesband and maaaaybe a hardrockband. And we'll call all of them 'The Johnnies'." (that guy is called Johny).
After some time I realised that I haven't even had enough experience yet.

I will never ever start a band with these people.
*MASSIVE facepalm for the whole idea*
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I was playing bass with this guy once, but I swear all he wanted me to do was play eighth notes, wouldn't let me run up or anything. So I started fucking with him, telling him his cleans were distorted and covering up his mistakes, telling him to stop soloing for a different reason every time, each one more ridiculous...... Such a waste of time, but oh well, I had fun

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
I was playing bass with this guy once, but I swear all he wanted me to do was play eighth notes, wouldn't let me run up or anything. So I started fucking with him, telling him his cleans were distorted and covering up his mistakes, telling him to stop soloing for a different reason every time, each one more ridiculous...... Such a waste of time, but oh well, I had fun

Shuup, seriously though. I was not allowed to improvise or anything, it was stupid, i guess its just a clash of our egos.

And he told me Drop D was stupid, I should stay in Standard, and palm muting and pedal tones were stupid.
I can usually jam with my lead guitarist without drums easily, we just lock into a groove and we both stay in beat. That's always fun. Then there's my rhythm guitarist, who can not keep up with anything. He's always too late or too early for a riff, can not follow the drums, and is a pretty lackluster guitarist.
Yeah usually when we get together for a band practice people just sit around making 'noise' on their instruments for like 20 minutes before we actually attempt a song together. One day I just sat there and stared at everyone else noodling on their instrument, wondering how long it would take them to realize how much time we're wasting.

And other times people insist on watching youtube videos and playing ping-pong in between songs. Then they give you a very funny, confused look the next day when you tell them you want to quit the band because they aren't taking things seriously enough.