I am planning on getting a new guitar for metal and shred. Gibson Les Paul easily works for everything else (including metal and shred, but it lacks upper fret access).

Influences: Megadeth, Metallica, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Randy Rhoads, Jeff Loomis.

Essentially, I need a guitar that can handle copious amounts of distortion/gain if necessary. I do not so much need good cleans, but I want a tone that is full and not terrible. I would rather not do a pickup swap, and I do not need the best guitar possible.

I am willing and probably will go used. I do not feel like building my own guitar through Warmoth. Eventually I will...

Finally, the important stuff:

Price Range: $500 max

Specifications desired:

WOOD:

Basswood, Alder or Mahogany body wood

Don't care about top wood. I'm not too familiar with them.

Preferably Rosewood or Ebony Fretboard

NECK STUFF:

24 frets (I can live with 22, but then it MUST have a double locking tremelo. See below)

Good upper fret access

Jumbo Frets

ELECTRONICS/GUTS

High output or active pickups (I do not have a preference towards Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio or EMG)

I would prefer a H/H or H/S/H pickup combo. I'm not fond of H/S/S. I can live with a single bridge humbucker

Need at least volume knob (this is a given). Don't necessarily need a tone knob, but it's a plus. Another volume is also a plus.

OTHER:

Good double locking trem is preferred. Note about Floyd Rose: It does not have to be an original, as long as it does not go out of tune and can do its job properly. I do not care if it's an Edge, or a Original Floyd Rose, licensed Floyd Rose a ZR, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTE: I WOULD PREFER A TREMELO, BUT IF NOT POSSIBLE, DON'T WORRY

Either 24.75 or 25.5 scale length

With finishes, I would prefer nothing not too over the top. I do not want to have to pay more for a finish (such as the fact that the Eerie dess swirl on Jackson guitars are $150 more). Also, I would prefer more darker colors. As awesome as pink and yellow guitars are, I do not want one now.

I don't care about hardware color

That's pretty much it. For the people who are tl;dr, I'll simplify it:

Metal/Shred Guitar:

$500
24 frets
High output or active pickups
H/H , H/S/H or H
Tremelo preferred, but not necessity
Tone knob and 2nd volume knob not necessary, but are a plus
Good upper fret access
Alder wood

TS is here

TS is not here
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Maybe a Used Schecter. C-1's are definitely worth it. You might be able to get a used C-1 from 2008 for around there. (don't quote me on that.)

Your best bet imo would be to go to your local music store, tell the guy there what you are looking for, then play and test everything you see.
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
LTD man... get an LTD MH with emgs.... or if you want easy upper fret access... look at a schecter hellraiser V-1
you could get one used for around 500
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Forgot to mention. I'm looking at used Jackson Kelly's and RR V's.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX

Fits specs perfectly. (Well, i dont know what it costs in dollars)
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Quote by Sir Anonymous
Are you picky about neck shape?

Not in particular, no.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Schecter C-1....which one? There are tons of them. Also, I went into a music store and tried that before. It did not really help much.

LTD MH looks interesting. I will definitely try one out.

Schecter Hellraiser V also looks very interesting, however I cannot find one for under $750 =(

Jackson DXMG also looks good. Will check that out also.

The Ibanez guitars: I've had very bad experiences with Edge III tremelos, so preferably not.

I tried a KH-202, and it was terrible in comparison with the KH-602. If I was going into that line of guitars, I would rather save up a few more hundred dollars than try to buy the 202.

The Schecter Blackjack C-1 ATX is fine, except it's out of my price range!
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
C-1 Blackjack, Plus, Classic, Hellraiser, idk, pick one. I think the blackjack is the cheapest. You could probably find one used for b$500-$600 if you drop the floyd rose
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Junnage
Schecter C-1....which one? There are tons of them. Also, I went into a music store and tried that before. It did not really help much.

LTD MH looks interesting. I will definitely try one out.

Schecter Hellraiser V also looks very interesting, however I cannot find one for under $750 =(

Jackson DXMG also looks good. Will check that out also.

The Ibanez guitars: I've had very bad experiences with Edge III tremelos, so preferably not.

I tried a KH-202, and it was terrible in comparison with the KH-602. If I was going into that line of guitars, I would rather save up a few more hundred dollars than try to buy the 202.

The Schecter Blackjack C-1 ATX is fine, except it's out of my price range!

I can vouch for the Jackson, been using the same model as my backup guitar when I gig, absolutely solid, and it sounds good.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Will check those out in a sec. But since you said the Blackjack is the cheapest, and without a floyd, it is already $500-$600, it does not seem favorable.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Well Priced Quality at it's finest
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444
Well Priced Quality at it's finest

Even if that is true (I have no reason to not believe you), it is out of my price range, and I frankly just cannot afford it.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
Even if that is true (I have no reason to not believe you), it is out of my price range, and I frankly just cannot afford it.

Redundance
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
Redundance

I found it necessary to repeat myself twice because people keep giving me direciton to guitars out of my $500 price range

Just to make sure they heard.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
I found it necessary to repeat myself twice because people keep giving me direciton to guitars out of my $500 price range

Just to make sure they heard.

The only reason I posted the Jackson that was $540 was because in the used section it's around $480, just to clear my name
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
The only reason I posted the Jackson that was $540 was because in the used section it's around $480, just to clear my name

Yep, I saw that haha. Any other suggestions?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
For $500 you should be able to find a (very) used RG 550 or 570. Which, I think, fits your specs.

I saw some one eBay, but I don't exactly remember forum policy for posting eBay links.
Quote by Sir Anonymous
For $500 you should be able to find a (very) used RG 550 or 570. Which, I think, fits your specs.

I saw some one eBay, but I don't exactly remember forum policy for posting eBay links.

Just PM it to me. If you don't want to, then PM me anyway, and I'll reply with my e-mail and you can send the link to that. Thanks
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
what about a cort evl-x4 ??

the evl series are very good and have a good quality/price ratio
Quote by steven seagull
Howver, Spider have pretty lights to keep kids with ADD occupied.

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I have never seen a Cort guitar in real life before. I've looked around and have been unable to locate one. I would want to try the guitar first.

The Washburn N2 doesn't really seem too appealing to me, considering the WM24V has more of the specs that I prefer. At the same time, the WV40 also looks pretty...radical.

I did not like the Epiphone Goth Explorers that I've tried (when I was shopping for my last guitar, the Gibson)

I also dislike the Jackson KVX10, and all of the very low line Jackson guitars. I'm looking for something more.

and yes, the Warrior shape is not bad. And I'm personally more for the specs, than for the looks, anyway.
I've found deals on Jackson RR3 and KE3's in my price range. Do they blow the rest of these out of the water, so to speak?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
I have never seen a Cort guitar in real life before. I've looked around and have been unable to locate one. I would want to try the guitar first.

The Washburn N2 doesn't really seem too appealing to me, considering the WM24V has more of the specs that I prefer. At the same time, the WV40 also looks pretty...radical.

I did not like the Epiphone Goth Explorers that I've tried (when I was shopping for my last guitar, the Gibson)

I also dislike the Jackson KVX10, and all of the very low line Jackson guitars. I'm looking for something more.

and yes, the Warrior shape is not bad. And I'm personally more for the specs, than for the looks, anyway.
I've found deals on Jackson RR3 and KE3's in my price range. Do they blow the rest of these out of the water, so to speak?

From what I've found, yes, they do. The RR3 has great playability, and the thing screams, I'm just not fond of the shape. The KE3 outdo most, if not all of the lower end Jacksons.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-WRXT-Warrior-Electric-Guitar?sku=520326

In black, $500 dollars.

Alder Body
LFR
SCREAMING Pups
Volume and Tone knobs
Comes with a gig bag

I personally LOVE the warrior, in terms of looks, sounds, and playability. I highly recommend trying one out.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
From what I've found, yes, they do. The RR3 has great playability, and the thing screams, I'm just not fond of the shape. The KE3 outdo most, if not all of the lower end Jacksons.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-WRXT-Warrior-Electric-Guitar?sku=520326

In black, $500 dollars.

Alder Body
LFR
SCREAMING Pups
Volume and Tone knobs
Comes with a gig bag

I personally LOVE the warrior, in terms of looks, sounds, and playability. I highly recommend trying one out.

Will try that out.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Go ahead and try the higher end Schecters out. It's very easy to find them in near mint condition and well within your price range on Ebay.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by ibrahimasood
This is probably the most organized thread ever. Look at some Ibanez I'd say.

Thank you. Would you suggest any specific models?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
Just PM it to me. If you don't want to, then PM me anyway, and I'll reply with my e-mail and you can send the link to that. Thanks

Messaged.